cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T@b 400 -- comments by those who've seen it??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stumbled across a reference to this new "big teardrop" -- as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a discussion of this model on this forum?? (Please forgive me if I am wrong -- I really did search the archive and came up empty.)

I haven't seen one of these things in person yet -- the pictures and videos are interesting. I'm especially interested in the boondocking model -- the website says it has "pitched axles" -- I have not found a good definition of this feature.

I'm always skeptical of T@bs -- will there be enough headroom for me, at 6'3"? I'm sure this new trailer will be expensive. But it might fill a specific market niche.

If you've seen one of these, your comments will be welcomed! And if you're like me and are just commenting for the heck of it, your comments will be tolerated. 😉

Link to manufacturer's site
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
17 REPLIES 17

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem, could you please encourage your sister or her husband to chime in with their experiences? If they are not already active on this forum, it's easy and free to sign up!

Thanks in advance.
About our trailer

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
This is all I can offer as an uneducated.

My sister and her husband recently purchased the Tab 400 and spent 2 months out west. Came home and talked about the scenery and the trout fishing but never a complaint about the Tab.

They pulled 4300 miles with a Toyota Tacoma and I'm still yet to hear anything negative.

The wife and I do much the same but prefer at least 30ft of trailer......enjoy.

Well that’s encouraging. We got an update on the arrival of ours. First week of April if all goes well. Hope to be on the road 3 rd week of May with the new combo. We have a 2700 kilometre 16 campground 8 week trip planned including 6 ferry crossings. Woohoo. :).

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
This is all I can offer as an uneducated.

My sister and her husband recently purchased the Tab 400 and spent 2 months out west. Came home and talked about the scenery and the trout fishing but never a complaint about the Tab.

They pulled 4300 miles with a Toyota Tacoma and I'm still yet to hear anything negative.

The wife and I do much the same but prefer at least 30ft of trailer......enjoy.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
bgum wrote:
The Alde system has a history of bubbling or gurgling but once the air is worked out the system is totally silent.

No roar from the boiler when the burner fires up?

Their diagram also shows "fan convectors". Nothing with a fan is going to be totally silent.

Depends on the fans, I've got some 12V Nocturns that when run at 9V are like 18dB @1m, while not technically silent outside of a test chamber you aren't going to hear it.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Power usage is pretty low. Just a tiny circulation motor.

There's also going to be a propane solenoid drawing power whenever the boiler is operating, plus the control electronics.

Generally, when a manufacturer doesn't mention a specification, there's a good reason for it.

bgum wrote:
The Alde system has a history of bubbling or gurgling but once the air is worked out the system is totally silent.

No roar from the boiler when the burner fires up?

Their diagram also shows "fan convectors". Nothing with a fan is going to be totally silent.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The Alde system has a history of bubbling or gurgling but once the air is worked out the system is totally silent. Also on our Tab the liquid which is basically antifreeze had to be maintained at a certain level and I think changed every 2 years. There was also an issue of blown fuses but simple to replace. This all goes to my mention of a learning curve.. This system has been used in Europe for years. It is very good even heat.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:
bgum wrote:
The heating system is one of the best features but will take some experience in its use.

I assume you're referring to the optional system made by Alde -

Honestly, it looks ridiculously complex and failure-prone.

On Alde's website, I couldn't find any mention of how much battery power it consumes while dry-camped.

Power usage is pretty low. Just a tiny circulation motor. The systems have a pretty good name. Mostly found in European trailers and industrial trailers. They are a Swedish company. Not an option though on the 400. It’s the only system available.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
The heating system is one of the best features but will take some experience in its use.

I assume you're referring to the optional system made by Alde -

Honestly, it looks ridiculously complex and failure-prone.

On Alde's website, I couldn't find any mention of how much battery power it consumes while dry-camped.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
The heating system is one of the best features but will take some experience in its use. I also think I would like the basement air. A new 400 AND SUV hmm 401k must be prospering. Congrats

Heh hen. :). We down sized from a 40 foot diesel pusher. We have plans to go to lots of places we couldn’t get to with the pusher. Should be fun....and cosy.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks nice for the size.

The difference between the two layouts is extreme...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The heating system is one of the best features but will take some experience in its use. I also think I would like the basement air. A new 400 AND SUV hmm 401k must be prospering. Congrats

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all of those comments, and congrats to Reisender!! That's an interesting point about the budget and the price -- there are times when "over-spending" is justified.

In this case, there are very few full-featured hard-sided small trailers with decent headroom -- so for those of us (like me) who really want that type of package, a cheaper alternative may be unavailable.
About our trailer

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We have one on order. Pricey but a good fit for our needs. We talked to lots of owners and checked them out in detail. Good fit and finish. They are 7’6” wide as opposed to 7’ for some of their competition. That was a concern for us because we are pulling with an SUV. But we hooked up and looked in the mirrors and it was fine.

High tech appliances including hydronic heat. Not everybody wants that. Basement AC. Nice headroom (I’m tall). They have spent time on the engineering making it so as you fill water tank or add batteries your hitch doesn’t get heavier. (Actually gets slightly lighter).

If you have a healthy budget it’s a nice fit. But there are other less expensive alternatives.

Ours arrives April or May timeframe. The new SUV that pulls it arrives about the same time.

Should be a fun summer. :).

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The interior workmanship and materials appear very good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad