cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold 9.7 (10) cu ft 12 volt compressor fridge?

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
HOST has an option for a 12 volt Norcold 9.7cu ft compressor fridge. They also have some pretty heft lithium battery options, all the way up to 1080 amp hours.

Anyone with any idea how much of an impact that kind of fridge would do to such a huge battery bank? I’m guessing not much….

Eric
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
10 REPLIES 10

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
toddb wrote:
I have a conversion to dc compressor, the draw is about the same. It’ll consume between 50-100ah depending on the outdoor temps. 200ah lipo and 400w of solar has no problem keeping up.

I see you are from Arizona. At this time of year your 400watts of solar will be capable of producing a maximum of 86 AH/day. That might keep the Norcold running but with little to spare. Again that is the maximum. A cloudy day or camping in the woods can mean zero solar input.

I have a pretty efficient NovaKool which is half the size of the Norcold. On a warm Summer day it can easily chew through 80 AH or more. I would expect the Norcold would hit twice that. It takes a lot of solar, a big battery bank and a backup generator for prolonged cloudy/shady camping. That is a lot of expense just to run a refrigerator.

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a conversion to dc compressor, the draw is about the same. It’ll consume between 50-100ah depending on the outdoor temps. 200ah lipo and 400w of solar has no problem keeping up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Units are important….
What you said doesn’t make sense
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
30 AH is a 20 hr draw from a room temp fridge to a #4 set program. Un-scientific but it was not impacted by any other heavy usage items other than parasitic draws. Last night, I uncovered the camper, turned on the battery switch and pleasantly surprised to find a full charge. Turned on the fridge. No sun today, In fact drizzling so no solar help to speak of.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not isolated. Evening hours are impacted by a C-Pap machine running on 12 v without the inverter on.
We're taking it out this Sunday, no hook-ups for 3 nights with some cloudy skies. I can PM you a daily routine and consumption averaging from those 3 nights.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Delete

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mike/kellie wrote:
We have the 12v fridge you're describing with a 480 AH bank (4×120) and it's been a minimal draw. We have yet had to manage battery usage beyond what we previously were used to with 480 AH AGM (4×120 series/parallel).
The fridge has a night/sleep mode, and has performed flawlessly. I had a 2014 Mammoth with the standard 2-way Dometic that had issues probably due to not enough ventilation and possibly too much un-levelness. I opened the camper side door and found greenish coolant puked out on the vinyl floor. Coincidence the back window is big enough to throw an old fridge thru?

do you know what the average fridge AH consumption is in a 24 hour period?
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With 1080 amp hours from Lithium batteries, you’ll be fine! Running continuously (which won’t happen) fridge will use about 200 AHs per day.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the 12v fridge you're describing with a 480 AH bank (4×120) and it's been a minimal draw. We have yet had to manage battery usage beyond what we previously were used to with 480 AH AGM (4×120 series/parallel).
The fridge has a night/sleep mode, and has performed flawlessly. I had a 2014 Mammoth with the standard 2-way Dometic that had issues probably due to not enough ventilation and possibly too much un-levelness. I opened the camper side door and found greenish coolant puked out on the vinyl floor. Coincidence the back window is big enough to throw an old fridge thru?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
8.xx amps normal mode and 6.xx amps night mode according to Norcold product info for 10cf 12V comp fridge.
Is that the info you were looking for?