Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Let's talk air bags...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Let's talk air bags...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1999 7.3 dually has airbags installed by the previous owner. I've generally not bothered to inflate them unless towing a trailer with my Bigfoot camper (4000lbs loaded). Today while driving on California's 101 near San Jose I was bouncing along from our overtaxed and under fixed roads.

While bouncing up and down I had an epiphany that perhaps a little bit of air might help the situation. Typically I've run between 30 to 60 psi in the bags if I'm towing a trailer with the camper. If I have just the camper I have usually left them empty or at 30psi unless I'm on twisty roads where I might bump it up to 90psi. That being said, it seems app subjective to me. Hard to tell if adding air I'm helped at all or if it was just the roar improving in the section I was then on.

So those of you that also have airbags, what type of truck and camper weight do you have and what PSI in the bags do you run? What is your measurement of ride improvement other then subjective "feels better"?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive the same roads near San Jose. 2011 F350 4x4 dually CC lb with a 4600 pound (loaded) Lance 1055. I have upper and lower stable loads and Airbags (for when I tow the horse trailer). Not towing I may put 10psi in the airbags

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately air bag helpers as typically installed are likely to stiffen the suspension, not soften it. In taking out sag they also support the weight, with a spring rate that is higher than the stock steel springs.

Given the variability of roads, you would probably need in-cab adjustment of pressure and run over the same road a few time to really make a judgement.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/22 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Buzz I find 10 pounds or so in my airbags when not towing or hauling something heavy provides the best ride in my 1500. That’s the minimum recommended BTW.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PSD w/ Lance 845

encinitas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on HMS Beagle's well said statement.

After 20yrs of running this setup (2002 F350 SRW, Lance 845) I don't bother to measure air bag pressure any more. I just inflate to level out so I'm not blinding oncoming traffic with headlights. Unloaded I deflate to around 5psi, best guesstimate. I've got the Firestone Ride-rites with added limit straps, extended helper spring bumps, and factory sway bar...really happy with this set up.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some years back we had a post about air bag psi and a picture of a trucks broken frame rail right where the air bag was mounted at the top. Seems like the truck owner was using high psi in his bags to level his load.

I used air bags on all of my one ton DRW trucks to level max (rawr) axle/tire loads when I pulled heavy GN trailers. DOT doesn't like a saggy looking truck.
Air pressure needs varied between GM/Ford brands and even different year models in the same brands. The most psi I used was 35 psi in a older model Ford drw. The others usually in the 10-25 psi range.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Airlift bags that do not have an internal bump-stop. The instructions state that I must keep a minimum of 5 psi at all times, because the instructions made me remove the OEM ones.
Check yours to see if this is a requirement with yours.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has almost nothing to do with “feel” and almost everything to do with carrying the load and bringing the vehicle back up to level ish ride height.
Sounds like you don’t need or don’t know how to judge if you even need them.
If you’re hauling the same camper with 0 psi or 30psi your truck should or will handle differently.

The fact that you are running them anywhere between 0 and 90 psi with presumably similar loads is really strange.
Although it does support your question since you can’t tell what different pressures do to your ride/handling.
I, nor anyone else, can help you gain that sense that you’re lacking though.

I’ll assume 5000lb bags. You get about 500lbs of uplift for every 10psi. When you’re at 90psi. Your springs are doing virtually none of the work and it should ride like a bouncy house. 0 psi and 4000lbs on your truck if it’s the old stock springs is at the upper end of the practical payload of the springs.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At first I thought this was going to be a political thread. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

greenno

Clairemont Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 F350 CCLB SRW and haul a AF990 camper. Installed some Airlift 5000 airbags and the wireless on board compressor for inflating with the remote pad and run 50psi when loaded up and then default down to the 5psi limit when empty. Because of the custom springpack Im running the OL spring doesn't even get activated when loaded and the bags just stiffen up any sway or bounce that occurs which is minimal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Let's talk air bags...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.