cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US 12 Lolo MT to Kooskia Id

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Laying out our 3 to 4 month 2022 trip. Our plan is to pick up US 12 west of Minnesota and run to somewhere in Oregon with numerous stops along the way. We will be traveling in our 2020 26ft Class C with no tow. I'm looking at the section of US 12 between Lolo Mt and Kooskia Idaho. I see that it runs through mountains of the Nez-Perce Clearwater National Forest. I've been Checking it out on Google maps but I'm wondering if any folks here have been over it in a class C similar to ours. I looks like a good camping area and exploring.
As always your advise is appreciated.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
13 REPLIES 13

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Walla Walla, WA! Turn south on WA 125 toward Pendleton, West on I-84 to US 97!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
As always I appreciate the advise.
I think I'll stay on US 12 to Wallula Wa then work my way to US 97 south to Crater Lake National Park. From there....who knows!!
Thanks again!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
If your on the state roads in those areas you will not have any problems
Winnebago Access 24V

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
A favorite stretch of road of ours. Did it with a 40' FW. No issues at all. Enjoy. Betsy.
Betsy

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine on that stretch. I've ridden it numerous times, usually on the motorcycle, but a semi could travel that road so you shouldn't have any trouble at all. It is a beautiful area, enjoy.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 12 curves northwest at Walla Walla, WA and is part of I 82 to just north of Yakima. Conitues over White Pas and onto Grays Harbor WA. It does not go into OR.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wguss
Explorer
Explorer
It's a great route. We've taken it many times when heading west from the Rockies in our 30' class A. There is a hill going west over the Lolo Pass but it's no big deal and there's not much traffic to be a problem. We have camped at Powell Campground numerous times and then headed down along the river on a easy pace at 45 mph and in the morning there's very little traffic either way as you're 1 1/2 hours from Lolo and even more from the traffic heading east.

From Powell along the 12 into Oregon we then stay at the conjunction of I-84 and the 97 at Mary Hill Campground right on the Columbia River.

Great part of our trip.

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Good road and lots of campgrounds. You will not have any issue with your rig, use lower gears on the west side. Lots of Lewis and Clark sites. Be sure to stop and see the Travelers Rest site in Lolo MT.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for this information. I'm not sure how far west we will go yet. We ran the lengthy of US 2 four years ago but our destinations were Glacier National and US 101 at Olympia around the loop then south.. This trip we want to check out the Dakota's, Montana and Idaho more closely. So at this time I'm not sure how far west We will go. Fortunately we have plenty of time and if it gets to close autumn we'll head south.
2020 JAYCO 26XD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is a steep down hill run westbound from Lolo Pass. Use lower gears and watch using brakes too much causing over heating. Good highway, numerous pull offs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Good road but you won't set any speed records. Follows the river so lot of curves. Lot of turnouts. The road was used a few years ago to move some million pound plus loads from Lewiston into the Alberta oil fields, so it was revamped to accommodate. We overnighted in Lolo (going west) at https://www.lolocampndance.com/ neat mom and pop place right on river.

If I was to do it again I would stay around Lewiston, our granddaughter was about ready to commit mutiny before I got to the COE park near Burbank, WA.

Lolo Pass is steep climb about five miles long. The west side isn't too bad after the first couple miles.

We were in a 35' V10 gasser with a toad.

Where to in Oregon?

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We went through there in 19 driving our CC duallie pulling a 30' 5th wheel. It's a beautiful drive. We stayed at the Pink House BLM campground right on the river just west of Orofino. It's a very nice campground with amenities

Update: Sorry I looked at the map again and Pink house Campground is over 30 mi west of Kooskia

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
It is a good highway with good scenery. When you get into Idaho, it follows the river with many campgrounds. Don't know what months you are planning on but if spring or autumn you could have snow.