cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody launching a boat with a Class A?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I was towing and launching my boat, which weighs about 6,500 pounds on the trailer, with a crew cab dually hauling an 11' TC. We sold the TC after our third child was born because it was just too small. I've been looking at older Super C motor homes and it looks like most of them would probably be fine for putting the boat in and out. The body seems to rise up in the rear, I guess to improve departure angel, and the ground clearance is decent for going over the angle where the ramp starts down.
I'm starting to also look at some class As but they look much lower with less ground clearance, break over angle, and departure angle. I'm curious if many people launch and retrieve boats with them.

Taking a second vehicle or having a complete stranger use their truck to launch the boat is not an option. My wife is not comfortable driving much more than the non-towing Suburban. We like to explore lakes that are 3, 5, or even 8 hours from home so making 2 trips their and back is not an option either. I grew up on a farm and spent time as an OTR truck driver so I have no problem maneuvering the rig, just wondering about the physical abilities of one to navigate a boat ramp.
15 REPLIES 15

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We have done it both ways with the rear hitch and a front hitch.hen in the back just a twitch of the steering wheel moves the boat feet because of the tail end swing. rear and side cameras help a lot. Practice in a big empty parking lot
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put a tow hitch on the FRONT of the coach and it's a piece of cake to launch and retrieve....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
Pay someone 20 bucks to launch it
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing nobody has mentioned that IMHO would be a major PITA. Most people I have seen that camp with boats leave site with boat on trailer, launch, then the pickup/boat trailer sets in PL while they boat. Come in, retrieve boat, and return to campsite, that is already set up. Will the spaces in that PL be large enough? And will you run Gen for AC all day or get in a MH that has been setting in sun all day, then set up camp again?
A idiot hitch would eliminate all the driving problems cause by not seeing trailer, plus the drive tires would be on dryer pavement, reduce chance of wheel spin.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a Class A owner and he uses a front hitch to launch his boat. Never a problem for him.

Y-Guy
Mike134 wrote:
If you can see the boat in your mirrors while dead straight behind you, you should have no issues.

Personally I'm not sure I would attempt it without a review camera and microphone to hear what's going on, but the cam at a minimum.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The lake where our family cottage is has 2 or 3 fishing tournaments each year that attract a number of pro and semi-pro fishermen. Several of them arrive in fairly high end motorhomes, and I've noticed that a few have a front hitch installed that they use for launching their boats. Others tow a stacker trailer with their boat on top and a pickup underneath they use for launching.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
If you can see the boat in your mirrors while dead straight behind you, you should have no issues.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Y-Guy
KD4UPL we have our 2007 Winnebago 35J which is a bunk model, we're original owners and even though our kids are out on their own we still enjoy it. With the King bed, 2 bunks, couch and dinette that coverts we've had 8 people in ours (couple on the floor) but it worked. Now the bunks are mostly storage for dog kennels and other items when we travel.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's pretty workable. I've been watching for just older Super C MHs in order to have enough tow capacity. I'll keep an eye out for As as well. It seems like so many As are designed for just a couple or maybe 4 people. We're a family of 5 so I'm wanting bunk beds.

Y-Guy
We've launched our Four Winns several times with our Winnebago, depending on the boat launch it can be a breeze or a big challenge. One of the lakes, a USFS Campground is pretty tight but with a couple of spotters we got it done. At most of the USFS sites I've been to there isn't much space so getting the boat prepped for launch takes place out of the CG. Those gravel boat trailer lots are a challenge moving it by hand.

We've never taken our Jeep along for launching the boat, but if I did I'd still haul the boat with the motorhome and then swap to launch. The second photo was the best place, great approach angle and I was actually able to launch with myself and my young son. That's a rarity.

One campground we were at I watched a very smart older guy with a nice Class A "bribe" a younger guy with a pick up to launch and retrieve his boat. For him each morning/night. Amazing what a case of beer can buy you!

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch "RV goes into lake" on YouTube. Interesting stuff at .50 mark.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to launch our boat ( 24 ft) with our Class A. Never had any issues. Depending on what CG we were at, it was sometimes easier having the staff launch and then move the trailer to the storage lot with their tractor since at most places you can't keep the trailer at your site. .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't see the rear overhang as an issue...as the ramp drops off, it will simply go out into the air.

The issues would be:
- With the rear overhang high above the pavement, will it raise the front of the trailer high enough that the outboard bottoms out.
- Particularly for a Class A, will the change in slope be great enough that the frame between the axles will bottom out.

Unless it's an extreme overhang, I'm betting most ramps won't be an issue and you can always raise the motor to gain a bit of leeway.

As mentioned, a big turning radius may be more of an issue at smaller ramps.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV