cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to turn off interior lights while driving

IamSiler
Explorer
Explorer
We are new at RVing and just purchased a 2015 Fleetwood Southwind. We are on our first trip and the main lights in the coach stay on we have looked in the manual and everywhere in the RV and canโ€™t find a switch. Can anyone help??
24 REPLIES 24

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
IamSiler has left the building.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

NDTRAVELS
Explorer
Explorer
on our Georgetown there is a light switch on the bottom side of the kitchen cabinet as you come in the door confusing & hard to find

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
IamSiler...did you ever get the problem solved?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
ArchHoagland wrote:
I'd suggest asking a few neighbors in the RV park you are staying in. RVer's are friendly people and we were all new to this at one time.

Tell your neighbor you are new and ask if they could help you.

This is an awesome suggestion!

filadelfia
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, there is nothing wrong or unusual about your RV. The refrigerator is supposed to switch to LP when it is the auto mode and no ac power is available from shore or generator power. It is true 12 volt dc power is required for the refrigerator control system but this nothing to do with the lights. The vehicles electrical system has nothing to do with providing ac power to the refrigerator in your case.

Don

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest asking a few neighbors in the RV park you are staying in. RVer's are friendly people and we were all new to this at one time.

Tell your neighbor you are new and ask if they could help you.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
All your manual says -
Both decorative and โ€˜utilityโ€™ style 12-volt lighting fixtures may be used in your motor home.
Utility style fixtures may be either single or
dual. A slide switch selects either single or dual
brightness. For your convenience, some lights
are operated from wall switches. Clean the lenses with soapy water
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure, but these are tied into the door switch on my Buddyโ€™s 17 Fleetwood Bounder. They come on when you open the door and dim down and turn off when you close it. There may be a setting or switch somewhere that bypasses that.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVs have light switches near entry door, with class A rigs there is normally a bank of them, they should be labeled but they could have worn off or faded. The switch that turns lights off as well as refrigerator is battery disconnect, leave that on and try each switch individually. Some are hard to identify as they are for steps, patio, and storage bay lights, hard to notice during the day or if you are not outside. One of these switches will be dedicated to your overhead lights, there should also be a secondary overhead light switch in bedroom area as well.

We have always had TTs, 5ers, and toyhaulers and the owners manuals provided by manufacturer were abysmally generic. Not sure if this is customary among builders of class A rigs, but the owner's manual provided by Monaco is around 350 pages, I have yet to read it all but it covered every interior switch in detail. I know it was quite a learning curve for us when we first got our class A, in due time we were able to figure everything out. Here's hoping you have as much fun as we are having, my DW was losing interest in the RV lifestyle, she is enjoying it now more than ever.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What will be explained second?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok first I will describe many (but not all) rv Light systems

There are ceiling lights. Down lights. "Local" lights and asile lights.

OFten the main lights have a switch on the light. may be on/off or 3 position.
"Local" lights (like over the dining table) will usually have on/off switches.
You have a main control panel somewhere (This has switches and indiators on it) that may have a LIGHTS switch
Just inside the door is a panel of switches. Usually you find the main Use/Store or battery switch here. there will also be a light switch. (or 2)

and there may be a switch on the dash. Sometimes there are two or three switches in a multi-switch system

And in some RV's it's an electronic module that controls the lights via relays and on/off push buttons or rockers (These will either be ON/OFF buttons or 3 position rocker switches spring return to center)

All depends on the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any light switches near the entry door? So that you could turn on an inside light when entering the coach.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the door, there should be a series of switches. Turn on and off, one at a time. This should shut off the interior "entry" lights. If not, you switch could be bad.

Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like they are turning off and on the "salesman switch"
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857