cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart has new auto battery maker

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I have used their Maxx batteries for the good warranty and adequate quality for years. Just went in to replace one of my truck batteries under warranty (GP 65, 850 CCA) and they gave me a 750 replacement. Told me they had dropped Johnson Controls and 850 would no longer be available. I had never heard of the new company, which doesn't mean they are not good. Just FWIW.
30 REPLIES 30

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:

How many AAA batteries does it take to replace one deep cycle? Hope you got rechargeable ones...LOL

12V/1.5V per battery= 8 batteries. I think I would step up to AAs, though.:)
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
Ok, doing some research, AC Delco AKA GM batteries are made by Middle East Battery Co of Saudi Arabia in which Johnson Controls owns 49%. Motorcraft Batteries are all Johnson Crontrols AKA Clarios LLC. MOPAR batteries are also made by Clarios LLC as are Auto Zone Duralast. The only other wet cell automotive battery company I can find is East Penn making Duracell and Deka, Everstart, and many more. So in real life, itโ€™s either Clarios or East Penn. Hope I didnโ€™t mix them up.

Delco batteries for sale in the US are made here or in Mexico. Shipping lead from overseas is insanely expensive.

Trojan, Crown, US Battery, Enersys, Superior, Rolls (Canada), and Exide all make lead-acid batteries in North America.

Still Johnson Controls. They have been buying up battery manufacturing plant and brands world wide.

All of the above are independent companies with the exception of Delco.

When JCI bought Delphiโ€™s battery manufacturing business in 2006, they got partial rights to use the ACDelco name on batteries. But they donโ€™t really use the name. The ACDelco batteries used in GM vehicles and the Voyager deep-cycles are made by Clarios, but GM can have anybody make ACDelco batteries because they retained full rights to the brand. They do have Exide manufacture deep-cycle ACDelco batteries under the Voyager II name. Itโ€™s easy to identify the Clarios batteries with their bevel corner vent caps.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Don't remember who but not too long ago there was only one wet cell battery made here in the U.S. The plant was in the State of New York, not too far from the Canadian border.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
klutchdust wrote:
I switched over to AAA batteries as I tired of dragging batteries into the store and back. Recently one in my Duramax failed, AAA

came out replaced both and prorated them for a discount. At around 130 a batteryI find it to be a good value. Trojan batteries for

my Class C worked well as house batteries but AAA for chassis.

How many AAA batteries does it take to replace one deep cycle? Hope you got rechargeable ones...LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
Ok, doing some research, AC Delco AKA GM batteries are made by Middle East Battery Co of Saudi Arabia in which Johnson Controls owns 49%. Motorcraft Batteries are all Johnson Crontrols AKA Clarios LLC. MOPAR batteries are also made by Clarios LLC as are Auto Zone Duralast. The only other wet cell automotive battery company I can find is East Penn making Duracell and Deka, Everstart, and many more. So in real life, itโ€™s either Clarios or East Penn. Hope I didnโ€™t mix them up.

Delco batteries for sale in the US are made here or in Mexico. Shipping lead from overseas is insanely expensive.

Trojan, Crown, US Battery, Enersys, Superior, Rolls (Canada), and Exide all make lead-acid batteries in North America.

Still Johnson Controls. They have been buying up battery manufacturing plant and brands world wide.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I switched over to AAA batteries as I tired of dragging batteries into the store and back. Recently one in my Duramax failed, AAA

came out replaced both and prorated them for a discount. At around 130 a batteryI find it to be a good value. Trojan batteries for

my Class C worked well as house batteries but AAA for chassis.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:

John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Roger10378 wrote:
So you now have a 750CCA battery paired with a 850CCA battery? Sure sounds like a problem to me. Maybe you can get away with it in AZ. but I sure wouldn't want to try it anyplace that gets cold.

I'd be much more worried about the age difference. Especially since the old one had to live with a failed mate for some period of time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:

Exide is also still in business.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Roger10378 wrote:
So you now have a 750CCA battery paired with a 850CCA battery? Sure sounds like a problem to me. Maybe you can get away with it in AZ. but I sure wouldn't want to try it anyplace that gets cold.

Ditto. And pairing a new battery with an older one is also a recipe for failure.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmart batteries are primarily supplied by East Penn and have been for a couple of years. Johnson Controls for many years before that.

The idea that a manufacturer makes different batteries for different stores is absurd to anyone familiar with battery manufacturing facilities and the business. They try to make as many identical cells as possible because any deviation requires a new production line and parts chain. They will de-rate a battery upon request of a buyer, which JCI did with their batteries for Walmart for many years, but they are not going to change anything inside the cells.

Interstate is not a battery manufacturer. They buy all of their batteries from other companies. The sum total of useful battery knowledge held by the entire company wouldnโ€™t fill a thimble.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Batteries are made to different specs based on sellers request. Mopar batteries were higher spec Interstates at the time I retired. The Interstate truck delivered them both. We had very few failures with the Mopar branded ones. Interstate and Delco however didn't perform as well.

I have a 2010 Chally SRT that still has the factory battery. Part of me thinks I should replace the battery, part of me wants to see how long it will go.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
It is NEVER a good idea to replace just one battery in a battery bank. Batteries deplete at certain rates depending on their age. So, having a NEW battery mixed with an OLD battery does not make the best combination for charging and longevity. If you had Interstate batteries and one failed, Interstate would have replaced BOTH due to the never mixing old and new batteries. Doug

Appears heโ€™s more worried about who now makes batteries for Walmart than actual vehicle maintenanceโ€ฆ
Funniest part is asking the store employee about them. I can just picture that tv commercial about how not to become your parentsโ€ฆ.โ€Brian in produce, very helpfulโ€ฆโ€
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold