Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford E450 Class C Dash Emergency Battery Switch issues

beemerburner
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
2005 Ford E450 Class C, Fleetwood Jamboree. Two switches by left knee; Emergency start battery switch to join engine and house batteries & Generator Start switch. NEITHER ONE IS OPERATIONAL.

Have checked all fuses; all OK.
Did not find Battery controller solenoid where shown on Youtube videos; Underneath/behind radiator overflow bottle on driver's side engine compartment.

Looked at house battery area and found battery separator, 1 controller that clicks on when ign key turned on.

An emergency batt controller solenoid is supposed to "click" when the dash switch is pushed; we here no clicking from anything, anywhere when the batt dash switch is activated.

We see that there is a PURPLE wire that is not attached to anything.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a similar setup and could you tell us where YOUR purple wire attaches?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqc2hvcuavnh2ap/DSC03529.JPG?dl=0
(purple wire sticking straight up w/ eyelet at end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h50sjduuneipzvx/DSC03530.JPG?dl=0
(batt compartment at steps.
17 REPLIES 17

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Hope what we gve OP helps!

We may never know,OP hasn't been back for a couple of weeks.
I hate when that happens......:(
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Hope what we gve OP helps!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
OK! Does the wiring diagram in the Intellitec manual look like your setup? They may have used different components, but wiring maybe the same.
OP: I looked at the photo that shows the splice. I doubt whether that is factory.

The wiring diagram in the manual is the same as mine is wired.As for the splice I think it is factory installed,after peeling back some of the split wire loom I found the same material wrapping wire bundles and wire end connectors.
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OK! Does the wiring diagram in the Intellitec manual look like your setup? They may have used different components, but wiring maybe the same.
OP: I looked at the photo that shows the splice. I doubt whether that is factory.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
I thought I saw a partial one on the left side of your first photo!

This is what you saw.I wish it was more,but just tells what is in the box
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I thought I saw a partial one on the left side of your first photo!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Ya that purple wire is a puzzler,both of my purple wires that go to the BIRD,as shown in the picture have spade ends on them.

I will look tomorrow again and see if I can see a purple wire anywhere else that has a eyelet.

I remembered something last night,and went and checked today. I could not get a good picture but on mine there is a purple wire with an eyelet that goes to the small terminal on the continuous duty solenoid.

While tracing it back I found that it connected with a yellow wire then went into the fuse block.

enblethen wrote:

IAMICHABOD can you get a photo of your wiring diagram? does it have the colors of the wiring? Looks to be same drawing as I linked.

Sorry I don't have a wiring diagram.
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
IAMICHABOD will be good helpin resolving OPs issue.
h
Here is a link to your BIRD relay including wiring diagram.
BIRD relay
IAMICHABOD can you get a photo of your wiring diagram? does it have the colors of the wiring? Looks to be same drawing as I linked.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerburner wrote:
TO IAMICHBOD;
Is your continuous duty solenoid a three or four terminal unit?

I have a purple wire going to the bird AND an purple wire w/ eyelet that is lose/not connected to anything.

My continuous duty solenoid has three terminals Like this one

Ya that purple wire is a puzzler,both of my purple wires that go to the BIRD,as shown in the picture have spade ends on them.

I will look tomorrow again and see if I can see a purple wire anywhere else that has a eyelet.
Buying A Rental Class C

beemerburner
Explorer
Explorer
TO IAMICHBOD;
Is your continuous duty solenoid a three or four terminal unit?

I have a purple wire going to the bird AND an purple wire w/ eyelet that is lose/not connected to anything.

beemerburner
Explorer
Explorer
RE: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/aux-start-solenoid-wiring-320755.html

OOOOOHHHH !!! I will be reading that after work... !
THANK YOU.

beemerburner
Explorer
Explorer
RE: Need to add for you o contact Fleetwood for wiring diagrams. Some are available on line. You need the coach serial numbers and exact model number.

Are you saying that Fleetwood has schematics available?
By chance, does anyone have a link to get these?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

beemerburner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the quick and kind responses.
UPDATE: 1/11/22
The Gen start switch was incorrectly wired. It works with the following from TOP down: Brown, Black, Yellow. Generator starts and and stops as indicated on switch shown in ImaIchibod pic #2/3 above.

Battery connect switch is still an unknown. Both have thick yellow wires. One is 12v live with key off/on the other not. Placed 12v ON wire to ON position of battery connect switch.... Still no sound heard with switch activation, as seen on youtube vids. Possibly due to purple wire thingy.

YES, yellow wire chewed by mice, will seal and tape off.
Will have more time on Saturday to continue process.

Any more ideas or suggestion GREATLY APPRECIATED.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
I have a 2006 Fleetwood Tioga that has the same battery box area as yours,
When I had the same problem as yours that the switch would not work and when the engine was running it was not charging the house batteries,after some testing I noticed that the continuous duty solenoid would click but not lock in which is a loud clunk. It is where those 2 big cables attach at the lower right of the picture.
After replacing it the switch worked and the engine,thru the alternator,was charging the coach batteries.

As for the purple wire, on mine that black box at the top of your picture is a BIRD.On mine a purple wire is connected to the Ignition terminal and one to the Relay terminal.

I hope this helps,any more questions come on back and ask or PM me.Let us know if this works.
Buying A Rental Class C