cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for cat euthanasia

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are near Yuma for the winter and kitty took a big turn for the worse. We found out she had cancer ( not sure where) last June. She was eating good and acting normal til last weekend. She hadn’t eaten, drank, or used the cat box since Saturday or Sunday. Today I’m calling around to have her put down and can’t get in. She doesn’t have a regular vet down here and they all want to do a full exam and can’t get her in from a few days out and one vet was a month. Guess I’m stuck just watching her slowly die on her own. Even the humane society said one week!!
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
11 REPLIES 11

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you do find someone, please hold and love and talk to her as she crosses that bridge. Imagine all the pets that are waiting for us when we finally see then again and what a great time we will have.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry for your loss. May the memories of her give you comfort. She will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s over now. She passed away on her own. Still can’t believe nobody would see us sooner.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I can't really help much, but my heart is breaking for you and your kitty....
Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Would a Vet school help near you?

dturm
This is totally unreasonable. Search for an "in home" option either online or through a local vet. If there is an emergency clinic/hospital, they may have different protocols.

There are situations where waiting an hour to make that decision is not in the best interest of the animal.

Don't do the .22 unless you know what you are doing. I know of multiple situations where police officers while trying to do a good thing didn't know anatomy an ended up having to do multiple shots to achieve their goal.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
You have to wonder why this vet didn't consider the well being of the pet first?
Really. That's odd.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman wrote:
So sorry.. that must be hard. Some might suggest a .22 to the head, but I'm not sure that's something you'd consider. El Centro isn't far.. have you tried there?

Unfortunately, that is what a co-worker of mine was forced to do. He took his cat to his longtime vet to euthanize as the cat had a tumor, and was obviously suffering. The vet required anyone requesting euthanasia to attend two separate (paid) grieving classes before they would agree to euthanize. You have to wonder why this vet didn't consider the well being of the pet first? Left my co-worker with few options remaining. Not to mention, creating an even more traumatic experience for its owner.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry.. that must be hard. Some might suggest a .22 to the head, but I'm not sure that's something you'd consider. El Centro isn't far.. have you tried there?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
This is the most difficult time for any animal owner. I am sorry for your pending decision. We lost our dog of 19 years this past summer and this time is very trying.

Have you looked for an emergency vet in the area, there are some listed for Yuma.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’m sorry for your impending loss. Remember that many humane society groups are volunteers working hard and they may be overwhelmed with local needs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad