Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Old laptop working after 24+ hrs of fiddling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Old laptop working after 24+ hrs of fiddling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 9yr old HP laptop that died on me last year. It was old so I bought a new one.

Last week came time to do or die for the old one. It would take over 45 min to boot up and be dead slow after that. I would click a choice, go away for 15-20 min waiting for the response then click the next option.
After 5-6 hrs (I swear) I finally reached the update option. It took till the next day, over 24 hrs of run time to get it updated. The screen was blank for hours at a time, do or die.
It's now running as it was new... slow by modern standards but it works.

UPDATE
Still doing updates, five today.
Seems like you have to check for updates after each update even though it's on 'auto update'. It's like they are all sequential and can't do some updates till all previous ones have been done... or something like that.

* This post was edited 01/18/22 04:37pm by Fizz *

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/22 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's great that the old guy is still in service.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

... slow by modern standards but it works.

Now that it is stable, do a backup ! Write down he license number.

Find a "retail distribution" of your version of Windows. Feel free to over write he factory backup partition. You may have to manually install some drivers. Getting rid of "bloatware" makes a big difference.

Install a SSD ! You will be amazed at how fast it will runs.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Fizz wrote:

Find a "retail distribution" of your version of Windows. Feel free to over write he factory backup partition. You may have to manually install some drivers. Getting rid of "bloatware" makes a big difference.

Thanks but too much bother.
All bloatware is gone, temp, recycle etc all cleaned out.
It is what it is.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/22 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Backup any files you need and recycle it. It will never be remotely trustworthy from here out.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish my 30 month old HP would do that. It has failed a second time. The first was under warranty and they replaced the Optonic and HDD. It recently crashed again. It behaved like the HDD was in trouble, so I loaded a new OS on another that I had a popped it in....

Still no joy.

I took it to a local shop that does HP repairs. They had it for a week and told me that the device on the main board that does the port management had died. A new main board and installation is different cost from a new laptop by only lunch at a fast food place.

I don't think I'm buying another HP anything.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had them all slowly wither and die: HP, Dell, ASUS, Sony.
So I switched sides, to the evil Apples. I grudgingly admit it is much more reliable.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/22 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just gave away my three year old MacBook Pro to my grandson. I hated that thing! It only had two "C" ports on each side and that was all. Had a heck of a time trying to move pictures from my phone to the computer, never did figure out the file system after almost 45 years with a PC, too many things are limited to that machine, and finally the thing locked up on me twice and I had to take it to a pro to get it running again.
I ended up restoring it to factory new condition and giving it away to by grandson. Hope he has better luck than I did.

I replaced it with an MSI gaming laptop that, so far, seems to be of excellent quality and is very fast and fun to use. It gets excellent reviews so I hope it will last for a few years.

I also have two other laptops that I put Linux "Mint" on and they are working well even though they are completely out of date and would be considered junk by most.
I use one of them all the time in the trailer out in the woods and my phone as the hotspot. Works for me.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lately two of my W10 PCs have been running 100% disk utilization. I got one of them back to normal by going back to the previous checkpoint; still working on the second. Takes many minutes to respond to a ketstroke.

These PCs are 10 or more years old but there's no reason to get rid of them. Not until W11 becomes mandatory because they probably won't work with W11. Maybe them I'll replace them. OR run Linux.

At least neither of our heavy hitters have displayed this problem. The PC I'm using right now is 12 years old. Still good for everyday activities but I'm noticing it's slow for some simulations.

lryrob9301

Anywhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/22 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Fizz wrote:

Thanks but too much bother.
All bloatware is gone, temp, recycle etc all cleaned out.
It is what it is.

Also install as much RAM as the motherboard will take. You will be amazed at how much better the PC performs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Old laptop working after 24+ hrs of fiddling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.