Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Custer State Park. 175 site new camp proposal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Custer State Park. 175 site new camp proposal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/22 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2022/01/18/custer-state-park-south-dakota-governor-kristi-noem-plan-10-million-dollars-campsites/6513414001/

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice!
Here in NE Ohio, Southern Michigan, and Western PA we have an abundance of camping spots both state and local with about a thousand federal, but I know not everywhere is so blessed and you guys have to fight with all the tourists for spots so any additions are I'm sure welcome.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2022/01/18/custer-state-park-south-dakota-governor-kristi-noem-plan-10-million-dollars-campsites/6513414001/

I have to ask your professional opinion, are the private parks around there not booking full during the summer? I just assumed they were full. We almost never go to the Custer area in the summer because we couldn't get sites before the Covid rush without booking nearly a year in advance. It has to be worse now. Am I mistaken?

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/22 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First to answer you, we sold our park 2 years ago, are retired, our interest now is in equality and fairness.
Yes and no The private and public parks in the state have an inequal relationship. Its more than the free land, no property tax, subsidized utility amortized beyond possibility of bond recovery.
Read and think about the continual past bison blockades to and from this area, that would make even worse EMT services.
Custer County has an established &1.51 deficit/ PILT ( payment in liew of tax ) with CSP, for service to the park from the county taxpeyers.
Increased visitor overnight load would demand even more from our services. The only recourse we in Custer co. have to recapture the costs is sales tax, which the State park does not remit to.

hornet28

Muskegon Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/22 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many times I long for things/places to be as they used to be. Dirt paths instead of paved sidewalks, dirt/gravel rds. instead of 2-4 lanes of traffic. The powers that be for popular destinations just continue to destroy the beauty that made them popular

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear it is a state park and not a new private park, which we work very hard to avoid and reluctantly only utilize if there is no other choice in an area we want to visit.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is good news. One of the functions of Government is to provide what the private sector is unable or unwilling to provide. Thus far the private sectors answer to increase demand has been to raise prices and add resort to their name. Few private RV parks have expanded to meet the need.

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/22 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I partially agree with Hornet, expanded camping sites are vitally needed nationwide. Thank goodness for the WPA and CCC camps we do have.

β€œHe noted that campground capacity hasn't been expanded beyond the 341 sites and 50 cabins that are there now in 41 years, while annual visitations have grown to more than 2 million. In 2021 alone, 2.3 million people visited Custer State Park.”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/22 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

So many times I long for things/places to be as they used to be. Dirt paths instead of paved sidewalks, dirt/gravel rds. instead of 2-4 lanes of traffic. The powers that be for popular destinations just continue to destroy the beauty that made them popular

So these destinations should be made less available and less desirable to the public? Good grief...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/22 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the "private campground" owners are pissy because the state might get some more revenue from campers/tourists?
Can't blame them for trying to increase their income, but, again, it's just whining.

Y'all, myself included have seen the overcrowding, lack of availability and generally more traffic in the West and campgrounds in particular.
And we all complain about not enough camp spots, until someone actually decides to build some more camp spots (really a small drop in the bucket compared to the overall number of campsites public and private in the area).

Some people would complain if the got smacked with a bag full of money, even if they got to keep the money!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Custer State Park. 175 site new camp proposal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.