cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 160 in Colorado

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone pulled a 5th wheel from Walsenburg, Colorado to Cortez? We will head from Minnesota to Sequoia NP in September of 2022. On that trip Route 160 would work well provided it doesn't have hairpin turns and severe switchbacks. Thanks.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
8 REPLIES 8

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with above. 160 is a very good road. And going west is the easier direction as far as Wolf Creek Pass. It is longer and steeper on the west side (where you will be going down). But there are two lanes most of the way down that side allowing you to stay right and not hold up traffic. There is only one sharp U turn as you get near the bottom. Take that slow. And if you canโ€™t control your speed, there are two run away truck ramps you can use. :E

And as noted above, North La Veta Pass outside Walsenberg is not bad. Gets to be a little bit of a tug as you near the top, but again two lanes so you can stay right and not hold up traffic. Going down west side not bad at all.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We've been over that road many time pulling our rig. Take you time and enjoy the view. Use your exhaust break, mountain driving is really not that bad
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with that route is that you can see your fuel gauge needle dropping with every mile. The road itself is just fine.
But I've never done it is nasty or snowy weather -- that might change my opinion!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Mountain Directory says there are several stretches of up to 8 miles of 6% grades and a couple of spots with 25 MPH curves. I used to drive that route in the '70... but not towing.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a selection of videos you can watch on YouTube that will give you an idea about travelling up and over Wolf Creek Pass, including the CW McCall song about it...long before the improvements were made to both sides. September is a great time to be in that area of Colorado, was down there a few years back in late September and the colours were so vibrant.

It's really not a difficult crossing any more. Even with the potential for snow in September, CDOT does a great job in keeping it open if it does snow, and that early in the season will likely melt off quickly.

There's also N La Veta Pass west of Walsenburg, somewhat gradual climb for a bit then a gradual drop down into the San Luis Valley. The vistas of the mountains are breathtaking as you come down off La Veta; Blanca Peak, Mt. Lindsey and Slide Mountain all visible to the north of the highway, in stark contrast to the agricultural fields throughout the valley. If you get a chance, a side trip to the Great Sand Dunes National Park would be something you won't see anywhere else -- sand dunes butting up against 14000 ft mountains. Worth a stop.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
"hairpin turns and severe switchbacks" are not as common as you might fear, at least not on US numbered highways. There are some state roads in California with "king pin" or total length restrictions, and one dirt road in Utah with tight turns. Otherwise even the tightest loops on paved highways are no sharper than a freeway cloverleaf or city intersection.

Wolf Creek Pass is the only thing that might give you problems, and there it will be the grades - up or down - not the tightness of the turns.

Disclosure - to me a 'severe switchback' is something that will require a 3 point turn, something you might have to do to turn around in the middle of your home street. Something that you can drive a 15-20 mph is not a severe switchback.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wolf Creek Pass east of Pagosa Springs has a number of switchbacks and is fairly high but thousands of RVs of all sorts run up and down every year. Nice wide road. So long as it;'s not snowing. Otherwise I don't recall any bad spots. Been up and down that road many times over the years.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
The route travels over Wolf Creek Pass which does have switchbacks on the west side. But this road has been improved a lot over the years and the pass is pretty easy to navigate IMO. I have towed doubles (5th wheel/ boat) over it a few times and trailers many times.