Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T or C, NM to Bisbee, AZ via I-10 and Hwy 80

babybird
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.

We're going to travel from Truth or Consequences, NM to Bisbee, AZ, soon. Google Maps and our RV specific GPS has us going I-10 to Highway 80.

I'm concerned because there is a low clearance bridge in Douglas, AZ, at mile marker 366, but I can't seem to locate it. I hope it's because we're being routed around it, but I don't trust Google Maps nor the GPS.

I looked at the route via satellite view but I can't seem to locate it that way either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
T H I S - Low Clearances might help. Says for AZ 80 in Douglas, bridge height of 12ft 10 inches at MP 366. If you're over, could probably find a means to get around that particular spot.

ETA: That looks to be near the intersection of Pan American Ave S (US 191) and "G" Street (historic US 80) but I sure don't see any overpasses of any kind in that area.

From Google sat view and streetview, I see evidence of old railroad tracks in Douglas. In fact the Douglas Police Department is located in a historic depot. So it's possible that at one time those tracks crossed AZ80 on a low bridge, and the listing is a remnant from those times.

https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/AZ-01-003-0031

I found some old USGS topo scans that confirm the railroad tracks and bridge over the highway, possibly as recent as 1990.

babybird
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Sorry for the delay. Just wanted to thank everyone for the input.

We were a little concerned as we approached mile marker 336, but I can confirm that there are no low clearance areas to be concerned about between Williamsburg, NM, and Naco, AZ, via Highway 80.

Thanks again!

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've taken hwy 80 from Rodeo, NM down through Douglas to Tombstone and beyond a couple years ago with our 13'3" tall rig. No problem.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall ever having a low clearance in Douglas especially since it's a major commercial trucking route to bring goods from Mexico to the US. OTR trucks travel that every day and I haven't heard of anyone getting stuck.

Now on 80 in Bisbee are a couple of mine train bridges with lower clearances. It shouldn't be a problem (unless not paying attention to the signs) as they have multiple by-pass routes to get around those areas.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
babybird wrote:
Thank you for the reply and the info.

I'm running into the same thing. I can't find this supposed low clearance area, but I definitely want to avoid it. It doesn't look like there are many options for routing around it.

OTR trucks must be getting into Bisbee. Consult a trucker's road atlas.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

babybird
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the reply and the info.

I'm running into the same thing. I can't find this supposed low clearance area, but I definitely want to avoid it. It doesn't look like there are many options for routing around it.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
T H I S - Low Clearances might help. Says for AZ 80 in Douglas, bridge height of 12ft 10 inches at MP 366. If you're over, could probably find a means to get around that particular spot.

ETA: That looks to be near the intersection of Pan American Ave S (US 191) and "G" Street (historic US 80) but I sure don't see any overpasses of any kind in that area.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.