cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD player Setup

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
Went to use DVD player and get nothing on the TV. Worked last time we used it a few weeks back. Don't use the TV often so it's always a challenge moving from one mode to another. Since last DVD viewing had set up for cable so I figure it's far more like to be a configuration issue than a cable coming loose to check which would require minor surgery.
DVD plays via a modulator. Setting I have are modulator on (light verifies) channel 3 (also tried 4) TV switch box set to TV ant, TV itself set to air and channels scanned with modulator on. Returned some channels but not DVD.

Any corrections or ideas before I start surgery?
13 REPLIES 13

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Since doing a scan picks up TV stations it sounds like the antenna is still connected to the TV. Your switch box should have a DVD player button. If all else fails, connect a coax directly from the F connector on the DVD player to the antenna in on the TV and do another scan.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
You also might want to start playing a movie before you rescan for channels.

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the interest. Yes, modulator is built into the switching box and I've tried TV (which is what I kinda recall using when it last worked, if I watched more often than once a month or so I might be more certain of settings). Anyway, tried several - TV, AV, DVD changing input source as appropriate.

Jenson has all above inputs plus 2 HDMI. Why in this day and age Winnebago set it up for modulator is beyond me but was OK with til it didn't work

All cabling in the wall or behind the Entertainment panel where player and switching box are. Looking like I'll have to open it up and see what's connected to what.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take it this Jensen TV doesn't have separate inputs for DVD, Cable, HDMI, or RCA cables. That would seem to be the only reason to have a modulator on it. Or am I looking at this incorrectly?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
greg121 wrote:
So many settings, forgot- TV (Jenson) set to be TV.

A modulator is antique tech which, since I am also antique am most familiar with in early computer days. Computer output was set to a device that modulated it into a signal you could view on your TV. I am somewhat surprised this is in a 2014 RV but it worked - until it didnt

It "works" but perhaps consider connecting via the AV cables to your TV instead of using the antenna input.

Depending on the age of your DVD player this can be accomplished in several ways.

Since you are using a modulator you can take the RCA cables that plug into the modulator and plug those directly into your TV. Those are composite video and left and right audio.

Plug the RCA connector which is colored yellow into the composite video jack marked yellow and the red and white RCA colored cables go into the red and white audio jacks (those are your audio).

On the TV, you should have a button on the remote which will be marked input, press that and it should give you a list of your TVs inputs. Select composite video input and done..

Then to go back to the tuner select tuner from that input button..

Each TV manufacture labels things a bit different and if you would like better instructions post the model of the TV and we may be able to find the manual and give better help.

Newer TVs and DVD players no longer have the analog inputs, instead everything is done digitally through HDMI inputs and cables..

The advantage of direct input is you will get a much sharper picture and better audio over the analog RF modulator and is very worth while the time to set it up.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
First question: What's a modulator? How old, and what brand, is the TV? Did you go to "Source/Input/" to select the input for the DVD?

OP was using a analog RF modulator which takes the analog composite video and analog audio and creates a analog TV channel (IE modulated RF channel).

Then the OP connected the output of the modulator to the TV antenna input.

To get the Analog RF channel to show up on the TV the OP would need to set the TV to "AIR" or "ANTENNA" in the setup menu. Once the tuner has been set to "AIR" or "ANTENNA" they should be back to normal. But if they had rescanned the TV with the modulator off it may have been removed from the channel list and the OP would need to either manually add the channel or do a rescan with the modulator on.

Slight possibility is the OP may have connected the modulator incorrectly (IE antenna on the RF output side and the TV to the Antenna input side which could explain why they are not seeing the DVD player.

They are not using analog AV inputs if they are using a modulator, only the RF input of the TV.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Id have to see your system but if the TV plays via a modulator is that part of a "Box of many buttons" if so choose DVD.

My system was major Rube goldberg from the factory, also I think it was DVD did not play properly on the TV.> Finally figured out why... The IDIOT who installed it plugged the DVD's video out cable into the TV's video out jack....Er.. Try Video IN (he got the audio right) OH well.. the hard part was stopping laughing (Oh I'm a certified electronics technician)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am 75 and do not remember every using a setup that you just describe.

Maybe time for you to get a modern TV sport and join us in the 21

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
Rescanned, picking up OTA signals not the DVD/modulator. So everything would seem to be good back to the modulator. Or the modulator connection to the switching box. Sigh.. surgery may be necessary.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
After you changed TV setting from cable to antenna (over the air) you may have to rescan the TV to pick up over the air channels, the modulator connected to the DVD player probably by RCA cables, turns the signals into VHF format for viewing on your TV. ch 3 or 4 was used so it didn’t interfere with an active VHF station in the area.
Again rescan TV

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
So many settings, forgot- TV (Jenson) set to be TV.

A modulator is antique tech which, since I am also antique am most familiar with in early computer days. Computer output was set to a device that modulated it into a signal you could view on your TV. I am somewhat surprised this is in a 2014 RV but it worked - until it didnt

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Sony DVD player with my Samsung TV and the player is connected by HDMI cable to my TV number 1 HDMI input slot. When I want to change from watching streaming movies using my laptop PC HDMI number 2 cable connect, I use the TV remote to switch from one HDMI source input to the HDMI/DVI source (DVD player). I have other items connected to the TV using composite cables, etc. There is a source button on my TV remote and TV on screen menu pops up allowing me to select which source I want to use with arrows on my TV remote.

You may try a restart on both your TV and DVD player as sometimes solves these types of problems.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
First question: What's a modulator? How old, and what brand, is the TV? Did you go to "Source/Input/" to select the input for the DVD?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"