cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

INCREASING lpg capacity ?

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
Are older tanks worth the effort or the expense? Does anyone actually check dates of manufacture ? Best to just buy new ? Best deals ?
40 REPLIES 40

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
Carry on with any LPG topic guyz !

But what Iโ€™m interested in is a larger permanently mounted tank in the underside of a motor home โ€ฆ.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
That is dependent on the LP filler. The CORRECT way to fill a DOT tank is by weight.
Ok, I'll rephrase the question. What is the cost to refill a tank in the same area where the exchange is still $20?

A bunch of the guys I travel with that have trailers have retrofitted their units to allow them to run a standard 33 pound forklift tank because of the increased capacity and big cost savings.

Since these tanks have an 80% valve they are filled by the gallon so you donโ€™t get hosed for a top-up, and have a design capacity of 7.9 gallons.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
That is dependent on the LP filler. The CORRECT way to fill a DOT tank is by weight.
Ok, I'll rephrase the question. What is the cost to refill a tank in the same area where the exchange is still $20?
That's a loaded question, and will vary much more than the cost of an exchange, at least in my area. Around here (Riverside/San Bernardino), an exchange varies from $18-$23, while the cost to refill can be anywhere from $2.50 gal to $4.00 gal. One station near me charges $2.59/gal IF you use more than 5 gallons (impossible with a 20lb cylinder), otherwise it's $3.59. So I always take 2 cylinders to refill in order to get the cheaper price.

Ultimately, it is always cheaper to refill your cylinder than do an exchange. However, the exchange is preferable when your cylinder is nearing expiration date, in otherwise poor condition, or as a matter of convenience/in a hurry, etc.:C
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong here - the exchange places only do the 5 gal BBQ type cylinders - right?
That's correct, although they will accept the 7 gallon tanks as an exchange.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please correct me if I am wrong here - the exchange places only do the 5 gal BBQ type cylinders - right? So, if you have any different size, your SOL?

Last summer my larger tanks were expired by date code. To buy new ones were $60 I think vs $6 to recertify. Then less than $20 to fill. This was a no brainer and easy, the same place that fills, does the recert - now I did have to go to a farm store, that does more than propane, there is also a propane service center a few miles away that will do recert, but easy, cheaper than buying new and the replace option is only for 5 gal and way more expensive - in my area its $20-$30 for replacements.

As for the cost - that's like asking what is the price per gallon of fuel for your car - It's different everywhere and every time you fill up. But, only a few bucks a gallon - $2-$4 depending on where you are.

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

That's actually a tricky question because some places refill cylinders by the gallon, and some places refill them for a flat fee regardless of how much is still in there, and some of the flat-fee places don't fill them all the way. So you can't always compare $19.99 to $19.99.

At Menard's (big midwest Home Depot-type chain), an exchange is $17.99, and it has the usual 15 pounds of propane found at exchange places (Blue Rhino). Most other exchanges are around $20.

Some Menard's locations refill cylinders (not exchange). For a 20-pound cylinder, it's a flat rate of $17.99; they fill only to 18.5 pounds, which is better than the 15 pounds at an exchange, but still not full.

At a CVS not far from this Menard's, the exchange is $24.99.

The closest place I could find where you can get a cylinder completely filled and pay only for what you get is a U-Haul, and that's $3.59/gallon.

For the OP: An onboard tank can be a PITA to get filled, but it can be cheaper because you'll never suffer from a flat-fee fill, but also, I've encountered places that, if you do the math, charge more per gallon for filling cylinders than onboard tanks. There's a propane place (the kind that people use for home delivery) that charges $2.95/gallon if you fill an onboard tank, but they have a flat fee for cylinders that works out to $4.78/gallon if the cylinder is dead empty.

The Menard's that does propane by the gallon does the same thing--if you fill an onboard thank there, it's $3.45/gallon. The cylinder refill works out to over $4/gallon.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
$2.00 to $2.75 per gallon. So refill at about $14. At $10, I would refill. So, for $6 I would do the tank exchange. Doug
Cheapest I saw was $2.80 at the Q, much higher in So Cal at nearly $4.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

$2.00 to $2.75 per gallon. So refill at about $14. At $10, I would refill. So, for $6 I would do the tank exchange. Doug

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Home Depot and Walmart in Beaumont. Both $20.
What's the cost/gallon on a refill?

That is dependent on the LP filler. The CORRECT way to fill a DOT tank is by weight. So, if you have an empty 20# tank, it will hold about 4.8 gallons LP. Now, it depends on the Fillers Practice. Some, charge by the tank size regardless of how many gallons went in. This is OK for an empty tank. Then some charge by the gallons put in the tank. This is better if the tank is not empty. You need to ask what and how they charge. If they charge by the tank size, you pay the same regardless if they put 3 gallons or 5 gallons in the tank. AS to recertification, just use the tank exchange. They have built into their business practice of realizing that they will get expired tanks. So, when they get them they either certify and reuse or trash. For most people getting a DOT tank recertified is a hassle, regardless of cost. And, ANY heavy rust on the tank will not allow it to be recertified. Doug

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
Hi guyz โ€ฆ. No โ€ฆ Iโ€™m looking at changing and/or adding permanent ATTACHED TO THE MOTOR HOME tank or tanks. Iโ€™ve found a brand new 29 gallon tank that I think could replace the one thatโ€™s attached to the underneath of the motor home now โ€ฆ. But Iโ€™d kind of like to get a larger one than that

I have 2 30 gal on my 5th wheel - they come out. I don't have a motorhome so not so sure how they are different - I would think 29 gal is not enough, get 2 or go bigger? I have a 300 gal at home.

As for the guys with all the comments about exchanging, buying new, etc. If you have an older tank, get it recertified. Easy, cheap, reliable. These tanks last forever if they aren't damaged. I have 2 places near by that fill tanks and recertify for about $6 each.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Home Depot and Walmart in Beaumont. Both $20.
What's the cost/gallon on a refill?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
4x4van wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
X2 But he might be in California with its high prices.
That's exactly where I'm at.:C
I checked them at the Mecca truck stop and a convenience store I can't remember where.. both $30.
Convenience stores are always going to be higher. Home Depot and Walmart in Beaumont. Both $20.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
I think it is a 5 lb. Nowhere does it mention 5 gal.
Ok. It must be much smaller than it looks.