Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Camping on Sand
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Camping on Sand

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to the salt damage, we no longer camp anywhere salt water...so beach camping is out for me.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One last driving on sand trick: carry some rolled up old carpet, shag is claimed to be the best. Cut the width of your tires and at least 6 or 8 feet long, 2 each. You can use it to gain traction if you dig you wheels in by jacking up the tire and putting the rug underneath. This is the cheap way, they sell plastic boards for this purpose too.

Traction boards

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be prepared to take some of the beach home with you. Wind and shoes will bring the sand into the RV. DE may not think that’s a good thing.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure your towing policy will cover you off the road. Some limit the distance off a road to a hundred feet or so.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live near the beach and no way I would ever camp on it. The salt and sand will continue to do damage on your rig.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It ALL depends on the beach in question... The folks that frequent Pismo will tell you it's all good....I will say that MOST of the beaches that I , myself have been on in the East Coast would NOT be favorable to pull an RV on.

Back in the day, I spent all my free time fishing at ASSATEAGUE ISLAND with my annual Off Road Vehicle Pass ( NO RV ) ... I used to have sand where sand had no right being ! Be prepared to do A LOT of maintenance post beach camping.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent 2 winters camping on the beach in Baja, MX(where desert meets the ocean.) Granted it was in a 4x4 1/2T PU that was sold decades ago, but it was some of the, if not the best camping I've ever done.

My advice would be to carefully consider, plan properly, and then GO FOR IT!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

In WA state in Ocean Shores, you can drive on the beach.. You can't 'camp' or overnight there, but you can bring your rig on the sand...

All the soft sand is above the high tide level... That's where everyone gets stuck at least at Ocean Shores, WA.. [emoticon]

I've pulled out many small cars and 2wd trucks in my time going there with just a stock 4x4 F150..

I don't go into the soft sand like those stuck were in..

I have seen RV's out there, but they seem to stick to the hard packed side and move accordingly as the tide comes in and then leave when it gets too close.

I don't go out there anymore, as just way too many 'goofs' out there now... But, back in the day, it was fun and a family could enjoy themselves and not have to deal with all the ATV's and other such nonsense..

Ooops... Too many cold snacks I think... [emoticon]

Well I grew up in Grays Harbor, going to the beach was common. The beaches are considered part of the state highway system, and most are driveable, the issue is the approaches! you transition from asphalt to soft dry sand to hard pack sand. one needs enough momentum to make it from the asphalt to the hard pack.

bgum wrote:

Rust will ruin your TV and RV. Back away from shore to enjoy the area and not ruin your equipment.

We hosted at the coast, and one park in particular we were like 50' from the beach, don't do it any more still fighting the corrosion.
Now if you want a GREAT Beachside camping spot without driving in the sand, checkout Site #63 at Beachside SP in Oregon. This site is right on the beach with ocean to the rear and door side! Almost as nice are sites #64, #66, and #68

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. Thanks all. You’ve brought me to my senses. Long ago I accepted the maxim that I wouldn’t drive my truck out on the lake no matter how thick the ice was, the risk/reward just wasn’t worth it. Period. No need to think about it each year. Similarly I’ll just accept that I’m not pulling my 5er on the beach, risk/reward (including salt) just doesn’t make sense. No need to overthink, I’ll just accept that.

Reaffirms why DW is sometimes called SWMBO…

Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in the desert every New Year and this year we had heavy rains the week before our trip. We got out to camp late in the week and all the usual spots were taken, so we had to improvise. I pulled out into a mostly empty area with some light brush.

It turned out that the soil was softer than it looked and the rain made it softer. Our tires sunk in six inches, not too bad but not good.

The problem with the soft stuff is the turns. Your front wheels dig in deeper if you turn too sharply. We have a triple axle 20k fiver and each set of tires has to cut its own track if you turn too sharply instead of tracking behind the next wheel. It makes the truck work that much harder.

I knew our leveling jacks were going to sink in, so I made wide pads out of four leveling blocks kind of like snowsboes. We still sank and settled after three nights. The fiver was four inches lower than the truck.

I packed up the night before and we left early the last morning while the ground was still frozen and used 4WD-Low to get out.

Great trip and even a good spot, but the soft stuff made it a lot more work.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Camping on Sand
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.