cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A LP Gas Line

MSU_Dog_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
On our last camping trip we woke up cold. After not being able to get the furnace to turn on I found out the LP tank was empty. That was odd since the last time I checked the level it had plenty and don't use it that much. (A full tank will last us over 3 years.) I broke camp and drove to the closest LP dealer to have it filled. When they started filling the tank, LP started leaking from the hose that connected my tank and the the RV's filler connection pannel. Now I'm searching for a replacement hose and can't find one. (Monaco isn't any help either.) I've also searched LP gas suppliers that can make hoses, but the hoses they make are not the same as the one I have. Visibly they are different because they don't have the protective woven outer layer.
Any help in pointing me to a source for the correct hose (about 5 feet long) will be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

MSU_Dog_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I found a local shop that took my line and tested it to verify the leak location. Although I couldn't see where it was leaking, it was where I thought it would be - where the hose ran across the top of the frame. I guess the outer fabric layer didn't show the wear, but that layer must have worn into the rubber behind it. Anyway, the shop then cut out the bad section and put 2 fittings on that were then connected with a nipple. I installed it last night and I figure I won't be having this problem again. The fittings are now sitting on top of the frame, not the hose. I'll be dead and gone long before the frame wears through those fittings. If I have a bad experience trying to find a part, I always keep looking and find a spare to put in my parts bin. Since I don't want the entire fill system - just the hose I'll contact that EBAY seller to see if they'll send me just the hose and fittings. Thanks for the help.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2001_Diplomat.pdf

Look at section 7 and pages 157 and 159. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MSU Dog Hauler wrote:
One end of the hose has the connection the LP gas company uses to connect their fill hose to and the RV's tank is on the end of the hose. So I assume this is the fill hose. I'm not sure what an 80% hose is...

ANY LP tank has an 80% valve. BUT, for this discussion we will talk about Motorhome ASME tanks. Your year model should have the tank mounted under the chassis in the middle. There is no access for the tank fittings. So, Monaco/HR used 2 remote hoses. The large hose is the fill hose and is connected to the fill connection on the tank. There should be another smaller valve knob close to the remote fill connection(usually within 3 or 4 inches). It is usually brass colored and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter. This is a valve on an ASME tank that is REQUIRED to be partiall open a few turns when you fill the LP tank. ASME tanks have a fill cutoff, but this 80% valve is a redundant backup to monitor the fill. IF this 80% valve spews LIQUID LP, YOU STOP THE FILL EVEN IF THE AUTO SHUT OFF HAS NOT TRIPPED. The tank has reached its 80% capacity, hence it is called the 80% valve. Doug

This is a pick of the type you have. Notice you can buy the kit for $175 which will work on your motorhome

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-PROPANE-REMOTE-FILL-KIT-WITH-MOUNTING-BRACKET-RV-MOTORHOME-AUTOGAS-LPG-...

MSU_Dog_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
One end of the hose has the connection the LP gas company uses to connect their fill hose to and the RV's tank is on the end of the hose. So I assume this is the fill hose. I'm not sure what an 80% hose is...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have 2 hoses. The FILL hose and the 80% hose. Are you positive it is the fill hose and not the 80% hose? Doug

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
You can have a hydraulic hose maker make the hose/line.

Yep - Just about any hose shop should be able to make that, complete with the protective sleeve over the outside.

Just show them the old one, tell them what it's for, and let them do their thing.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You should have a switch that turns the LP tank ON and Off. Usually has a red led light next to it. The defective hose runs from the filler to the tank input filler. Usually there is a adapter that drops the size from the tank to the remote connection. Do you have that approximate size of that line? You can have a hydraulic hose maker make the hose/line. Hyd Hoses are rated from 3000 psi up to more than 5000 psi. 3000 psi is more than overkill. ASME tanks rarely get over 300 PSI in hot weather. I would remove the bad hose and take to the Hyd hose maker so they can install the correct ends and diameter. You should have a Diesel which means HEAT is not a concern for that hose. Doug

dedmiston
Hi Dog Hauler,

Welcome to the forum.

Check out THIS THREAD for help with posting photos.

It's hard to guess on your nose and your fittings, but Amazon has a good selection.

And three years on an LP tank is incredible.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230