Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing with gm 6.6 gas

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Well, just info please.
just real experience please.
Anyone towing with GM 6.6 gas, 3:73 or 3:42?
How do you like it? performance with and without trailer?
maybe change for me, I have 14k fifth wheel, I'm not going diesel.
thanks
24 REPLIES 24

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Some older data that doesnโ€™t directly apply, but I pulled a 9k TT with a 2002 8.1gasser for several years. It never bypassed a gas station, I got ~7mpg towing. Pulled fine on flats, and OK on small hills; got stuck slowing down on a pass for a trucker and could never climb back above ~15mph while the engine screamed all the way up the mountain out west.

Replaced it with a Duramax in 2013 and you canโ€™t wipe the smile off my face as I pull our 16k 5er now with ease across the Rockies or wherever I want to go. Get 10-11mpg and even pass gasโ€™s stations now. Havenโ€™t seen any comments on the exhaust brake on dieselโ€™s, thatโ€™s worth the price of admission by itself in my opinion.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Gas HD towing any kind of heavy-ish high profile trailer is going to be single digits unless you only tow downhill with a tailwind.

IdaD, I don't want to sound sarcastic, but i get single digits towing downhill with a tailwind anyway!!! and most of the time I get headwind even downhill. so UGH on that, Thanks though

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Gas HD towing any kind of heavy-ish high profile trailer is going to be single digits unless you only tow downhill with a tailwind.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2500HD with the 6.6 gas. We haven't done a whole lot of towing yet but we have done a trip from northern Illinois to central Kentucky last spring and a few trips to different places in Wisconsin. Trailer is roughly 7500# and at 62mph on the highways we are getting 8.5mpg on avg. i"m very happy with that considering that's what I was getting with my Tundra.
Always looking for the perfect site.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Some stats -
I drove 16324 miles, Avg 13.0 mpg.
459.1 total hours, 79.6 idle.
1308 gooseneck towing miles, 8.2 mpg
Brake pad life - 96% F, 97% R
203 travel trailer miles, 8.2 mpg
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok , that was rude of me, apologies. I was responding to anothers post. I did also state that my camper was way significantly lighter then the ops and the op would have vastly different results. Thats why I put my tow weights into the response.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sjm9911 wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
I have a 2022 6.6 gas, 3500 CC, SRW. As stated above, it only comes with the 3.73 gears, no 4.10. I was a little worried about this, but I am please with performance.
I do not tow a heavy trailer. To date, I have towed a 7.5k travel trailer and it towed beautifully. The "tow" mode keeps the transmission from hunting and it is very quiet. Gas mileage is 14 mpg, compared to 10.5 for the 6.0
The new truck is significantly quieter than my 2019 3500 with the 6.0.
If you have specific questions, send me a PM
Bill

yeah but what is the mileage difference when towing.

On my TT thats a bit lighter then his 7.5k camper I get 12 to 13 mpg. Not much difference loaded or unloaded for me. For you and a way larger camper, it will be much diffrent. I think my TT is around 6k/6.5k lbs loaded.

Well the OP is looking at towing about twice the weight and about 4โ€™ taller trailer than you two, apples to oranges.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^12-13mpg avg towing a TT sounds pretty optimistic, what avg speed towing?

Im not getting into it with you dog. I posted last time the shots of the 14 mpg I normally get driving on the last thread. 65 mph. And its not optimistic, its real. I have had the truck and camper together since early 2020. Did about 4500 miles towing last year. Probably the same the year before. My 3012 sierra 1500 I got 8 to 9 mpg. Its not a heavy camper. Tbh, it handles way better with the weight behind it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^12-13mpg avg towing a TT sounds pretty optimistic, what avg speed towing?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
I have a 2022 6.6 gas, 3500 CC, SRW. As stated above, it only comes with the 3.73 gears, no 4.10. I was a little worried about this, but I am please with performance.
I do not tow a heavy trailer. To date, I have towed a 7.5k travel trailer and it towed beautifully. The "tow" mode keeps the transmission from hunting and it is very quiet. Gas mileage is 14 mpg, compared to 10.5 for the 6.0
Bill

On my TT thats a bit lighter then his 7.5k camper I get 12 to 13 mpg. Not much difference loaded or unloaded for me. For you and a way larger camper, it will be much diffrent. I think my TT is around 6k/6.5k lbs loaded.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2020 Silverado reg cab dually. It was one of the first with the 6.6 gas. I had it for 14 months, and towed gooseneck trailers with 14 hay round bales, and my travel trailer. It towed wonderfully in Michigan. I never had a chance to tow anything out of Michigan.

I did have one point when towing the 15k hay trailer, that was uphill from a traffic stop. And I had the stop each time. The truck did great.

I have towed the same with the new Duramax, and yes, it is better. I had no issues with the gas engine.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fishbreath wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^You mean 14mpg empty, right?

Of Course!

Haha, I presumed that as well. But youโ€™ve seen some of the โ€œmileage mastersโ€ post their other-worldly fuel mileages before Iโ€™m sure.
To be fair, the 6.6 should be and seems to be on par with the other mfgs offerings. The 5th gen LT engines have been around for a while and should be solid if GM is advancing that engine line into an application that will be in much greater numbers than current offerings in the Vette (and Camaro?).
That said, I wouldnโ€™t buy one if I was in the market for a HD gasser as GM is shorting the customers on advancements and technology compared to the other 2 mfgs, by cost cutting and slapping a 15+ year old transmission behind it. Thatโ€™s a move usually reserved for the bean counters over at Dodge/Ram. Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Fishbreath wrote:
Bill

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^You mean 14mpg empty, right?

Of Course!