Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Replace OEM fuel tank?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Replace OEM fuel tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When doing a lot of driving I like to stop at least every 4 hours....that is barely a half tank of diesel for my 2018 Ram. I have never had an issue with the tank size. For a break after driving 4 hours, I like to stop for a while so the time spent refueling is not a concern. I typically refuel, use the restroom, spend a few minutes in the camper checking emails, planning routes, and just plain taking it easy. I often take a short nap.

After a decent rest, I am ready for another 4 hours. In the Summer when the days are long, I often do a couple of rest stops and feel relaxed and can easily handle 10-12 hours of driving. If I try to avoid or shorten my rest breaks, I feel beat up with only about 8 hours of driving.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/22 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

So let's say you save $0.30/gal on the extra 30gal of fuel you can now carry (yes, you can find stray situations where it's higher but more often than not it will be less). That's $9 per fill up.

When you cross the border from California into Oregon, the diesel price drop is typically $1/gallon, often more. The main reason is taxes, but also zip code pricing. For example all the way up I5 in N CA, cheapest I could find last trip was about $4.40, just into Oregon even the name brand stations were $3.00.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/22 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

MarkTwain wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

I've got a 2018 RAM diesel, dually, crew cab, long bed. It is also blessed with a 32 gallon fuel tank.
Has anyone replaced that tank with a larger one? I'm looking at Titan and S&B brands. The S&B is 60 gallons so I'm leaning that direction.
Only issue is the Torklift mounted on the front drivers side. It looks like it could be a tight fit up against the tank.
Has anyone done this swap with Torklifts?
Thanks in advance...

I suggest you contact "Transfer Flow" in Chico Calif. and talk to them about replacement diesel fuel tanks. Great company and quality work. They have many choices of tanks. I have bought 3 different tanks from Transfer Fuel on different tanks and they have worked great. They can install a new tank in 1 day.

It would take me at least 3 days to drive there, then 3 days back.
I think I can install the tank on a Saturday afternoon. If not, pay a truck accessory shop to install it.

Transfer Flow will ship the tank of your choice to your truck accessory shop.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not about the money, or I wouldn't have an RV to begin with.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

MarkTwain wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

I've got a 2018 RAM diesel, dually, crew cab, long bed. It is also blessed with a 32 gallon fuel tank.
Has anyone replaced that tank with a larger one? I'm looking at Titan and S&B brands. The S&B is 60 gallons so I'm leaning that direction.
Only issue is the Torklift mounted on the front drivers side. It looks like it could be a tight fit up against the tank.
Has anyone done this swap with Torklifts?
Thanks in advance...

I suggest you contact "Transfer Flow" in Chico Calif. and talk to them about replacement diesel fuel tanks. Great company and quality work. They have many choices of tanks. I have bought 3 different tanks from Transfer Fuel on different tanks and they have worked great. They can install a new tank in 1 day.

It would take me at least 3 days to drive there, then 3 days back.
I think I can install the tank on a Saturday afternoon. If not, pay a truck accessory shop to install it.

Transfer Flow will ship the tank of your choice to your truck accessory shop.

Transfer Flow is the most expensive tank vendor. I'll pass.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

When doing a lot of driving I like to stop at least every 4 hours....that is barely a half tank of diesel for my 2018 Ram. I have never had an issue with the tank size. For a break after driving 4 hours, I like to stop for a while so the time spent refueling is not a concern. I typically refuel, use the restroom, spend a few minutes in the camper checking emails, planning routes, and just plain taking it easy. I often take a short nap.

After a decent rest, I am ready for another 4 hours. In the Summer when the days are long, I often do a couple of rest stops and feel relaxed and can easily handle 10-12 hours of driving. If I try to avoid or shorten my rest breaks, I feel beat up with only about 8 hours of driving.

Four hours on half a tank?
What size tank do you have?

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Quote"...Transfer Flow is the most expensive tank vendor. I'll pass.

Think there might be a reason for that? Check out what material the replacement tank you are looking at is made of before you decide.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/22 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Lol. Was thinking the same thing
Although this could be coupled with the “fuel gauges are nearly useless “ thread! Hahaha

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Four hours of highway driving is maybe 240 miles with little or no delays due to traffic, construction or road conditions. Under decent conditions, my mileage with the loaded camper is about 15 mpg. So that works out to about 16 gallons. My highway mileage is typically a bit less than 15, but I also rarely travel more than 200 miles at a stretch.

My tanks is whatever is standard in a 2018 3500 Ram CTD. I think that is 33 gallons.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the Titan 52 gallon replacement tank installed a year ago last September. About $1700 w/tax. It hangs down about 3" lower, and the gauge works differently, but no regrets.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights
2022- 68 Nights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Replace OEM fuel tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.