Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember when they switched to plastic bags and straws to save the planet.

Doesn't that car have tire chains on the back tires?
Looks like its getting pulled out from being stuck, and with a dead battery to boot.

POS electric car.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This reminds me of an post I read on a Chinese Diesel Heater forum.
One person was going to buy a diesel heater for his Tesla because heating it in cold weather resulted in a shorter range.
I guess we won't be eliminating the evil fossil fuels any time soon and switching to the pollution free, pristine electric energy that magically flows from outlets in our walls.

I'm not opposed to electric vehicles. I think, at this point, it would be an excellent second car. When the range improves, and hopefully the price drops, it would be a good only vehicle.
Until then, we'll be depending on fossil fuels for our energy needs.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/22 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is almost as funny as the post of a "Help Truck" towing a trailer with a diesel powered generator, setup to charge stranded EVs.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Ok. But pre-heating is not the reason he has it plugged into a generator. It was mentioned that there was a charging station close by so range extension wasn’t either. Unless maybe he didn’t know it was there or maybe it was broken or who knows. But you definitely don’t need a generator or any power source for pre-heating or pre conditioning. We have a project going on in the garage right now so every night our tesla sits outside in minus 20 degrees celcius or worse and not plugged in. Pre-heating consists of pulling out the phone and selecting the pre-heat control on the App. 5 to 7 minutes later the Interior of the car has gone from minus 20 to plus 20 and the windows are defrosted and the seats are warm.

Why wouldn't it be the reason? I've been flying electric radio controlled airplanes for years that use lithium batteries similar to what you find in modern EVs. In cold temperatures the battery capacity is severely reduced. Sure you can use the battery to warm itself but the capacity is still severely reduced (usually permanently at this point), so we'd put them inside our coats to warm them before going flying. An external source of heat. So you're not drawing down and damaging the already stressed battery until it is up to operating temperature.

Maybe there was a charge station "nearby" but it was not THERE. Maybe the car owner didn't know there was a station there.

People love to post pictures like this, point, and make fun. I fail to see anything fun or funny about it. It's very practical in locations that may not have infrastructure to support EVs yet.

Wonder if the guys with horses used to point and laugh at the first car guys who brought along extra gasoline to areas where gas stations had not reached yet.

Lookit this guy... What an IDIOT!!!

[image]

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Ok. But pre-heating is not the reason he has it plugged into a generator. It was mentioned that there was a charging station close by so range extension wasn’t either. Unless maybe he didn’t know it was there or maybe it was broken or who knows. But you definitely don’t need a generator or any power source for pre-heating or pre conditioning. We have a project going on in the garage right now so every night our tesla sits outside in minus 20 degrees celcius or worse and not plugged in. Pre-heating consists of pulling out the phone and selecting the pre-heat control on the App. 5 to 7 minutes later the Interior of the car has gone from minus 20 to plus 20 and the windows are defrosted and the seats are warm.

Why wouldn't it be the reason? I've been flying electric radio controlled airplanes for years that use lithium batteries similar to what you find in modern EVs. In cold temperatures the battery capacity is severely reduced. Sure you can use the battery to warm itself but the capacity is still severely reduced (usually permanently at this point), so we'd put them inside our coats to warm them before going flying. An external source of heat. So you're not drawing down and damaging the already stressed battery until it is up to operating temperature.

Maybe there was a charge station "nearby" but it was not THERE. Maybe the car owner didn't know there was a station there.

People love to post pictures like this, point, and make fun. I fail to see anything fun or funny about it. It's very practical in locations that may not have infrastructure to support EVs yet.

Wonder if the guys with horses used to point and laugh at the first car guys who brought along extra gasoline to areas where gas stations had not reached yet.

Lookit this guy... What an IDIOT!!!

[image]

Yah. I agreed with everything you just said. But for pre-heating the Tesla doesn’t work like that. The poster mentioned he had been running the genny for 24 hours. It takes 5 or 7 minutes to pre-heat the tesla and it can do it from it’s own battery. He or she was running the genny for other reasons. Probably low charge. Makes sense, albeit really slow. Even at 24 amps 120 volts from that genny.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Tesla uses 2.4 kw per mile at highway speeds. The generator could keep up with that, since it does about 2.6 kw.

Gary thanks for the link.

I'm not sure how you came up with that, but your math seems a little goofy. 2.6 kw is just over 3 hp. It takes a lot more than 3 hp to move a 4000 lb car at 60 mph, regardless of how efficient it is.

My math came up a little different. I googled that the average Tesla uses 34 kwh per 100 miles at highway speeds. That's 340 watt/hours per mile. In one hour at 60 mph, you obviously travel 60 miles, so 340 watt/hours x 60 = power consumption rate of 20.4 kw. That equates to just under 28 hp, which sounds much more reasonable to move a 4000 lb car at 60 mph.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Tesla uses 2.4 kw per mile at highway speeds. The generator could keep up with that, since it does about 2.6 kw.

Gary thanks for the link.

I'm not sure how you came up with that, but your math seems a little goofy. 2.6 kw is just over 3 hp. It takes a lot more than 3 hp to move a 4000 lb car at 60 mph, regardless of how efficient it is.

My math came up a little different. I googled that the average Tesla uses 34 kwh per 100 miles at highway speeds. That's 340 watt/hours per mile. In one hour at 60 mph, you obviously travel 60 miles, so 340 watt/hours x 60 = power consumption rate of 20.4 kw. That equates to just under 28 hp, which sounds much more reasonable to move a 4000 lb car at 60 mph.

I think the confusion is in the difference between motive force required to move the car and how much energy the car uses in a certain distance. For example, after 7 years of driving an EV our lifetime average is 6.4 kilometres per 1 kwh of electricity. Which of course is different than what it takes to actually push the car down the road at 100 kph.

* This post was edited 01/03/22 08:26pm by Reisender *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor,

I found 24 kw to move 100 miles, on the wobbly wide web. (model 3 Tesla)

However I did not know that when plugged in the tesla won't move. I guess that is a good safety feature.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

rjstractor,

I found 24 kw to move 100 miles, on the wobbly wide web. (model 3 Tesla)

However I did not know that when plugged in the tesla won't move. I guess that is a good safety feature.

Good morning Don. It’s not just Tesla. It’s any electric vehicle that uses a J1772 charging protocol. So 100 percent of all electric vehicles that are not home built. Once it is plugged in it’s not moving.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Yah. I agreed with everything you just said. But for pre-heating the Tesla doesn’t work like that. The poster mentioned he had been running the genny for 24 hours. It takes 5 or 7 minutes to pre-heat the tesla and it can do it from it’s own battery. He or she was running the genny for other reasons. Probably low charge. Makes sense, albeit really slow. Even at 24 amps 120 volts from that genny.

Maybe you missed the part about "severely reduced capacity in cold temperatures?"

Sure you can warm it up using its own batteries, but how much of a hit on range will there be pulling from the cold batteries?

Maybe the owner ran the generator to keep the car and batteries warm for the 24 hours it sat there, rather than let the batteries get cold and having to start from scratch? That generator can't run for 24 hours at full capacity, and isn't all that quiet so I doubt it was actually charging the car. Those Hondas are really only quiet at idle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.