cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM battery

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I heard that a AGM battery is not recommend for 2017 Ford F350 because the alternator will charge them wrong and it short the life of the battery.Anybody know that?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Whatโ€™s paying for shipping? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Another AGM advantage.... can be easily shipped to you.

Not really an advantage when traditional sealed lead-acid batteries are available in pretty much every city, village or town in the country...so they don't need to be shipped.

Since it's not an advantage to YOU, it musn't be an advantage to anyone??

Explain the advantage of waiting a few days and paying for shipping vs having the battery in hand within 15min.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski
Time2roll

No I could NOT have it shipped. As not only was parts place I was at out, disributo and manufacture was out.
If your sitting on the side of the road, in my driveway with a dead battery, are you willing to wait upwards of 7 typical,nim on 2 weeks waiting for FedEx to deliver me a non hazmat item from across the country.....

Shipping right now for many items is not what it was 18-24 months ago.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
Last fall buying a battery for my 1500, the lead bats had a upwards of double warranty lifetime, more cranking amps, both maintenance free......no AGM s in stock. Simple choice in my book. I was thinking about AGMs for some of the reasons I mentioned

Marty
Could have had it shipped

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Not really an advantage when traditional sealed lead-acid batteries are available in pretty much every city, village or town in the country...so they don't need to be shipped.

Since it's not an advantage to YOU, it musn't be an advantage to anyone??

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

blt2ski
Gel+easier than AGM) and lithium(easiest) are shippable too.
All four battery types need haz mat markings. Lead you pay thru the nose with FedEx. Lithium if need be can go air. Other three can't.

At least per MY options at work!

Marty

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:

So can SLA, sealed lead acid. IE maint free FLA batteries.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

blt2ski
The only people that would truly get any advantage with an AGM vs typical lead starting battery, would be those that operate with items needing a large battery draw. Such as snow plows, winches, night time off road lights, having an inverter installed for 110 use.... Being as AGMs can generally speaking handle more than 5-6 total discharges like a lead starting battery. Your chances of buying batteries prematurely lesson.
Like ALL things great and small, when we have more than one option, there are pluses and minuses to all the options. So depending upon the individual plus/minus, how they fit your individual needs, one can come up with a which is better.
Last fall buying a battery for my 1500, the lead bats had a upwards of double warranty lifetime, more cranking amps, both maintenance free......no AGM s in stock. Simple choice in my book. I was thinking about AGMs for some of the reasons I mentioned

Marty

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
JKJavelin wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
The real question is why bother for a starting battery.

The main advantage of AMG is they don't spill if you roll them over. Great on a boat or a stunt plane...not so much for a starting battery.

I would say the biggest reason is that they are maintenance free. A lot of people these days don't even know how to open the hood.
JK

I haven't seen a car/truck with a starting battery that requires adding water in decades.

Your average traditional lead-acid starting battery is already maintenance free and it's common to get 5-10yrs out of a starting battery.

So what exactly other than a significantly higher purchase price are you getting with an AGM?

PS: Deep cycle house batteries often do require topping up the water.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
For superior cranking amps and slight advantage on voltage, additional freeze resistance, faster charging, zero maintenance AGM is a great choice at a premium price.

That premium price isnโ€™t as bad as it used to be either. I bought an AGM at Sams Club a year ago and it was only $60-70 more than the lead acid battery for our Suburban. Seems to perform as good as the ร“ptimas I used to buy.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
FLA batteries are the dinosaurs of the battery world! AGM and Gel batteries are the new and better batteries. No doubt LiFPo batteries are now the new way to go, but these for sure need the proper charging voltage, which is why you need a DC to DC converter to use them in the RV world so you donโ€™t destroy them. Iโ€™m just starting to learn about them. But at $800-$900 each it will be along time before I consider one for my type of use.

When the MH house batteries are due Iโ€™ll be going with AGMs.

I switched my 5er to group 31 AGMs when it was really new. I have 4 years of use on them and I look at them a couple times a year to make sure they are still there. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FLA batteries are the dinosaurs of the battery world! AGM and Gel batteries are the new and better batteries. No doubt LiFPo batteries are now the new way to go, but these for sure need the proper charging voltage, which is why you need a DC to DC converter to use them in the RV world so you donโ€™t destroy them. Iโ€™m just starting to learn about them. But at $800-$900 each it will be along time before I consider one for my type of use.

When the MH house batteries are due Iโ€™ll be going with AGMs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!