Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Redarc 40 amp DC to DC Charger issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Redarc 40 amp DC to DC Charger issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
otrfun

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/19/22 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if all Redarc dc to dc chargers operate the same. It appears some Redarcs may set an output/charge current ceiling (and vary input current), whereas other models may set an input current ceiling (and vary output/charge current).

Our 40a Renogy dc to dc charger can vary the output/charge current from 0 to 40a. After 9 months of heavy use, under all conditions, I've never seen the output/charge current increase beyond 40a---it's a hard ceiling. Although the *input* current on our Renogy always stays below 45a, some installations (with longer cable runs & smaller gauge cables) can force the input current to rise as high as 60a to compensate for various voltage drops between the alternator and Renogy input.

S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe it is wire size, I use 1/0 DLO cable rated at 270amps so I don’t have much voltage drop.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All cabling is well within spec. The starting and house batteries are within two feet of each other and the charger is next to the house battery. Replacing the tripping breaker with a Blue Sea unit solved the problem. Input current to the Redarc gets as high as 54 amps with the ignition on without starting the motor. Settles to around 45 with the motor running. Output current stays about 43 amps when driving and climbs to about 48-49 at idle. This seems somewhat out of spec but it's certainly acceptable to me in terms of performance.

S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh ok mine is not triggered by the ignition, it is sensing voltage to trigger it on and then after about 30 seconds slowly ramps up the amps. I wonder if you got a mislabeled 50 amp unit?

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

Oh ok mine is not triggered by the ignition, it is sensing voltage to trigger it on and then after about 30 seconds slowly ramps up the amps. I wonder if you got a mislabeled 50 amp unit?

Maybe? That works for me.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok DC/DC chargers are voltage converters. they work one of two ways (Buck only or Buck/Boost) if boosting the amps in go up as the volts out go up.
And they also draw "overhead" power.
How to limit the current so the breaker does not pop I do not know other than a longer wire.. I'd not recommend a smaller wire, between the unit and the battery Make sure the wire can haul the full 40 (in fact 50 to be safe) amps but lengthen it so the resistance limits the current DO NOT COIL IT


Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Ok DC/DC chargers are voltage converters. they work one of two ways (Buck only or Buck/Boost) if boosting the amps in go up as the volts out go up.
And they also draw "overhead" power.
How to limit the current so the breaker does not pop I do not know other than a longer wire.. I'd not recommend a smaller wire, between the unit and the battery Make sure the wire can haul the full 40 (in fact 50 to be safe) amps but lengthen it so the resistance limits the current DO NOT COIL IT


Replacing the cheap breaker with a quality Blue Sea unit did the trick.

otrfun

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/20/22 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

. . . Input current to the Redarc gets as high as 54 amps with the ignition on without starting the motor . . .
Any particular reason you would allow your dc to dc charger to be on-line when the alternator is off-line? Most use a battery isolator or trigger wire (found on most dc to dc chargers) to prevent the dc to dc charger from inadvertently discharging the starter/TV battery when the alternator is off-line for any reason.
Teleman wrote:

Output current stays about 43 amps when driving and climbs to about 48-49 at idle.
Are you saying the output or input current climbs to 48-49a at idle?

If the output/charge current climbs to 48-49a at idle, I'd have to agree, it's definitely out-of-spec. How high did the input current go?

If you're referencing input current to the dc to dc charger, then 48-49a would seem perfectly normal with the alternator operating less efficiently at idle (higher voltage drop forces higher current).

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/22 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Teleman wrote:

. . . Input current to the Redarc gets as high as 54 amps with the ignition on without starting the motor . . .
Any particular reason you would allow your dc to dc charger to be on-line when the alternator is off-line? Most use a battery isolator or trigger wire (found on most dc to dc chargers) to prevent the dc to dc charger from inadvertently discharging the starter/TV battery when the alternator is off-line for any reason.
Teleman wrote:

Output current stays about 43 amps when driving and climbs to about 48-49 at idle.
Are you saying the output or input current climbs to 48-49a at idle?

If the output/charge current climbs to 48-49a at idle, I'd have to agree, it's definitely out-of-spec. How high did the input current go?

If you're referencing input current to the dc to dc charger, then 48-49a would seem perfectly normal with the alternator operating less efficiently at idle (higher voltage drop forces higher current).

I only turned the ignition on to measure the current briefly out of curiosity before I started the motor. The charger activates with a signal from the ignition. The output current is about 43A at higher rpms and 48 at idle like I said.

otrfun

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/20/22 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

I only turned the ignition on to measure the current briefly out of curiosity before I started the motor. The charger activates with a signal from the ignition. The output current is about 43A at higher rpms and 48 at idle like I said.
I prefer using a battery isolator because it requires >13.3v to activate the dc to dc charger. Zero chance of inadvertently discharging the starter/TV battery—ignition on or off.

I was hoping it was your input current fluctuating. Very unusual for charge current to fluctuate like that based on alternator rpm/output. The whole purpose of a dc to dc charger is to stabilize the charge process.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Redarc 40 amp DC to DC Charger issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.