cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Compressor

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for a new air compressor for my National Tradewinds class A. My current compressor is great for tools and my car tires but it takes too long to air up the MH tires to 100psi. Looking for suggestions for one that I can carry in one of the MH compartments
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
28 REPLIES 28

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
What air compressor to buy depends on what you plan to use it for. If you're an active tool user you might need a larger compressor than someone who uses it mostly to fill their tires. Take a look at the air usage of the air tools you have and then check the CFM of the compressors you're looking at.

I bought a DeWalt portable inflater to carry in the trailer. It's light, small, and does the job, albeit a bit slowly. I have lots of DeWalt batteries so it was a no brainer. It will inflate my 120 psi tires very well.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t forget to consider the CFM at the pressure you need. I have a Quincy and a Champion compressor and they both have coalescing filters on them. Iโ€™ve always winterize my RVs with compressed air and thereโ€™s no oil and no smell. Oil free compressors wonโ€™t take the torture that lubricated compressors will unless you get into the industrial rated oil freeโ€™s. Pumping up big motorhome tires will be darn hard on most oil free compressors. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get the highest psi as a 125 will not fill a 125psi tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE - look up Makita compressors in Amazon. They offer a 1/2hp, 1hp, and 1.5hp that are all very quiet. Max psi of 135. Airflow at 90psi is probably what to look for to compare airing up a tire. I chose the 1/2hp because I cared more about size and cost that the time it would take to top off a tire, since theyโ€™re quiet it doesnโ€™t bother me to wait a little longer. I had a louder one that I got rid of because I was embarrassed to run it in a campground (besides hurting my ears), and I have a large tank model to fill tires with at home.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really appreciate all the input from you all. I did purchase the Craftsman 150psi and am happy with it. Did a really good job on getting my tires back up to 100psi. Yes it's loud. What is the PSI of the Makita and cost.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Makita a year ago, itโ€™s VERY quiet which makes it a joy to use. I pulled it out a week ago and smiled when it came on knowing that the conversation going on at the next campsite didnโ€™t even notice it
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote: WOW, bout the same weight as an ANDERSEN hitch.

Yup, but won't pass the 50K lb crush test though!

That 35 lbs is the shipping wt. Actual dry wt is 30 lbs, plus 6 gals of compressed air. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Too funny I was thinking if it would pass the โ€œcrush testโ€.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Umm, you do realize Gardner Denver is an industrial air compressor business whi happens to manufacture "oilless" aircompressors?

Per your link in the about us section..

"Gardner Denver is a leading provider of mission-critical flow control and compression equipment and associated aftermarket parts, consumables and services, which it sells across multiple attractive end-markets within the industrial, energy and medical industries. Its broad and complete range of compressor, vacuum and blower products and services, along with its application expertise and over 160 years of engineering heritage, allows Gardner Denver to provide differentiated product and service offerings for its customers' specific uses."

Of course, they ARE going to push "oiless" solutions as good QUALITY oiless compressors that last a long time are not cheap.

It is a crummy commercial!

For the consumer end of things, oiless compressors are typically cheaply built rubber diaphragm compressors which are not going to have very much CFM of air flow, often will have a lower working pressure and a much shorter life. Now if you happen to find a oiless piston compressor (often found in 12V and cheap 120V type compressors) they have a short duty cycle time and then you have to give them time to rest and cool down and over all the life of piston oiless compressors are much shorter than ones that use oil..

Oilless compressors are not required for airing tires and with a couple of simple and effective air/water filters in place plenty safe to use with clearing water out of your water system for winter storage.

The main downside to oil type compressors is they must be stored upright.

Yes, but that doesn't make the information invalid. Oil free compressors don't need "a couple of simple and effective air/water filters," and are relatively cheap and widely available. The Craftsman he is asking about is likely oil free.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote: WOW, bout the same weight as an ANDERSEN hitch.

Yup, but won't pass the 50K lb crush test though!

That 35 lbs is the shipping wt. Actual dry wt is 30 lbs, plus 6 gals of compressed air. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
MRC54 wrote:
We purchased a DeWalt 165 PSI pancake. Even this one takes a bit of time to get to 110.

This is my 165 psi DeWalt, likely same as yours. Mine does not take long to reach the 165 max, as indicated on quality gauges. It is also light wt, about 35 lbs.

Jerry

WOW, bout the same weight as an ANDERSEN hitch.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
MRC54 wrote:
We purchased a DeWalt 165 PSI pancake. Even this one takes a bit of time to get to 110.

This is my 165 psi DeWalt, likely same as yours. Mine does not take long to reach the 165 max, as indicated on quality gauges. It is also light wt, about 35 lbs.

Jerry

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Mine is the Porter Cable and I like it. I don't see why Craftsman won't be just as good. Be sure it is oil-free.

The thing that speeds up the process is the PSI it runs at. A 150 PSI rated compressor actually generates about 125 PSI. When you have 98 PSI in your tire and the compressor only generates 125 PSI, the air flows slowly because it is only 27 PSI difference. That is why the tire airs up faster, at first, when it is flat. It has a 125 PSI difference. The pressure differential is greater so the air flows faster. If you truly want FAST, get a (more expensive) compressor with higher PSI ratings. I know there are 200 PSI compressors, and there may be others.

Why oil free?

Gardner Denver wrote:
Air purity is critical for many applications where even the tiniest drop of oil, or air contaminated with oil can cause product spoilage, product recall or damage production equipment.

Gardner Denver article

The amount of oil may not damage the water lines, but why take the chance when oil-free is easily obtainable?

Umm, you do realize Gardner Denver is an industrial air compressor business whi happens to manufacture "oilless" aircompressors?

Per your link in the about us section..

"Gardner Denver is a leading provider of mission-critical flow control and compression equipment and associated aftermarket parts, consumables and services, which it sells across multiple attractive end-markets within the industrial, energy and medical industries. Its broad and complete range of compressor, vacuum and blower products and services, along with its application expertise and over 160 years of engineering heritage, allows Gardner Denver to provide differentiated product and service offerings for its customers' specific uses."

Of course, they ARE going to push "oiless" solutions as good QUALITY oiless compressors that last a long time are not cheap.

It is a crummy commercial!

For the consumer end of things, oiless compressors are typically cheaply built rubber diaphragm compressors which are not going to have very much CFM of air flow, often will have a lower working pressure and a much shorter life. Now if you happen to find a oiless piston compressor (often found in 12V and cheap 120V type compressors) they have a short duty cycle time and then you have to give them time to rest and cool down and over all the life of piston oiless compressors are much shorter than ones that use oil..

Oilless compressors are not required for airing tires and with a couple of simple and effective air/water filters in place plenty safe to use with clearing water out of your water system for winter storage.

The main downside to oil type compressors is they must be stored upright.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
I'm looking at 150 psi by craftsman, will that work fast?
Probably not, and bring earplugs. As said earlier, big tires take a lot of air, and any portable small compressor is just going to take time, and can easily overheat if worked too hard.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I am a advocate for blowing lines. I will take that chance over the pink stuff anyway. I carry a 2hp twin stacked tank Emglo compressor that i have bumped to 150psi so it will air my 125psi tires.

I used this compressor for many years doing finish Carpenter work and now resides in my RV basement.