cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Wagoneer vs RAM 1500

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Head to head between the two. I see a real possibility of changing out of my Expedition (which admittedly has been a very good vehicle) to a GW before the end of the year.

clicky
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
27 REPLIES 27

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
LWB model has now been spied. Speculation is that it will be available Q3. And come with the new I6 turbo. I know what Iโ€™m upgrading to later this year.

MOPAR article
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
Now that I do agree with - when's the last time we saw Gates and Bezos in a Rolls? Real success needs no symbol.

Bezos literally just flew to space in what looked like a giant c@ck. He's way beyond a Rolls.

He didn't do it to show his wealth, he did it because he could.

The difference between the uber-rich and just made it rich.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
Now that I do agree with - when's the last time we saw Gates and Bezos in a Rolls? Real success needs no symbol.

Bezos literally just flew to space in what looked like a giant c@ck. He's way beyond a Rolls.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Maybe. The point was that overwhelmingly reviews will state that in terms of luxury, the GW will stand up to any vehicle out there.

And, FWIW, data shows that most ultra high income individuals don't buy based on status symbol. The top two vehicles for those making over $200k/year are the F150 followed by the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The top 3 brands are Toyota, Honda, Ford.

Status symbols cater to the shallower market of new money, think Vancouver high end real estate agents, start-up companies, etc.

I have zero doubt the GW is every bit as luxurious, just like a Track Hawk can hang with Euro's best hyper-SUVs. I just doubt they'll be run-away sales success due to their family background...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Yet people have no problem dropping $100K for a 5th wheel that depreciates like a rock the minute you pull it of the dealers lot. Then you get to take it back to the dealer to fix stuff and on and on.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
I saw a Grand Wagoneer in my dealer's showroom last week. That thing was about 7 feet tall and had a sticker of $112k. I was scared to touch it!
JK

Only about 3 years ago I was selling oceanfront condos for that amount! :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I saw a Grand Wagoneer in my dealer's showroom last week. That thing was about 7 feet tall and had a sticker of $112k. I was scared to touch it!
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's also the Wagoneer that's a lower grade and more affordable that may compete with the Tahoe and Expedition.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Have you looked at one? Or read any of the reviews? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I'll save you some time. Here is a MotorTrend comparison where it bests the Escalade
MotorTrend

Vs Navigator

AutoGuide Comparison

Reviews alone don't sell vehicles at this price bracket; Badge and status symbol is a BIG part of it. Many Range Rover and Mercedes buyers don't even know what an engine is, but need to buy them for the social meetup after the board meeting.

A VW CC, Audi A8, Bentley Flying Spur are all modifications of one chassis. A CC drives every bit as nice as the Bentley, just rides firmer. One's a junior manager's car, another for the junior VP, and the last one for senior board member / chair.

Maybe. The point was that overwhelmingly reviews will state that in terms of luxury, the GW will stand up to any vehicle out there.

And, FWIW, data shows that most ultra high income individuals don't buy based on status symbol. The top two vehicles for those making over $200k/year are the F150 followed by the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The top 3 brands are Toyota, Honda, Ford.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Have you looked at one? Or read any of the reviews? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I'll save you some time. Here is a MotorTrend comparison where it bests the Escalade
MotorTrend

Vs Navigator

AutoGuide Comparison

Reviews alone don't sell vehicles at this price bracket; Badge and status symbol is a BIG part of it. Many Range Rover and Mercedes buyers don't even know what an engine is, but need to buy them for the social meetup after the board meeting.

A VW CC, Audi A8, Bentley Flying Spur are all modifications of one chassis. A CC drives every bit as nice as the Bentley, just rides firmer. One's a junior manager's car, another for the junior VP, and the last one for senior board member / chair.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
LOL! 3 pointed star, Perceived quality!
Daimler is far from something I would buy!

Sure. Like I said, no right and no wrong. Everybody has their opinion, and their preferences.

Looks like by your profile you bought a Ford Excursion and a Forest River product. Good for you. Your choice :C Sorry that you've had poor personal experience with MB products in the past. I have not, so I still like them.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Are the more modest versions more in line with prices you'd expect for a Suburban or Expedition?

$87k IS the "modest" version...lol

The Grand Wagoneer isnโ€™t made to compete with the Burb and the Expedition. Itโ€™s made to compete with the Escalade and Navigator, and is priced accordingly. The Wagoneer is designed to compete with the Burb and the Ex. There really isnโ€™t a โ€œbaseโ€ model of either, they are all much better equipped at the lowest trim level, but when they are speced with similar options they are priced comparably.

Yup, Cadillac, Lincoln,.....Jeep. Those 3 belong in the same basket, yessireee!! :h

MotorTrend

Vs Navigator

AutoGuide Comparison

It's still a Jeep (and yes, I've read several reviews). Like I said in an earlier post, to spend that much money on a vehicle it darn well better have a three-pointed star on the hood (and for that money, it certainly could).

Sorry, everybody's taste is different. There's no right and no wrong. Just not a big Jeep fan (other than Wrangler's for beach driving, oh yes, and Renegades, just to make me chuckle).

I don't think Cadillac and Lincoln mean much anymore in terms of being luxury brands to most folks. For the last decade plus they've mostly just been high trim level Chevy and Ford SUVs. I doubt being called a Jeep will hamper the GW at all in comparison.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! 3 pointed star, Perceived quality!
Daimler is far from something I would buy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Are the more modest versions more in line with prices you'd expect for a Suburban or Expedition?

$87k IS the "modest" version...lol

The Grand Wagoneer isnโ€™t made to compete with the Burb and the Expedition. Itโ€™s made to compete with the Escalade and Navigator, and is priced accordingly. The Wagoneer is designed to compete with the Burb and the Ex. There really isnโ€™t a โ€œbaseโ€ model of either, they are all much better equipped at the lowest trim level, but when they are speced with similar options they are priced comparably.

Yup, Cadillac, Lincoln,.....Jeep. Those 3 belong in the same basket, yessireee!! :h

MotorTrend

Vs Navigator

AutoGuide Comparison

It's still a Jeep (and yes, I've read several reviews). Like I said in an earlier post, to spend that much money on a vehicle it darn well better have a three-pointed star on the hood (and for that money, it certainly could).

Sorry, everybody's taste is different. There's no right and no wrong. Just not a big Jeep fan (other than Wrangler's for beach driving, oh yes, and Renegades, just to make me chuckle).