cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Roof Damage (water leak???)

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I need some help and advice. This is a bit of a "different" situation and not a function of failing to maintain caulk on my roof and appeard to be an issue with the roof itself.

I have a 2018 Open Range 5th wheel with PVC roof. This roof has a 10 year warranty.

I recently climbed on top to inspect and to re-caulk where needed. I recently had this done at the dealer as well in April.

I noticed a spot where the PVC roof covering was "bubbled up" and when I felt it, it felt soft. It appeared that air had gotten in and caused the "air bubble" effect. I noticed a very small spot where the roof appeared to be damaged...not sure if it was a cut or a defect in the roofing material, but there was a small perforation. I would estimate it to be about the size of a "comma" on your computer key board. It was very small. I sealed it with caulk about 3 weeks ago.

I went up again today and examined the spot and the wood material under the roofing is definitely soft and feels like I can crush it....not good. I assume this means water got in and it is now rotting.

I am a bit baffled and very irritated over how the perforation got there, how such a small perforation could cause what appears to be water damage, and what to do about it.

Looking for thoughts before I call the insurance company. I don't feel this is an issue of negligence on my part. All of the caulk is intact. The roofing material should not have physical damage nor a defect that would cause this. Additionally, the shape of the perforation was kind of odd....like a comma. Not what I would expect from a cut unless it was caused by a rock or something hitting the top while at highway speed (since it was not evenly shaped).

It appears to be either a function of physical damage, or of a defect in the roofing material....not sure which, but I don't believe either are a function of lack of maintenance. And like I said I just had it at the dealer in the spring and they inspected the roof.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

Matt
8 REPLIES 8

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me, I'd cut a squarish shape on three sides that extended far enough to allow me to cut out and replace the damaged wood, then glue and lay the roof flap down and tape the edges with Eternabond.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
So what should I do now? It did occur to me that sealing it might seal in moisture, but fixing it seemed like the thing to do, much like fixing any cracked caulking.

I believe that the damage could be covered by insurance since it is likely the result of some sort of impact or whatever.

But what can even be done to fix this? Or what do you do in this situation? I assume that the moisture must be dried out, but I am not putting another hole in the roofing before an adjuster looks at it. But what then? Do you just re-seal it and deal with the roof damage? Do they rip it open and replace the damaged material? Can the damage continue to spread or is it contained once dry?

thanks
Matt

Well if you have a real soft spot under that hole, it has been there for a while. We had a similar experience, except we full time. My guess is our puncture had been there maybe three months, we found it in the fall. I was sitting in our recliner when a drop of water hit my arm. Investigation found a small puncture in our rubber roof. I quickly cleaned and dried the spot, (DW Hair Dryer), then sealed with some self-leveling caulk. No issues with a soft spot, as we heat, and by luck it was at a joint of wafer board and had a somewhat direct path to my arm.
This last summer I used Heng's sealant on the entire roof and the spot was still in great shape.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that your insurance will cover this as they would want to what occurance took place. You can't tell them what happened, when, and where.

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
So what should I do now? It did occur to me that sealing it might seal in moisture, but fixing it seemed like the thing to do, much like fixing any cracked caulking.

I believe that the damage could be covered by insurance since it is likely the result of some sort of impact or whatever.

But what can even be done to fix this? Or what do you do in this situation? I assume that the moisture must be dried out, but I am not putting another hole in the roofing before an adjuster looks at it. But what then? Do you just re-seal it and deal with the roof damage? Do they rip it open and replace the damaged material? Can the damage continue to spread or is it contained once dry?

thanks
Matt

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My current 5th wheel is 13 years old wouldn't be worth the cost as we plan to replace it soon. When I get the new one I will be getting a flexarmor roof put on it. There is a place in York PA that does it. They are called Double Deuces Rv Roofing. You would never have to worry about your roof again.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
That roof material is very thin. I've had a small branch fall just the right way and tear the rubber (or whatever fancy word they are using for it now). Any time I see limbs or branches on or laying near the camper I climb up and have a look. FYI it's actually easier to see where the limb hit if the roof is dirty. Look for the clean spot.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You sealed all the moisture in. No where for it to escape, causing more damage, sorry to say. Manufacture can say you tore the roof somehow, causing the damage.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I had a tear like that when I snagged a low hanging branch.