Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hey F550 5500 flatbed camper or custom bed owners:
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hey F550 5500 flatbed camper or custom bed owners:

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Stable Camper has stake pockets offset mounts if you need your turnbuckles farther outboard. They also do a custom top box for CM Beds. I went with a standard flatbed and off the shelf enclosed boxes in stock sizes for my setup.

Yes, I've seen them. Tempting for price, but taller profile than a custom bed and not as much storage. Still considering them though.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie wrote:

You can use a horizontal pin connection or fastguns. The pins would require very accurate alignment. I stuck with fastguns but made custom tie-down brackets, powder coated them and utilized the existing bolt patterns.
Look through their gallery and identify how many use Fastguns. Let me know and I can send you pics

Pin connections would concern me about ripping the anchors out of the camper side. Are they rubber cushioned on the truck side? Or just a bolt through lockup?

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

Things I wish I'd done different? Hmmm... wish I'd jumped on it right away. Truck sat in the shop for a year plus 'cause we didn't have time.

Fastguns for tie downs. Last three flatbeds, same system. No reason to change, lot's of reasons to not change.

Flatbed build thread

That's a great build. You have skills and tools that I do not.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I wish my fuel fill neck wasn't mounted in the side rail. You have to fill ever so slowly or it spews out all over your shoes. My pocket utility knife has a taper I slide in the squeeze handle to run so slow that everyone thinks its a hundred gallon tank. It's a pain. Better to have the fill neck angled more upward thru a side saddle tool box or some other way.

A company truck I drove once and a while had that issue. I would pull up on a block at fuel pump.
About the shoes. After decades of pumping diesel I learned to keep a squeeze bottle of baby powder in with my fueling gloves. Splash on clothes? Cover with powder, then brush off. Keeps you from spreading in the cab, and smells better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hey F550 5500 flatbed camper or custom bed owners:
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.