cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inDesign Publishing Program

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone here use this program? I am want to know if inDesign can convert a PDF that was created in Publisher.

I went to their website to "chat" and they wanted a buck so I bit. Then they wanted 49.95 to answer the question. Nope, No way.
18 REPLIES 18

toedtoes wrote:
Try this: How to import a pdf into indesign

Tried this out just now, though used Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to convert a newsletter PDF to Word. Did a great job of quickly and accurately converting the PDF file to fully editable Word doc, while maintain its original formatting. Tried the same using MS Word 2019 alone, and it just froze.

I then attempted to open the converted Word doc into InDesign CC 2022, and it could not maintain the full text in blocks, or keep any resemblance of the formatting. Basically, useless IMO.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most all subscription based trial periods do that. If you are required to enter a CC, you can expect them to automatically upgrade and charge you without notification.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

navigator2346 wrote:
I'll download a free trial version of InDesign and see if it works

Be sure to track your free trial period carefully, and 'cancel' before you get charged the license fee.

I once was taking a certification class at Adobe offices, and had to use the trial version of their app as I didn't have time to install from my full corporate Adobe CC license.

I assumed after the trial period ended, I would be given the option to upgrade to full license which I would decline. I didn't realize that Adobe automatically charges your credit card after the trial period, even if you don't use it.

I ended up having to run through hoops to get the charges removed, as I already had the full Adobe CC license at work.

navigator2346 wrote:
Thanks for the reply's. Looks like toedtoes gave me a workaround . I'll download a free trial version of InDesign and see if it works

As mentioned, it would be helpful to know what you are trying to do? In any case, when you 'Place' a PDF, it will convert to a graphic file.

My assumption is you are going from one layout app with graphics/text to another layout app. Placing a PDF may severely limit what you are able to do if it's just a pure graphic file.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check to see what the file extension is, eps, ai, pdf, svg. All of these will open in Illustrator to be edited. I've never had an issue of "Flattening is a process that takes all of the layers and glues them into one single uneditible flat layer".
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
garmp wrote:
I am a retired Graphic Artist and my Adobe line of products is quite antiquated, but works. Can't afford upgrades as I only do work for our Elks Lodge and a friend or two. InDesign & Illustrator should be a smooth link as they are both of the same Creative Suite of Adobe products. Publisher is always the bane of graphic artists. Rather than fight with it, have it converted to a PDF, a couple of online free sites, then open the pdf in illustrator. My old CS4 Illustrator handles it pretty good. Still might have to correct a couple of things, font alignment, spacing, even some frames and/or rules, etc. But better than rebuilding from scratch.
PM me if I can help.

One would think that if the software was from the same company that it would be "seamless" to be able to move items between that companies programs..

I am here to tell you no, that is not the case with newer Adobe products.. Spent a few long, long evenings with my DD trying to find ways to get some of her art work moved between InDesign and Illustrator and toss in some artwork done outside of Adobe products..

Heck some of the art done in older versions of InDesign and Illustrator can't be imported without it breaking something :h DD had artwork she did in HS VoTech which had older versions of the software. We could not find a way to bring that into newer versions of Adobe software..

Each product and version has it's own rules and layers and how it handles all of that so what you get when importing is not always how you intended or wanted it to be.

Converting to PDF sometimes can get around things but in doing so, you have to do what is called "flattening" the image (this is done at the time of conversion to PDF).. Flattening is a process that takes all of the layers and glues them into one single uneditible flat layer.. Flattening removes your chances of editing the layers and it is treated as a single layer..

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a retired Graphic Artist and my Adobe line of products is quite antiquated, but works. Can't afford upgrades as I only do work for our Elks Lodge and a friend or two. InDesign & Illustrator should be a smooth link as they are both of the same Creative Suite of Adobe products. Publisher is always the bane of graphic artists. Rather than fight with it, have it converted to a PDF, a couple of online free sites, then open the pdf in illustrator. My old CS4 Illustrator handles it pretty good. Still might have to correct a couple of things, font alignment, spacing, even some frames and/or rules, etc. But better than rebuilding from scratch.
PM me if I can help.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
garmp wrote:
You can "place" a PDF into your InDesign, as most other programs, but you can't edit or alter it. With Illustrator you should be able to.

I suspect this IS the OPs intentions.

Have run into a lot of issues between InDesign, Illustrator and Publisher with my DD who is currently earning a degree for Graphic Art..

Things she did for one class which required one of the three above we had difficulties getting into one of the other software above.. There is simply no "easy way" that is 100% free and each time you convert, you have the risk of damaging and losing details and or layers.

To get a few items she needed imported, she ended up recreating from the ground up some of the artwork..

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can "place" a PDF into your InDesign, as most other programs, but you can't edit or alter it. With Illustrator you should be able to.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me know how it goes. I haven't tried it, but have done similar with other pdf files in other adobe programs.

Y-Guy
I know you were wanting to use InDesign but if you have Microsoft Word you might give this free converter a try Adobe Convert PDF to Word it's all done online and no cost.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's. Looks like toedtoes gave me a workaround . I'll download a free trial version of inDesign and see if it works

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Word does a pretty good PDF import, if it's not a pure pixelated image.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try this: How to import a pdf into indesign