cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Braking System Needs Servicing

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
This message appeared today while driving without a trailer or camper being towed. Any suggestions on possible problems to check before taking to dealer? 2012 Chevy Duramaz 2500 Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geo*Boy wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
DeOxit is better than WD-40. So is FluidFilm.

I wouldnโ€™t use Fluid Film on electric connections. Clean the connection with DeOxit and then use dielectric grease to keep out moisture and corrosion.

YEP, that is what my Journeyman Electrician buddy drilled into my head!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You won't have power at the 7 pin unless the controller senses a circuit and is apply brakes.
You likely had snow and ice packed in the connector and it gave a false reading of some kind.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

I wouldnโ€™t use Fluid Film on electric connections. Clean the connection with DeOxit and then use dielectric grease to keep out moisture and corrosion.

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Got the multi-meter out and tested voltage on trailer brake connection and nothing. This is on both 7 way connections. One in back bumper and other in bed with a cover. Both have strong spring loaded covers. Turn signals and other things have voltage of 14 with truck running. Thinking, maybe brake relay switch. Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would use this.

AMAZON for $15

Copy and paste below.

Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz.

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Think about it for a second. Are any of us sure what the problem is? W D stands for Water Disbursement. I used it often inside distributer caps to start engines after they got wet (Point & Condenser). It will do no harm. Now is there better things for it? Sure. But I bet the OP has a can around, or can pick some up for few bucks. If he uses, the problem goes away, he knows where the issue is. If it comes back, that would be the time to spend for the better stuff, or even better, seal it up so water can't get in.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would use this.

AMAZON for $15

Copy and paste below.

Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Truck was covered with snow and ice for a few days so hope that is the cause. Has warmed up and sunny today with another round of snow and ice tonight! Spraying with wd40 hurt anything? Don't want a problem when need to tow in a couple of months Thanks
2017 Montana 3611 RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Gadgets , Gadgets , if we did not have them they could not go bad ! I hate that my truck is smarter than me !

Yes, but some of them are in love with their FREDs

OP, if it was me I would spray some WD-40 in the trailer socket.

Ahhh scooby, spoken like someone who is truly jealous of what others have.....
PS, the dude's truck is 10 years old, so he's not really ballin' that hard and last I checked, IBC's are basically standard equipment, like seats and a steering wheel, on trucks for over 10 years now.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my connector with a โ€œgoodโ€ one after trying all the remedies. That worked.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
Gadgets , Gadgets , if we did not have them they could not go bad ! I hate that my truck is smarter than me !

Yes, but some of them are in love with their FREDs

OP, if it was me I would spray some WD-40 in the trailer socket.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It won't affect driving it around, so unless you have to tow right away, don't worry.
Could be moisture in the plug(s).
Could be the brake module or the load switch on the brake pedal.
Idk how to diagnose which, if its the module or switch, but I these are the likely causes IMO
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold