cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Chromebook: very basic question

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been a Mac user, but I just bought a Chromebook for RV travel. I'm getting the hang of it, but I have a few basic questions.

When I turn it on, it wants me to enter my (complicated) Google password. I would like to turn that off (which I can on my Macs), since it will be used in the RV and there are no kids, relatives, co-workers, etc., to look at my (boring) emails.

Another question: can the Chrome browser have more than one window open? (I don't see menus -- "file", "edit", "view",... -- that I am accustomed to when I use Chrome on my Mac.)
12 REPLIES 12

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
he's gone
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Chromebooks if you turn on bluetooth can "pair" with my phone. and then so long as the PHONE (Mine is an android. this might matter) is not locked I simply tap the profile picture.

Yes you can open multiple Chrome windows. Chromebook to my right has 3 open as i talk. far right has 2. This windows box.. Just one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
One more thing to add, do not worry so much about just closing the lid, Chromebooks have very good battery life.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyF wrote:
I've always been a Mac user, but I just bought a Chromebook for RV travel. I'm getting the hang of it, but I have a few basic questions.

When I turn it on, it wants me to enter my (complicated) Google password. I would like to turn that off (which I can on my Macs), since it will be used in the RV and there are no kids, relatives, co-workers, etc., to look at my (boring) emails.

Another question: can the Chrome browser have more than one window open? (I don't see menus -- "file", "edit", "view",... -- that I am accustomed to when I use Chrome on my Mac.)

If you just close the lid, you do not have to log back in. You might have to adjust the settings to do this. Go to the lower right of your screen and click on the time. Then click on the gear at the top part of the menu that pops up, then it will be under Device, then Power.

This will work fine for short time use, but obviously will not work if it sits for long periods of time.

You do not usually need to have more than one "window" open, it is all done with the tabs. The other menus aren't there, and usually not needed. Remember to right click if there is something you are trying to do that you would have used those menus. Many things are automatically backed up as you work. I don't remember if using word processing or spreadsheets automatically back up when you are using them offline. I haven't done that in quite s while.

Now I have to get off my Chromebook and go do some things on a clunky Windows machine. There are some things the Chromebooks can't do, like run Windows or Mac programs.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
Btw, CTRL-ALT-/ brindgs up a new window with keyboard shortcuts. Very handy, especially if you're not using a mouse.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dunno about the Chrome book device, but my Google Chrome web browser on a Windows 10 computer if you right click on the open tab, you can select "move tab to new window" and then you will have that in it's own window.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
A google search using Chromebook without a password should give you some guidance.

Regarding windows and tabs; the top right of the browser window should have three verical dots. Clicking that will give you options of new tab, new window, etc.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
A PIN is a number, probably no more than 6 digits.
Ok, but the question was about a password. Am I missing something here?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
stallsmi wrote:
To set up a PIN
Isn't he asking about getting rid of it?

A PIN is a number, probably no more than 6 digits.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
stallsmi wrote:
To set up a PIN
Isn't he asking about getting rid of it?

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
To set up a PIN:
On your Chromebook, at the bottom right, select the time.
Select Settings .
Under "Security and Privacy," select Lock screen and sign-in.
Enter your password and select Confirm.
Select PIN or password Set up PIN.
Enter a PIN of six digits or more and select Continue.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried turning off the password but never figured out how. If it ever got stolen you might be thankful for a password.

The Chrome browser can have several 'tabs' open, but not separate windows(that I'm aware of).

I don't have any File, Edit.. menus, just bookmarks. Those menus would be present in other applications, like Notepad.