Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do I need the ground lug to connect my new converter charger
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I need the ground lug to connect my new converter charger

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/22 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After much deliberation I finally bought a new 3 stage charge converter for my trailer. Original post

It took a while to decide, but I finally settled on a deck mount Powermax PM3-45LK 45 amp converter charger. Powermax

Now for my question that hopefully someone can shed some light on. The unit has a positive and negative attachment point for the batteries. There is also a grounding lug that I am supposed to run to the trailer frame. Can I run the unit without the grounding lug attached? Since it has a standard 3 blade 120v plug I was curious if I can use the unit sitting on the floor of my garage to charge the batteries out of the trailer? My initial thought is yes I can. But in the back of my mind I seem to remember a post about the importance of running a separate ground wire from the grounding lug to the frame and not just connecting the two grounds together at the battery. Do I remember that right or did I imagine it?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/22 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to drill a hole in your garage floor and drive an 8-foot grounding rod down into the ground.

Just kidding, you will be fine without the extra ground wire.

2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/22 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There should be a ground bus around someplace to connect the converter chassis ground

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/22 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure the garage grounding rod is copper and be prepared to fall over and faint when you see the price. [emoticon]

OK Couldn't resist. Not sure why the ground lug for the trailer is needed since the plugs ground wire is also bounded to the frame, but perhaps some electrical standard safety practice. Perhaps the lug could also be for suppression of some electrical emissions.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/22 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't bother with the "chassis ground" with my deck mount converters.

My Vector inverter user's manual says its chassis ground is to reduce radio and tv interference, but I don't know if that is what it is for on a converter.

Might as well add this photo of when I used the chassis ground as an anchor for a strain relief where I was having trouble with heavy cables with silky strands staying in the set screw terminals. That was on a 100 amp PowerMax. Never know--somebody might find that method useful.

">][image]

The don't mix grounds thing also came from the inverter world where you must not bring the chassis ground around to the neg input. Instead the chassis ground goes to the frame independently.

* This post was edited 01/22/22 04:45pm by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/22 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Theoretically the negative to the battery & a direct to frame from the ground lug are the same.

There is nothing wrong with redundancy. There must be something nearby that the ground can be run to. My theory is that if the ground was not needed the lug on the charger would not be there.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/22 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.. You should likely ground it. But my personal opinion... Don't matter it's grounded already via othere leads and multiple grounds is NOT a good idea where I sit.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I presume wa8yxm is referring to a ground loop situation. But I agree that since the ground lug is there use it in the RV. Besides if you mount it on a metal frame member... Wait - 3rd ground?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/22 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, you all just reinforced my thoughts. So for now yes it will be additionally grounded when in the trailer. But when it's sitting on the garage floor charging batteries it will only be grounded through the negative to the battery. The additional ground lug will be ignored.

I did send a question to the Powermax people with the same question. I'm curious what kind of response I'll get.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/22 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The chassis ground would only be for a permanent installation. Not needed for portable use.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I need the ground lug to connect my new converter charger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.