Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Satellite Dish question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Satellite Dish question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ex-Tech

West

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/22 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that you will be able to receive high-def reception for Direct TV ONLY with the $2200.00 Traveler dish. The domes will NOT receive HD for Direct TV.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex-Tech wrote:

Remember that you will be able to receive high-def reception for Direct TV ONLY with the $2200.00 Traveler dish. The domes will NOT receive HD for Direct TV.

That's not true. You can also use a manual portable home style antenna which costs a few hundred bucks for a good setup. Also, a company called RF Mogul makes a fully automatic roof mounted antenna but it costs even more!
The Winegard can be had for about $1900 and it can be self installed.

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

Ex-Tech wrote:

That's not true. You can also use a manual portable home style antenna which costs a few hundred bucks for a good setup. Also, a company called RF Mogul makes a fully automatic roof mounted antenna but it costs even more!

While the Winegard is certainly less expensive the RF Mogul I feel is a better value. One big factor is servicing: the RF Mogul is completely field-serviceable while the Winegard has to be shipped back to them for any service.

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

SuperBus

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

LouLawrence wrote:

Ex-Tech wrote:

While the Winegard is certainly less expensive the RF Mogul I feel is a better value. One big factor is servicing: the RF Mogul is completely field-serviceable while the Winegard has to be shipped back to them for any service.

I realize this is a very old post, but for prosperity, I want to share my experience. Winegard has been around a long time and probably has a higher chance of remaining in business than RF Mogul. I have recently been forced to upgrade from a presumably better dish (Moto Sat) after it lost its ability to locate satellites. Sure, it was old technology, but it worked. The issue was Moto Sat is gone, and I could not get any support. RF mogul may be the better dish, but how long will they be around, or how long until they get acquired and drop past product support? This is just something to keep in mind when considering brands, especially on $2k plus purchases.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add to that thought, the folks who ran MotoSat before MotoSat went out of business are the same folks who started RF Mogul. Not sure who is running the business these days but I know some of them have now retired.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Satellite Dish question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.