Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Benefits to 30amp to 50amp

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie RVer :C here!

Are there any benefits to plugging my 30amp (using an adapter of course) into a 50amp? When I have the option at campgrounds to plugging into either 30amp or 50amp I’ve been purposely plugging into 50amp with the belief it’s more stable.
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
13 REPLIES 13

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
When we had he 30A TT I always pluggged into the 30A outlet. Over the many years of doing this there were a handful of times the breaker would pop. Then I bought a 50-30 adapter and always plugged into the 50A outlet. After doing that I never had a low voltage issue.

I recommend always plugging into the 50 if it’s available.

Agreed. I've found this to be the case several times too. As Doug says, your internal 30 amp main breaker should protect you. At aging parks, the pedestal breakers/plugs get a little worn/soft and IMO, that causes the 30 amp pedestal breaker to trip prematurely. Plugging into the 50 amp breaker with an adapter solves this problem. Some RV parks have undie bunching issues when you do this so it's advisable to check first. As always, MAKE SURE YOUR EQUIPMENT IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER and not the cause of the problem.

Chum lee

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
The 50 amp receptacle needs to draw 50+ amps in order to trip, whereas the 30 amp receptacle needs 30+ amps to trip. The #10 wire in your cord isn't designed to handle 50 amps so isn't protected. This is why they put #6 wire in 50 amp cords. Hopefully you have a 30 amp main disconnect in the trailer to help protect the cord running from the trailer to the pedestal. Many times people run off the 50 because the 30 is doing its job and tripping at the pedestal.

I too, often do this because my surge/voltage protection device is heavy and won't stay in the pedestal socket. Make sure you inspect your umbilical cord; black around the prong bases mean you are running hot.

Breaker/s are not a factor. Your interior MAIN 30 amp breaker will trip from any overload from the RV system. I also recommend using a 30 amp to 50 amp male plug if you have 50 amp Campground plug. This keeps the 30 amp Shore Cord end from overheating and melting and destroying the pins of the 30 amp end of cord from slight overloads on a 30 amp CG breaker. WE run 50 to 30 adapters all the time in our RV shop and NEVER have had any problem as the 30 amp RV main breaker WILL trip if we overload the RV. Doug

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The 50 amp receptacle needs to draw 50+ amps in order to trip, whereas the 30 amp receptacle needs 30+ amps to trip. The #10 wire in your cord isn't designed to handle 50 amps so isn't protected. This is why they put #6 wire in 50 amp cords. Hopefully you have a 30 amp main disconnect in the trailer to help protect the cord running from the trailer to the pedestal. Many times people run off the 50 because the 30 is doing its job and tripping at the pedestal.

I too, often do this because my surge/voltage protection device is heavy and won't stay in the pedestal socket. Make sure you inspect your umbilical cord; black around the prong bases mean you are running hot.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
When we had he 30A TT I always pluggged into the 30A outlet. Over the many years of doing this there were a handful of times the breaker would pop. Then I bought a 50-30 adapter and always plugged into the 50A outlet. After doing that I never had a low voltage issue.

I recommend always plugging into the 50 if it’s available.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Obviously if the 30amp outlet is in bad shape or there is a big difference in voltage, it's probably safer to use a good condition 50amp outlet with adapter.

But if both appear to be in good shape, there is a minor issue in that the circuit won't be protected by a 30 amp breaker. If you limit yourself to the continuous 24amp rating (note 30amp is a peak load, you only get 80% for continuous), it should be fine but if you get silly and try drawing 35-40amps, you will be overloading parts of your electrical system but the breaker on the pedestal won't trip.

The 30A breaker in the RV provides the protection.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Obviously if the 30amp outlet is in bad shape or there is a big difference in voltage, it's probably safer to use a good condition 50amp outlet with adapter.

But if both appear to be in good shape, there is a minor issue in that the circuit won't be protected by a 30 amp breaker. If you limit yourself to the continuous 24amp rating (note 30amp is a peak load, you only get 80% for continuous), it should be fine but if you get silly and try drawing 35-40amps, you will be overloading parts of your electrical system but the breaker on the pedestal won't trip.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer, no. Many longer posts shown above but none of them will get you better service than a good working 30 amp plug.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on many things. If the 30 amp outlet is in top condition. And the box is a 20/30/50.. Likely no other than if you draw 32 amps you won't have to go outside in the rain to reset it (just reset the main indoors)

If the 30 amp outlet is not all that good. Then likely yes. and often the 30 amp is not all that good.

And in one case the TT-30 plug on the trailer was... Short bladed.. did not make contact with the outlet.. Grabbed my 30-50 and the poor RVer had power at last.. he later got his own adapter and returned mine.

A good idea is to be adaptable to anything.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Agree with rk911, the only real advantage is the 50a plug is usually in better shape. Another possible advantage would be if the 30a feed had a lower voltage level but you might not be able to get the other leg on the 50a with your adapter, so it would be a moot point

This /\ /\ /\
Same wires feed all the receptacles in a given pedestal.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Many times the 50 amp is less worn…tighter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I used to do it only because the 30A outlets were often worn out and loose.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with rk911, the only real advantage is the 50a plug is usually in better shape. Another possible advantage would be if the 30a feed had a lower voltage level but you might not be able to get the other leg on the 50a with your adapter, so it would be a moot point
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rookie_rv wrote:
Rookie RVer :C here!

Are there any benefits to plugging my 30amp (using an adapter of course) into a 50amp? When I have the option at campgrounds to plugging into either 30amp or 50amp I’ve been purposely plugging into 50amp with the belief it’s more stable.

not sure what you mean by 'stable'. when we had a 30-amp MH we would occasionally plug into the 50-amp hookup when/if the 30-amp receptacle had visible damage, was loose in the box, etc. IMO beyond that there is no practical difference. we have run into a small number of parks that forbid the practice of plugging into the 50-amp with an adapter. I'm sure there is a reason for that but I've never heard it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle