cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New RV USB plugs, what amperage are they?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Many new(ish) devices require the higher powered, 2.1-amp USB plugs. On the flip side, most of the plugs I've seen in RVs I believe are under an amp. Anybody knowledgeable on this subject? Is the RV industry keeping up with technology?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
28 REPLIES 28

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. We boondock as often as we plug in. I have built in higher amp USB and/or cigarette lighter plugs throughout my current trailer to cover any needs that may arise. It looks like I'll probably be doing that in our next RV as well. It's kind of fun to modify these rigs to suit needs and tastes.
2015 Ram 1500

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

The only problem with those is you have to have 120v power or you have no 5v power. For people who boondock, it is not an answer.

OP didn't mention anything about boondocking.

OP may not have mentioned boondocking but if one has a 5V USB charger, one would like it to work anytime and anywhere.. 120V outlets with USB chargers would be a real letdown if you happen to be anywhere there is no commercial power and you have to break out a gen to charge your 5V device.. Think of like this, pull over at a rest stop cor a couple hr nap and you want to charge a device.. 120V outlet with USB charger isn't going to work in this case..

120V outlets with USB chargers would be sort of nice in your sticks and bricks provided you had them everywhere in the home..

To me, they are an expensive built in option and when the charger dies or is no longer sufficient for the newer devices, you must replace the entire outlet..

Dedicated USB chargers which pull directly from 12V battery would seem to be a much better way to go in a RV..

At home, I bought several USB chargers which have 12 USB plugins which have up to 3.5A on three ports.. So far, have only needed 4 of those ports at one time.

In a RV, just use plug in 12V cig lighter styles, have one that has four charging ports which handles all of our stuff. May not look as pretty as a built in, but it is portable and can be used in any 12V power port.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

The only problem with those is you have to have 120v power or you have no 5v power. For people who boondock, it is not an answer.

OP didn't mention anything about boondocking.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Many new(ish) devices require the higher powered, 2.1-amp USB plugs. On the flip side, most of the plugs I've seen in RVs I believe are under an amp. Anybody knowledgeable on this subject? Is the RV industry keeping up with technology?

Well, it looks like nobody knows (including me), but if you need more USB outlet power look to updating your AC outlets.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:

Well, it looks like nobody knows (including me), but if you need more USB outlet power look to updating your AC outlets.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
Just remember, rapid charging is convenient but very hard on batteries and will greatly reduce battery life.

Granted, however for most devices charged via USB 5V the device it's self is already "obsolete" the day you bought it and it's useful life is not determined by the battery life but the software version and when the manufacturer decides to stop supporting the device via updates.

Fair chance that your battery in the device will well outlast the device usefulness hardware and software wise and most folks now days must have the latest and greatest device which means trading them in as soon as the contract allows for another free (or greatly discounted) device and signs them up for another contract period (typically a 2 yr lock in)so the phone company is guaranteed to have that customers money and soul for the entire length of contract..

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember, rapid charging is convenient but very hard on batteries and will greatly reduce battery life.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
OP here.

I wasn't looking for a standard, just tell me what's currently installed.

I've installed plenty of USB ports among many other things in RVs, so that's no big deal.

I think the answer is no one knows...not even the manufacturer...buy the tester if you must know.

^^THIS^^

Or when you get the new RV plug your high current demand device in to charge. You will figure it out quickly if the device takes a long, long time to charge..

If charge time is comparable to your charger the device came with then the ports have sufficient power for you device to charge at normal speed.

Pretty much all devices that use USB 5V to charge from have the capability to detect and auto negotiate the charging source capability. If it is not able to draw enough power it drops into a lower rate charge mode.

Does not hurt the device, just means you might be waiting several hrs instead of 15 minutes to recharge.

If you find it is taking a lot longer time to charge, then consider adding your own aftermarket higher current charging ports.

In other words, don't let this concern make the choice of RVs for you.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TurnThePage wrote:
I appreciate the suggestions and am pretty versed on what's available in the aftermarket. I was just wondering if anybody was knowledgeable about what's typically installed these days.

We'd really need to see the exact style/brand of USB port to know (or research) what the spec is.

I've seen about 5 different style of USB ports used across all the brands of RVs I've looked at.

Outdoors RV uses higher output USB ports. I upgraded my charge panel with more stuff as shown in this video

My first truck camper pre-dated the era of USB charge ports in RVs, so I added a Blue Sea Systems panel as shown in this project
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
OP here.

I've installed plenty of USB ports among many other things in RVs, so that's no big deal.

I think the answer is no one knows...not even the manufacturer...buy the tester if you must know.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

2015 Ram 1500

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
one way to find out https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Multimeter-Multi-Function-Capacity-Detector/dp/B08QGFMZVG/ref=sr_1_8?... or

https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacity-Resistance/dp/B07DCSNHNB/ref=sr_1_7?k...
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP Try this: If there was a USB standard for RVs it would already be obsolete and have to evolve. But a basic USB C port for charging would likely be desirable today.

Even todays USB C connector will likely become obsolete in the future like other connectors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The USB standard and implementation now support Power Density devices that support up to 5A and 48V (240W) for more power. Electronics on each end and a special USB-C cable. Somewhere I read that there is a Apple computer that uses the PD protocol.

In addition data transfer is ramping up - USB4 is 40Gpbs or 4.8GB/s and it uses USB C.

The OP is wanting a RV standard that doesn't exist any more than a home based standard.

I agree with the prior post indicating installed RV ports are likely what's cheap or on hand.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob