Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Furrion Instant Hot Water in Cold Weather
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Furrion Instant Hot Water in Cold Weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/22 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

My buddy bought a big GD trailer at the end of last season so hasn't been able to camp in it yet. It has the Furion tankless WH so next season will be interesting.
The trailer itself has less than stellar build quality and engineering. It has two leaks (so far), large holes in the bottom corners of the three slides (in or out) and common things missing like a porch light. Every time he shuts the door the whole side of the trailer jiggles and he's having a heck of a time getting GD to send him the missing bits and pieces he found during the PDI. Factory and dealer (Halterman RV) support is dismal. There are numerous shortcuts they took building this rig. - stuff you don't notice until you get it home.
This co. is not what it used to be and I would seriously reconsider before buying this brand.
Hmm, your Buddy's experience is perplexing and contrary to ours. We spent 4 months camping in a 2021 GD Imagine 30 and it was one of the best built TT's we have ever had. Odd....

That was another surprise; The difference between a 2021 and 2022 model was like night and day. Lots of cost-cutting changes. You would not think they were made by the same co.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/22 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Tankless water heaters by design have a limited amount of time to warm water. the heating unit only hold a quart or so of water, so water passing through it is only in the heating coils for about 20 seconds for a faucet discharging less than a gallon a minute. Usually they warm the water about 50 degrees by design at their designed flow rate.
If the incoming water is 70 degrees, then it heats to 120 which is fine, but if the incoming water is 40, then the warmed water only has time to reach 90, which is lukewarm at best.

Another issue is water pressure.
If you read the literature on home tankless, they will say not to have water pressure above a certain limit as it pushes the water through too fast to get hot. They want a pressure reducer installed.
Tankless sounds nice, but I would not buy one if I was going to be in cold weather.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/22 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like there ought to be some way of installing a small electric heating element near the area that's prone to freezing - which would at least help when you had AC hookups.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/22 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane,

I replaced the cold air return grill with a twin window fan. It pressurizes the heat ducts enough to prevent freezing for me. It draws 27 watts on high. I have it connected to a manual thermostat.

Before the fan I had used a 1500 watt heater inside the cabinets. It was not enough to prevent plumbing freeze ups.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltafiredog55s3

Rio Vista, Nor Cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5er has a Girard tankless water heater which has an adjustable temp control which allows water temps up to 131* and a built-in thermostat that starts the burner whenever the heat exchanger falls below 38* and heats to 58*. This works as this past Dec. we camped with overnite temps to 9* with no problems. Suggest the op's friend check his wh docs to see if his is so equipped.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/22 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Tankless water heaters by design have a limited amount of time to warm water. the heating unit only hold a quart or so of water, so water passing through it is only in the heating coils for about 20 seconds for a faucet discharging less than a gallon a minute. Usually they warm the water about 50 degrees by design at their designed flow rate.
If the incoming water is 70 degrees, then it heats to 120 which is fine, but if the incoming water is 40, then the warmed water only has time to reach 90, which is lukewarm at best.

I'm betting this is the main reason. They don't want to field calls claiming the water heater isn't working right.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltafiredog55s3 wrote:

My 5er has a Girard tankless water heater which has an adjustable temp control which allows water temps up to 131* and a built-in thermostat that starts the burner whenever the heat exchanger falls below 38* and heats to 58*.

Witt no water flow, that must be a really short burner run-time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Furrion Instant Hot Water in Cold Weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.