cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway bars

gphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
How much benefit do you gain using 2 sway bars vs just one? Say for a trailer in the 30 ft. range.
9 REPLIES 9

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never mind. On re-reading the post, I saw that I misinterpreted it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If properly set up, it really shouldn't be needed in most situations.
- Make sure the truck is capable and not overloaded (payload almost always runs out before tow rating)
- Make sure you have 12-15% of the trailer weight on the hitch (more if your truck can accommodate is good).
- Dial in the weight distributing hitch to get most of the weight back on the front axle.

If you do this, the sway bar is likely to be unneeded in most driving conditions. It won't hurt to use but it won't be critical.
If you have a poor setup, 3-4 sway bars may not keep it under control.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
On our 4th trailer and my tried and trusted Reese DC has been on each one of them.
Currently tow a 30ft 7700# trailer with a F250 7.3 gas and won't leave home without a WDH.....For the safety of myself and others.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You may not benefit at all, if you don't need sway control in the first place.
Depends whether you're the "typical" RVer who thinks a wdh and sway control is mandatory, in virtually all scenarios, or the rest of the world who largely don't use them.

Edit, you may very well need weight distribution and/or sway control, but as said above, without more details, recommendations are tough to make.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Skip the sway bars and get a Reese Straight Line (Dual Cam) setup. Worlds better than a friction sway bar. The only thing better is the Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride.

X2

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
gphoenix wrote:
How much benefit do you gain using 2 sway bars vs just one? Say for a trailer in the 30 ft. range.

Welcome!

And welcome to the world of towing a travel trailer, we assuming you mean travel trailer as opposed to an open flat bed trailer which is very different. If we knew more context on what the truck & camper are, if you already have a weight distributing hitch (WD), and what brand & size WD, truck cargo loading (weight), we can help give better comments on what is best for your overall towing setup.

Friction sway bars have a limitation on how effective they can be. Yes, 2 bars is better then 1 bar, as it doubles the friction. But there are many other factors on how to create a stable and comfortable towing camper that even 2 friction bars cannot overcome. Pending your rig setup, 2 friction bars may not correct all your problems.

Loaded trailer tongue weight, the trailer total loaded weight, the truck weights when hitched are within "all" it's capacities, the truck suspension size, the truck tire brand/size & pressure, truck aftermarket lift kits mod's etc, truck wheel base compared the the trailer length, and then, the WD hitch and what type of anti sway control all adds up to a good towing rig when they are all optimized.

Tell us some about your setup and we can help give you better choices and explanation on how to help make a better total towing package.

Hope this helps,

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the sway bars and get a Reese Straight Line (Dual Cam) setup. Worlds better than a friction sway bar. The only thing better is the Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to the forum where you can get free input that you don't need bars to you do need bars.

I tow a heavy bumper pull equipment trailer ....several GN trailers and a 32' 5th wheel RV trailer.
I use a 18' 10k gvwr bumper pull equipment trailer with the wifes 1500 chevy 4wd truck with a 7480 lb blue tractor/FEL on deck 9260 lbs on the trailer axles and 1120 lbs on the trucks rear axle without a WD/sway bars. It had a bit more sway when making a quick steering input than I liked.
I asked the forum about which hitch WD hitch with bars for this truck that would see lots of fields and pasture and off road work sites that doesn't hang down low. Barney (mod) recommend a Husky Center line TS with 1200 lb bars/friction bars.
Now the combo handles the same as my other GN/5th wheel trailers when making sudden steering input changes.

A 30' TT has a lot of sidewall for side winds to push on or bow waves from passing semi's. I would think two sway bars would work better than one.
We have some very experienced members on the TT/WD/sway bar issues like the stickies for the TT forum and others like myself who have a opinion based on little to no experience with heavy bumper pull trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum

More of a safety item, the general recommendation is if you towing anything north of 25' you should have 2 friction sway bars.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)