Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Walmart has new auto battery maker
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Walmart has new auto battery maker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting the MOPAR branded batteries in our 2016 (early 2016) I just replaced in the end of November. They were 730 CCA they were six years old at failure. Replaced both new were 750 CCA also MOPAR branded.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is NEVER a good idea to replace just one battery in a battery bank. Batteries deplete at certain rates depending on their age. So, having a NEW battery mixed with an OLD battery does not make the best combination for charging and longevity. If you had Interstate batteries and one failed, Interstate would have replaced BOTH due to the never mixing old and new batteries. Doug

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

It is NEVER a good idea to replace just one battery in a battery bank. Batteries deplete at certain rates depending on their age. So, having a NEW battery mixed with an OLD battery does not make the best combination for charging and longevity. If you had Interstate batteries and one failed, Interstate would have replaced BOTH due to the never mixing old and new batteries. Doug

So true, Interstate says your okay about 3 to maybe 6 months difference in age. I had hoped to get a couple more months out of the originals, but one no start was all I needed at six years! Tuff bullet to bite at just under $400 for the pair.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is that Wal-Mart (like most other battery retailers) uses several different manufacturers for their batteries - One battery size might be manufactured by XX Battery Co., and another size might be manufactured by YY Battery Co.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Odyssey AGM has 950 CCA if you are looking for superior performance. Not going to be WM priced.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

voodoo101 wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

As Retired JSO indicated, same company, new name.

Maybe but the case is completely different and is sealed vs capped.

So what does sealed vs cap have to do with the company being the same with the new owner. Two people asked what company Wal-Mart was using now. I was addressing them not you. As stated same co new name.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 03:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries are made to different specs based on sellers request. Mopar batteries were higher spec Interstates at the time I retired. The Interstate truck delivered them both. We had very few failures with the Mopar branded ones. Interstate and Delco however didn't perform as well.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Appears he’s more worried about who now makes batteries for Walmart than actual vehicle maintenance…
Funniest part is asking the store employee about them. I can just picture that tv commercial about how not to become your parents….”Brian in produce, very helpful…”

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Batteries are made to different specs based on sellers request. Mopar batteries were higher spec Interstates at the time I retired. The Interstate truck delivered them both. We had very few failures with the Mopar branded ones. Interstate and Delco however didn't perform as well.

I have a 2010 Chally SRT that still has the factory battery. Part of me thinks I should replace the battery, part of me wants to see how long it will go.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walmart batteries are primarily supplied by East Penn and have been for a couple of years. Johnson Controls for many years before that.

The idea that a manufacturer makes different batteries for different stores is absurd to anyone familiar with battery manufacturing facilities and the business. They try to make as many identical cells as possible because any deviation requires a new production line and parts chain. They will de-rate a battery upon request of a buyer, which JCI did with their batteries for Walmart for many years, but they are not going to change anything inside the cells.

Interstate is not a battery manufacturer. They buy all of their batteries from other companies. The sum total of useful battery knowledge held by the entire company wouldn’t fill a thimble.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Walmart has new auto battery maker
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.