cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did the Non weekend RVers go?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I normally don’t read this forum like I did 10 years ago, so maybe this is an inaccurate observation. But,

There was a time when the Class A, Full Timer, and Snowbird forums had many posters on a daily basis. The first one still has some current life too it, but the last two seem to be DOA. Are people just weekenders/weekly nowadays?
There’s no fool, like an old fool.
24 REPLIES 24

eend
Explorer
Explorer
I’m thinking that they are all producing TickTock videos of their vacations in their rv’s.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
First off, its winter, after the winterizing posts end, they won't get started again until spring with a bunch of battery posts.

I posted here all the time for many years, almost 6000 posts, starting back in 2005, until it was overrun with jerks. One even posted in this thread. I moved over to IRV2 and only visit here about once every two months for a few minutes. Just nothing going on here.

As an example, I do a lot of mods, share them with others and take phone calls from all over the country, helping people fix things and even make custom parts for them for free. I feel if I can help someone save money, I've done a good thing and it makes me feel good.

When I bought my new 2014 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis, (side radiator) it would make a heck of a dust storm on dirt roads because of the way the radiator fan was situated. I created a shield to redirect air under the coach and shared it with others on here and IRV2. A few months later, on IRV2, another poster had his son making them in a fab shop and selling them. A year later, Freightliner adopted the idea and began selling the same shield for $800.00, plus install.

When I purchased my 2019 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis, it was the first year that the shield was now standard equipment.

Sooooo.....when I originally posted the solution and plans to make the shield on here, the same jerk who posted in this thread, tried to tell me that my coach was not operating properly. That was it, I no longer posted mods on here. I see now he has been booted off another forum for being a jerk! It's too bad, it only takes a few to ruin it for others.

One good thing has come from this forum, Wolfe10 is now posting on IRV2 and his knowledge is very welcomed.

IRV2 can be very strict, but sometimes that it takes to keep the jerks from ruining a site.

I think this forum could recover, but it would take some people willing to come back and share their knowledge and ideas, without knuckleheads making comments.

Out of maybe 15 post in a thread there will always be one dumb, or irritating, argumentative, or know-it-all, or someone with just no social graces posting. Ignoring is the only way. If you ask how to make cookies you will get a reply to "use an oven" and that forum user will be pleased that he was able to help you bake, literally. Other will give you knowledge of how to actually do it from start to finish. That's just the forum.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
One good thing has come from this forum, Wolfe10 is now posting on IRV2 and his knowledge is very welcomed...

Good to know he’s still around. He helped me more then once over a decade plus of Class A PT’ing.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
First off, its winter, after the winterizing posts end, they won't get started again until spring with a bunch of battery posts.

I posted here all the time for many years, almost 6000 posts, starting back in 2005, until it was overrun with jerks. One even posted in this thread. I moved over to IRV2 and only visit here about once every two months for a few minutes. Just nothing going on here.

As an example, I do a lot of mods, share them with others and take phone calls from all over the country, helping people fix things and even make custom parts for them for free. I feel if I can help someone save money, I've done a good thing and it makes me feel good.

When I bought my new 2014 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis, (side radiator) it would make a heck of a dust storm on dirt roads because of the way the radiator fan was situated. I created a shield to redirect air under the coach and shared it with others on here and IRV2. A few months later, on IRV2, another poster had his son making them in a fab shop and selling them. A year later, Freightliner adopted the idea and began selling the same shield for $800.00, plus install.

When I purchased my 2019 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis, it was the first year that the shield was now standard equipment.

Sooooo.....when I originally posted the solution and plans to make the shield on here, the same jerk who posted in this thread, tried to tell me that my coach was not operating properly. That was it, I no longer posted mods on here. I see now he has been booted off another forum for being a jerk! It's too bad, it only takes a few to ruin it for others.

One good thing has come from this forum, Wolfe10 is now posting on IRV2 and his knowledge is very welcomed.

IRV2 can be very strict, but sometimes that it takes to keep the jerks from ruining a site.

I think this forum could recover, but it would take some people willing to come back and share their knowledge and ideas, without knuckleheads making comments.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Well in my case a nice semi driver "nicked" my bedroom slide just enough to total the motor home so I moved into an apartment and gave up the RV life for now.. Do not know yet if I'll ever go back to it.. Kind of liking not moving every week or two.

Off topic, but since I’m the OP I’ll let myself off.

Didn’t you just put a new motor in that rig a few years back? That “nick” must have been a heart breaker day.

