cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Icemaker quit --- any ideas ?

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ice maker on our Maytag French door refer ( model MFI2269VEM10) just quit... was working good for the past couple months we've been traveling. Water dispenser in door works fine. Switch is on, arm is down.... guessing there is a solenoid or relay somewhere that's not working. Any experience in troubleshooting this ? Maytag website is not very useful, just high level suggestions. Thanks !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, on second thought I have a Samsung in the stick house that has french doors and the ice dispenser in the frig compartment. It has quit three times. Problem has always been a freeze up. I got the fix down to a science now. Pull the cube drawer/catcher and use the DW hair drier on the innerds until all ice in the mechanism is thawed. Turn the power back on and it is good to go for a year or so. ๐Ÿ˜‰

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Could just be froze up, literally.

But yeah โ€œrip it outโ€, lol.
PS that was a joke. Maybe a solution for some, but a working ice maker IN your freezer sounds preferable to another encumbrance on the counter.

I have had the water supply line (The fill line) freeze yes.

In my RV however said line split.. Well I had no clue as to how hard it would be to replace so I "Ripped" the ice maker out (Well removed it carefully in case I ever wanted to replace it) I got a lot more space in the freezer (nice) and thanks to a countertop ice maker a lot more ice as well

Plus the ice maker is a major source of moisture in the freezer compartment so defrosting was reduced. A win-win-win when I pulled it.

The ice maker in the French Door refer is in the refrigerator compartment, not the freezer. Anyway, I found a PD guide and the icemaker is toast.... will order a new one when we get home
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

PS that was a joke. Maybe a solution for some, but a working ice maker IN your freezer sounds preferable to another encumbrance on the counter.

I have had the water supply line (The fill line) freeze yes.

In my RV however said line split.. Well I had no clue as to how hard it would be to replace so I "Ripped" the ice maker out (Well removed it carefully in case I ever wanted to replace it) I got a lot more space in the freezer (nice) and thanks to a countertop ice maker a lot more ice as well

Plus the ice maker is a major source of moisture in the freezer compartment so defrosting was reduced. A win-win-win when I pulled it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine out of the one at home to get more freezer space. For ice I freeze water in either a Ziploc bag or glad of Ziploc food storage container and break it up or use small cube or water bottle ice trays.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the solenoid. check the tube from there to inside.

Rip the thing out and get a countertop ice maker machine (what I did) take advantage of the added freezer space and longer time between Defrost on the Fridge.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, throw a new one at it and go from there.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Time to replace.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Icemaker probably went bad. Solenoid is usually at back of fridge where water connects. You can get a replacement icemaker on Amazon for usually around $40.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie