cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need the ground lug to connect my new converter charger

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
After much deliberation I finally bought a new 3 stage charge converter for my trailer. Original post

It took a while to decide, but I finally settled on a deck mount Powermax PM3-45LK 45 amp converter charger. Powermax

Now for my question that hopefully someone can shed some light on. The unit has a positive and negative attachment point for the batteries. There is also a grounding lug that I am supposed to run to the trailer frame. Can I run the unit without the grounding lug attached? Since it has a standard 3 blade 120v plug I was curious if I can use the unit sitting on the floor of my garage to charge the batteries out of the trailer? My initial thought is yes I can. But in the back of my mind I seem to remember a post about the importance of running a separate ground wire from the grounding lug to the frame and not just connecting the two grounds together at the battery. Do I remember that right or did I imagine it?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
13 REPLIES 13

deltafiredog55s
Explorer
Explorer
In regards to BFL13, yes the battery disconnect should be on the positive conductor for just that reason so you don't have any 12 volt circuits energized.

deltafiredog55s
Explorer
Explorer
According to NEC 551-4(c) bonding voltage converter enclosures, the noncurrent-carrying metal enclosure ... shall be bonded to the frame of the vehicle with a No. 8 AWG copper conductor minimum or equivalent. It further states the grounding conductor for the battery and the metal enclosure may be the same conductor. There are many other sections re: low voltage and battery grounds but the only low voltage items that can use the vehicle chassis as a ground return path are the vehicle's exterior lights ie: stop, turn, tail, markers. Any other low voltage circuits must return to the distribution panel's neg. bus.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why was this a question in the first place?

If you do not understand the purpose of each of the leads on the unit, maybe time to let someone qualified hook it up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any way you can get a shock from the chassis if it is not grounded?

You can use the deck mount as a power supply with the neg DC output going to the neg DC input of whatever is being powered. That thing being powered not being a battery that is "neg grounded". EG an inverter.

The chassis ground lug on the outside is where on the inside the green ground wire of the 120v input goes while the white and black go to the board (the black has a glass fuse there)

The RV is one giant "multiple grounds" collection, so that can't be a no-no. EG:

There was a note years back about using a deck mount instead of the "lower portion" (converter part) of a power centre. It said the lower portion in its metal case is touching the metal case of the power centre, which in turn is grounded to the RV frame via the bare copper wire of the 120v shore cord input that has its black to the Main breaker and white to the N buss. The note said the deck mount would not be touching, so it needed its own chassis ground. I don't know why it would need that.

In that case the lower portion converter 120v input did not have a green wire, just the white and black (eg 7300 converter) The DC fuse panel has 12v negs that also go to the frame eventually. You can put your meter on a pos lug and the neg lug and see 12v or you can put the neg lead on the metal power centre metal chassis instead of the DC panel neg lug and still see the 12v

The RV frame shares being the "ground" for 120v and 12v and there can be complications with some inverters which have GFCI outlets. You can get things from the 12v side tripping the inverter's 120v GFCI doing whole house with shore cord into the inverter.

In the 5er when I had the battery disconnect switch on the neg path near the battery, I still had 12v to the RV. There was a neg path via the inverter internals and its chassis ground that by-passed the battery switch. The shore cord was plugged into the inverter and that is how the 12v got back to the frame and so to the 12v neg so the lights and fans still worked. (Should have stuck with using a disconnect on the pos path in that case)

So multiple "grounds" are how RVs work (or don't work if something is wrong)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The chassis ground would only be for a permanent installation. Not needed for portable use.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks, you all just reinforced my thoughts. So for now yes it will be additionally grounded when in the trailer. But when it's sitting on the garage floor charging batteries it will only be grounded through the negative to the battery. The additional ground lug will be ignored.

I did send a question to the Powermax people with the same question. I'm curious what kind of response I'll get.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I presume wa8yxm is referring to a ground loop situation. But I agree that since the ground lug is there use it in the RV. Besides if you mount it on a metal frame member... Wait - 3rd ground?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well.. You should likely ground it. But my personal opinion... Don't matter it's grounded already via othere leads and multiple grounds is NOT a good idea where I sit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Theoretically the negative to the battery & a direct to frame from the ground lug are the same.

There is nothing wrong with redundancy. There must be something nearby that the ground can be run to. My theory is that if the ground was not needed the lug on the charger would not be there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't bother with the "chassis ground" with my deck mount converters.

My Vector inverter user's manual says its chassis ground is to reduce radio and tv interference, but I don't know if that is what it is for on a converter.

Might as well add this photo of when I used the chassis ground as an anchor for a strain relief where I was having trouble with heavy cables with silky strands staying in the set screw terminals. That was on a 100 amp PowerMax. Never know--somebody might find that method useful.

The don't mix grounds thing also came from the inverter world where you must not bring the chassis ground around to the neg input. Instead the chassis ground goes to the frame independently.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure the garage grounding rod is copper and be prepared to fall over and faint when you see the price. :B

OK Couldn't resist. Not sure why the ground lug for the trailer is needed since the plugs ground wire is also bounded to the frame, but perhaps some electrical standard safety practice. Perhaps the lug could also be for suppression of some electrical emissions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be a ground bus around someplace to connect the converter chassis ground

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
You have to drill a hole in your garage floor and drive an 8-foot grounding rod down into the ground.

Just kidding, you will be fine without the extra ground wire.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.