Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any Benefits to 30amp to 50amp
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Safety Issues & Recalls

> Any Benefits to 30amp to 50amp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had he 30A TT I always pluggged into the 30A outlet. Over the many years of doing this there were a handful of times the breaker would pop. Then I bought a 50-30 adapter and always plugged into the 50A outlet. After doing that I never had a low voltage issue.

I recommend always plugging into the 50 if it’s available.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/22 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 50 amp receptacle needs to draw 50+ amps in order to trip, whereas the 30 amp receptacle needs 30+ amps to trip. The #10 wire in your cord isn't designed to handle 50 amps so isn't protected. This is why they put #6 wire in 50 amp cords. Hopefully you have a 30 amp main disconnect in the trailer to help protect the cord running from the trailer to the pedestal. Many times people run off the 50 because the 30 is doing its job and tripping at the pedestal.

I too, often do this because my surge/voltage protection device is heavy and won't stay in the pedestal socket. Make sure you inspect your umbilical cord; black around the prong bases mean you are running hot.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/22 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

The 50 amp receptacle needs to draw 50+ amps in order to trip, whereas the 30 amp receptacle needs 30+ amps to trip. The #10 wire in your cord isn't designed to handle 50 amps so isn't protected. This is why they put #6 wire in 50 amp cords. Hopefully you have a 30 amp main disconnect in the trailer to help protect the cord running from the trailer to the pedestal. Many times people run off the 50 because the 30 is doing its job and tripping at the pedestal.

I too, often do this because my surge/voltage protection device is heavy and won't stay in the pedestal socket. Make sure you inspect your umbilical cord; black around the prong bases mean you are running hot.

Breaker/s are not a factor. Your interior MAIN 30 amp breaker will trip from any overload from the RV system. I also recommend using a 30 amp to 50 amp male plug if you have 50 amp Campground plug. This keeps the 30 amp Shore Cord end from overheating and melting and destroying the pins of the 30 amp end of cord from slight overloads on a 30 amp CG breaker. WE run 50 to 30 adapters all the time in our RV shop and NEVER have had any problem as the 30 amp RV main breaker WILL trip if we overload the RV. Doug

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/22 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

When we had he 30A TT I always pluggged into the 30A outlet. Over the many years of doing this there were a handful of times the breaker would pop. Then I bought a 50-30 adapter and always plugged into the 50A outlet. After doing that I never had a low voltage issue.

I recommend always plugging into the 50 if it’s available.

Agreed. I've found this to be the case several times too. As Doug says, your internal 30 amp main breaker should protect you. At aging parks, the pedestal breakers/plugs get a little worn/soft and IMO, that causes the 30 amp pedestal breaker to trip prematurely. Plugging into the 50 amp breaker with an adapter solves this problem. Some RV parks have undie bunching issues when you do this so it's advisable to check first. As always, MAKE SURE YOUR EQUIPMENT IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER and not the cause of the problem.

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Safety Issues & Recalls

> Any Benefits to 30amp to 50amp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.