cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where are all of the snowbirds?

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering why there is no action on this forum thread anymore? There used to be quite a few posts on here. I know there are still snowbirds out there.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
32 REPLIES 32

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Counted a RV Convoy of 22 RV's rolling across the causeway into Rockport, TX Feb. 1st.! They are moving around the south.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Galvanizd wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
We're late to the party. Left Wisconsin straight south this Monday (while it's snowing of course), and didn't see any rvs that day for 460 miles. Started seeing a few getting near Arkansas (mostly new ones for delivery). Many more on I-30. Almost halfway to our first destination, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, but taking a couple days off near Dallas now.
JK

Have you been to Organ Pipe before? Just curious. We pass by there a few times a year.

This will be our 3rd time there. Staying a whole week this time.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
We're late to the party. Left Wisconsin straight south this Monday (while it's snowing of course), and didn't see any rvs that day for 460 miles. Started seeing a few getting near Arkansas (mostly new ones for delivery). Many more on I-30. Almost halfway to our first destination, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, but taking a couple days off near Dallas now.
JK

Have you been to Organ Pipe before? Just curious. We pass by there a few times a year.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
"The cost of renting a site in our park for 4 months is around $800+/-." We do a yearly for $4000.00 which allows us to stay for 6 months but leave the TT all year and can develop our site with more concrete, flowers, shed and Gazebo. Good having permanent neighbors. There is always a waiting list here so they must be doing it right.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks from the north arriving here in palm Creek golf and rv resort in Casa Grande Az.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
There is a constant flow of RVs here in Florida. Our park has a few vacancies, but overall, it's been fairly full since January 1. In fact, here in Citrus County 2 new RV parks with 400-500 sites are being planned and built.

Sometimes I think snowbirds find the park or parks of their choice and keep the info to themselves. When we first started snowbirding in February 2013 we didn't need reservations because there were plenty of vacancies throughout Florida. In fact, it was that way for the first couple of years. Those first couple of winters we did 6-8 different parks. Once the effects of the Great Recession slowed the great snowbird migration seemed to pick up. With all that sites got harder to come by. We now stay in one park for 4 months and have renewed the same site each year.

Another issue that I see is happening more and more is that with the sky-high price of homes local Florida residents (and also some former snowbirds) live permanently in their RVs. The cost of renting a site in our park for 4 months is around $800+/-. That's a lot cheaper than renting or buying a home. We are seeing more sites taken by folks with FL license plates and as long as the park enforces clean-not cluttered sites then they are happy to rent year around. Personally, I wouldn't live in FL year around due to the summer heat.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Galvanizd wrote:
Well, I'm in Nevada right now. Just left Northern Arizona. Getting ready to head to southern Arizona in a couple of weeks . After the Quartzsite show, heading down to Northern Mexico.

Same thing happening over on the Mexico/South America section. Not much regular activity/posting. A few. A few of the same people post their opinions, which is what most of these threads are about...opinions. Then a disagreement. Topic goes off topic with rants and attacks. Moderator steps in....another set of opinions and closes the topic down.

For me, it gets tedious....especially when I'm looking for or trying to pass on information about Snowbirding or Mexico, so I don't post as much as I used to.

Might get a partial answer to where the snow birds are at Quartzsit rv show. We'll see.

But that's just my opinion.

Just getting ready to leave Quartzsite . Spent the weekend here for the show. The place was jam packed. We drove around and there were rv's everywhere. This is our 22nd year. I believe there were more rv'shere than last year.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We just changed one of our overnights while we travel to our winter destination and found that openings were sparse. We were a bit surprised that Florida State parks now have โ€œbookingโ€ and โ€œutilityโ€ charges that add 13 bucks to the site fee. We still think these are some of the best State Parks in the country, but why hide it until checkout.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting into a FL state park is always difficult even tho we have almost 200 parks, not all allow camping. But we just came from the Chiefland area and parks there are about 2/3 full and are charging 35-40 a night and 500-800 or so a month with power charges.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....all the commercial parks around us (3 of them, with close to 1000 sites combined) jam packed. Forget about getting into a State park (unless you want just 1 night). This, in extreme northeast Florida, where temps are not exactly tropical, but consistently above 50 to 60F...most of the commercial parks near us charge in excess of $90 + taxes per night !
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....we have been in North Florida since the end of November. All the State Parks in our region are quite solidly booked. Its almost impossible to get more than 1 night in a row (have to be extremely lucky). We are heading over to Anastasia State Park in a couple of hours to take another look....

Our local KOA looks quite solidly booked, too. That, since before Christmas.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Parks in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas) appear to be less full every year for the last ten. Aged group is not being replenished by young. Five years ago there were three sold out Saturday night dances within five miles of Alamo, Texas. Now there is one. Younger people dance. Older stay in the Midwest and have foot surgery. The way the world works.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
There are a lot of Snowbirds here in Yuma !!

Did Yuma once but my son said Yuma sucks come to Tuscon did that as that was where he lived .... finally my son after 28 years in Tuscon said I moving back to Michigan ... why did I leave.
Not to worry we do hang now in Florida in the winter. All southern states are good for those cold months but the rich forests and lakes of the north is prime time for the other 7 months...... just saying been there done that...... often
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.