Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to turn off interior lights while driving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How to turn off interior lights while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
IamSiler

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new at RVing and just purchased a 2015 Fleetwood Southwind. We are on our first trip and the main lights in the coach stay on we have looked in the manual and everywhere in the RV and can’t find a switch. Can anyone help??

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try the light switch. Sorry I couldn't resist but if this is in fact a legitimate post, the lights work just like the lights in your house. You hit a switch.

What's odd about your post is that you must have figured out a way to turn them on, unless you bought it with all the lights on and have remained that way since.

Again, if this post is legit, good luck. There's lots more complicated in RV's than turning the lights off.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

IamSiler

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haha. Did that and if you turn the main switch off it turns off the fridge too. Need the fridge to run.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IamSiler wrote:

Haha. Did that and if you turn the main switch off it turns off the fridge too. Need the fridge to run.

Ok, I'll bite again. Are you hitting the battery disconnect switch?

IamSiler

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. I thought it was supposed to run on the voltage from the engine but it says no AC so it’s running on LP. I can turn the main light switch off but as I said it turns the fridge off too.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IamSiler wrote:

No. I thought it was supposed to run on the voltage from the engine but it says no AC so it’s running on LP. I can turn the main light switch off but as I said it turns the fridge off too.

If you hit a switch and it turns off your lights and the fridge, it certainly sounds like the battery disconnect switch. Your fridge still requires some current to light the LP and no, it doesn't run off the engine. Your Fridge in electric mode runs off the generator if not plugged in to shore power. In the absence of that power it will run in LP mode. Have you tried leaving whatever switch you are hitting in the on position and trying other switches for the lights to turn them off?

Who did you buy this RV from?

If this is a serious post - and I certainly have my doubts, you need to do some real homework on how RV's work. Did you know anything when you bought it? Did you ask any questions from the seller? have you contacted them to ask these questions?

IamSiler

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry…this is a serious post. We bought from a dealer and they went through everything but it was so much info I can’t remember it all. Have the manuals but they don’t answer these silly questions. Thanks for responding.
We will get it figured out.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you contact the dealer who sold you the RV?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IamSiler wrote:

Sorry…this is a serious post. We bought from a dealer and they went through everything but it was so much info I can’t remember it all. Have the manuals but they don’t answer these silly questions. Thanks for responding.
We will get it figured out.

The manual is very generic as I am sure you have found out and won't go over lights - it may cover the battery disconnect. The only connection to your lights and the fridge - to be able to turn them off simultaneously is the battery disconnect switch, so my guess is you are confusing that with a light switch. While travelling your battery disconnect needs to be in connected mode in order to access all your battery driven devices. Lights, LP/fridge ignition, control panel etc. they all run off your house batteries. That disconnect switch is for storage so none of those things run and empty your batteries while the rv is in storage. Leave that switch on and search for another switch to control the lights.

In order to run the fridge on electric and air conditioner, outlets, microwave etc while driving, or disconnected from shore power, is to run the generator.

Did they teach you how to run the generator?

But I think the root of this particular problem with your lights is that you are confusing the battery disconnect switch with a light switch. As I said, whatever switch you are hitting that is turning off the lights and fridge at the same time, leave it on and find another switch that only turns off the lights.

* This post was edited 01/06/22 09:59am by way2roll *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/22 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I thought it's a joke too as every light has a switch.

Or, it's a motion detector light which seems to be always on -- but then again it would have to have switch somewhere.

Anyway, try the translucent light cover. If it clicks when you push it upwards, that could be the switch or some almost hidden switch around it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How to turn off interior lights while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.