Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Fleetwood Mallard 29s water heater question

Usemorenukes
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone ,

I’ve got a 00 Mallard 29s with the factory dometic gas / electric water heater . Since we purchased it we’ve only been able to get the electric element to heat , no the gas portion of the water heater .

Before I start testing parts (the camper is 2 hours from us ) , with this model , is there any way to select which mode the hot water heater is in? The water heater switch is a basic rocker switch from the factory , but I don’t see a way to choose the mode.

Does it default to gas first if it’s working , then fall back to electric if not ?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Dang.. I thought they got rid of those manual pilot light appliances back in the 80's... My 2003 Prowler had a Suburban electronic spark heater...

My 2003 Coachmen Spirit of America TT still had a manual pilot light water heater. It was a pain to light in windy weather.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
photo link
That is a DSI water heater
You need to follow the 12 volts from switch to circuit board.
Start by checking ECO and thermostat for continuity. Use ohm meter between the two red wires and then the two brown wires.
Behind the shrink tubing on the brown wires is a thermal fuse. check it for continuity and loose connections.
It sure could use a good cleaning!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Usemorenukes
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I took a look at the water heater and I don’t see any knobs or switches for a pilot light. This is a picture of what I’ve got .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VG53ro-mBC0fYHjcNwT2AW8NZvlJJ7lu/view?usp=drivesdk

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dang.. I thought they got rid of those manual pilot light appliances back in the 80's... As a kid, we had a 1977 Taurus and it manual pilot lights for the fridge and the WH. (no electric option on the WH).

I guess they still made them later on.. My 2003 Prowler had a Suburban electronic spark heater..

Anyway, here is a video link on how to light those manual pilot light WH..

https://youtu.be/rfJHEHlTsXI

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Usemorenukes
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it’s just a single switch. I looked up other 2000 Mallards for sale and it seems they are all this way. I assumed it was an auto ignition system but from what you’re saying it isn’t and that would make sense . I’ll try to manually light the pilot and see if that works.

PHM4LR
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have two switches (gas/elect) It is very possible that it is a manual/standing pilot light model. The 2000 Mallard that we had was that way. You had to light the pilot for the gas portion to work (no auto ignition).

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Mitch is correct...2 switches.
An issue I've ran into twice over the years is paper wasps.
They love taking up residence in the gas orifices which prevents ignition.
A possible culprit if you've located the switch and still no flame.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should have 2 switches on the panel for the water heater. One for gas and one for electric. You can actually run both at the same time if you wish.. That will allow the tank to recover quicker than just on one or the other..

Since the electric part works, that's only when hooked up to 120v, you have the secondary switch turned on. That's located in the WH housing when you open the outside access to it.

From there, you should see the gas hookup. Make sure it's all clear of debris and all.

But, you should still have a second switch inside to turn just the gas function on...

Mine is a newer model, but I don't think they have really changed in the last 30 or so years...

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Usemorenukes
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about that . I was trying to recall from memory . You are right , it’s an Atwood GC6AA-9E

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should have either a Suburban or Atwood water heater.
Please locate exact make and model. There should be a label on the frame inside outside access.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker