Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Musk Starlink now has a new problem
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Musk Starlink now has a new problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

We have Starlink and travel extensively with it. When we can get into an open cell, it's been great - we haven't had any issues dealing with obstructions, even up in the mountains with lots of trees around. Photo from outside of Estes Park, CO, with the dish outlined by a red star.

[image]

The biggest issue is just finding open cells - we can only use it at approximately 40% of our campsites. When it works, we can expect 150+Mbps down, 30+Mbps up, and low latency without any bandwidth caps. I've used it as much as 2TB/mo. We've had it in rain, snow, and heavy thunderstorms and I don't recall any outages. We're paying almost $100/mo whether we can use it or not, but it's just another tool in the arsenal of AT&T, Verizon, etc we carry to make a living (working remotely) out here.

Based on my experience with it, the Verge's issues probably had more to do with their specific cell than obstructions. It is beta, afterall.

Can you explain what a "open cells" and why it only works at 40% of the campsites just a bit broader? Trying to understand. [emoticon]

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

Can you explain what a "open cells" and why it only works at 40% of the campsites just a bit broader? Trying to understand. [emoticon]

Starlink is segmented into geographical service areas, referred to as cells. Each cell has a user limit, as well as other criteria that we aren’t privy to. You have to go into their portal and change your service location, which may be rejected if the cell that contains that service location is full, closed, etc… If you aren’t in or very close to the cell set in their portal, you won’t be able to connect.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

Starlink is segmented into geographical service areas, referred to as cells. Each cell has a user limit, as well as other criteria that we aren’t privy to. You have to go into their portal and change your service location, which may be rejected if the cell that contains that service location is full, closed, etc… If you aren’t in or very close to the cell set in their portal, you won’t be able to connect.

So does one set this up over the wobbly wide web? If so that implies one needs to do it before arriving?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/22 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As described, this appears that Starlink beam down it's signal through earth-bound relays where you are actually connected.

In that case, it defeats the purpose because my intent is to have signals anywhere I go on the concept that I'm actually connected directly to Starlink satellites.

My personal hotspot and booster may be better but still watching when Starllink would have enough satellites and bandwidth to enable direct connection for which I heard Musk saying that this is the intent.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

n0arp wrote:

So does one set this up over the wobbly wide web? If so that implies one needs to do it before arriving?

Yeah, we plan ahead and will usually set it via our cell phones on the way in. Or at the site, if it has usable cell signal. Sometimes we'll plan a few weeks ahead, and grab a slot somewhere we expect will be busy. We're heading to Quartzsite in a couple weeks, and have already configured SL for that cell to ensure we get a slot.

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

As described, this appears that Starlink beam down it's signal through earth-bound relays where you are actually connected.

In that case, it defeats the purpose because my intent is to have signals anywhere I go on the concept that I'm actually connected directly to Starlink satellites.

My personal hotspot and booster may be better but still watching when Starllink would have enough satellites and bandwidth to enable direct connection for which I heard Musk saying that this is the intent.

During the initial launch, the signal path was from your edge equipment, to a satellite, to a ground station. They are now enabling signal paths between satellites, so you can be farther from a ground station and your signal path will be from your edge equipment, to a satellite, to any number of other satellites, to a ground station. In the end, it sounds like they will drop the requirements to tie your service to a specific cell, to enable "true" mobile usage. For now, the signal paths available in your particular area of the sky denote availability, as well as their capacity planning. More satellites, and more satellites with the satellite to satellite connectivity enabled, will reduce the constraints -- but it's all still in beta and being phased in somewhat slowly.

We've used StarLink multiple times where cell service was nonexistant, even though we have a robust setup for 4G/LTE that usually allows us to find signal where others can't. Again, StarLink is just another tool to have in addition to your 4G/LTE providers. Not a replacement at this time.

* This post was edited 01/16/22 01:09pm by n0arp *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Musk Starlink now has a new problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.