Known a few to FT to the bitter end, but not too many. Good luck with the new lifestyle.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
QCMan wrote:
Not grumpy old man syndrome at all. Been camping for a long time and like the rest of the world I have noticed the respect level for anybody and anything has gone way down. Given that, I still do not use my outside speakers or start a fire under the window of the next campers slideout or dump my tanks while the neighbor is eating at his table ten feet away. These and many other details keep most people happy at the campsite. Sadly, looking around at other campers there are fewer smiles and more scowls.

I'm going to agree with you to a point that are standards are changing.
When did it become OK to swear when writing a public letter or post.
I read differnt diatribes where people will use the F bomb very casualy to describe something. Or throw is a couple of other bad terms just for good measure. Maybe I have old man syndrome but is it OK to use the F word casually in a public written dialogue?
Do we have to lower the bar that low? Is allowing swearing keeping it real!
Just to be clear I don't see the F bomb phenomenom on this forum but I see it plenty of places
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not grumpy old man syndrome at all. Been camping for a long time and like the rest of the world I have noticed the respect level for anybody and anything has gone way down. Given that, I still do not use my outside speakers or start a fire under the window of the next campers slideout or dump my tanks while the neighbor is eating at his table ten feet away. These and many other details keep most people happy at the campsite. Sadly, looking around at other campers there are fewer smiles and more scowls.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well in my case a nice semi driver "nicked" my bedroom slide just enough to total the motor home so I moved into an apartment and gave up the RV life for now.. Do not know yet if I'll ever go back to it.. Kind of liking not moving every week or two.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like grumpy old man syndrome to me. I am 80 and park my DP in private campgrounds. Have never used state parks etc and have never seen what you mention. Was in Myrtle Beach before Christmas then went to South FL and got back here to central NC last night. QC just sounds unhappy....I post frequently!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
I read and participate in a few forums and have noticed the same thinning of posts. We have also stopped using some of the great campgrounds that are within a few hours of us due to the inconsiderate actions of the current batch of newbies. The kids don't bother us, but the 20 and 30 somethings that think the world needs to know them can drive this non drinker to drink. Why do our dogs need to know each other? Why do we need to know each other? We sure miss the days of meeting your neighboring camper when it seemed convenient to both of you.
Walking through a campground used to be a joy with all the different ways folks set up their site. Now walking the dogs is a major chore due to having to avoid the #$&*@ running over to pet dogs they do not know and don't ask about first. Seeing all the cameras, security lights and high tech locks on their minimalist campers makes me wonder if the place is less safe because of them. We have taken to using only motor coach campgrounds as we have had good luck avoiding the idiots there. Maybe in a couple of years things will return to normal when the folks with more money than brains latch onto something else to do like cliff jumping.

Sounds like a regional thing. In 12 year of RV camping I've never seen what you describe.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
QCMan wrote:
I read and participate in a few forums and have noticed the same thinning of posts. We have also stopped using some of the great campgrounds that are within a few hours of us due to the inconsiderate actions of the current batch of newbies. The kids don't bother us, but the 20 and 30 somethings that think the world needs to know them can drive this non drinker to drink. Why do our dogs need to know each other? Why do we need to know each other? We sure miss the days of meeting your neighboring camper when it seemed convenient to both of you.
Walking through a campground used to be a joy with all the different ways folks set up their site. Now walking the dogs is a major chore due to having to avoid the #$&*@ running over to pet dogs they do not know and don't ask about first. Seeing all the cameras, security lights and high tech locks on their minimalist campers makes me wonder if the place is less safe because of them. We have taken to using only motor coach campgrounds as we have had good luck avoiding the idiots there. Maybe in a couple of years things will return to normal when the folks with more money than brains latch onto something else to do like cliff jumping.

Or, more succinctly, "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Another case of GOMS here...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I'm a fulltimer and participate in other RV forums where the fulltimer community is much more active. If anything, I think the last couple of years have seen a significant increase in fulltimers, especially among the pre-retirement crowd. With so many working from home, a home that can be pretty much where ever you want it to be is certainly attractive.

I believe you may be correct. I took a walk through my old park and was amazed at the number of kid’s bicycles there were. At one time it was mostly an AARP snowbird destination. Guessing they don’t use old forums to interact like RV.Net anymore.

Covid19 made work from home the new normal.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
This site has lost a lot of its former steam.

That's the problem in a nutshell. Other sites are running on electricity.
Puma 30RKSS