cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new ride

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just brought home a 2022 F-150 STX with the 2.7 Ecoboost. It will be a little while before I will be towing with it but I'm excited to see how it does. My camper is around 4000 loaded so weight is not going be an issue. I can't believe all the tech stuff it has. I would be interested if anyone has any experience with this engine or truck.By the way this is my very first NEW vehicle!!
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM
33 REPLIES 33

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov,my heat selector is not that complicated. It has 4 push buttons to navigate it.One turns the system on,then vent,floor and defrost has a button. One thing I love is that you can have all three positions on a once.I am loving the gas mileage I am getting,19+ mpg mixed driving in cold weather and winter blend gas. I assume I will get better as the engine breaks in.Thanks for all the insight and information on the 2.7
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So, I wrote the below while drinking strong coffee and didn't realize how long it got...

I got a 2021 F150 XLT a few months ago.

The 2.7 has been out for awhile, correct? One kind of odd positive for it was a comment by a mechanic... "I don't really know much about them, we haven't seen any in the shop" LOL!

My wife has a 2015 Ford Fusion with an "ecoboost" engine (4cyl something), and it has been flawless for 7 years and 75,000 miles... and the wife has a lead foot.

I haven't heard any issues with the gas turbos - the negative stories I hear are about turbo diesels.

Anyway - FANTASTIC fuel mileage so far. My 2008 F250 5.4l was averaging 10mpg around town and 15ish mpg highway (not towing)... My 2021 ecoboost is 17mpg around town, and just touching 25mpg highway. Huge increase in mpg! Biggest complaint so far is the fuel tank, only 20 gallons. Great fuel mileage, but I am still filling up regularly because the tank is so small for a truck.

I haven't towed our 21ft TT yet, but it is well within the capacities of the truck according to the numbers. The new truck does tow a landscaping trailer just fine, with fuel mileage "dropping" to around 15mpg around town - my 2008 F250 averaged 9mpg. "Around town" mileage is a little tough to figure, because sometimes the truck has one trailer or another attached to it for days on end, other times days go by without a trailer attached. Either way, the mpg has been a huge improvement.

Crazy thing is the rear springs - the truck has a remarkably smooth ride, but a good payload capacity... looking under the truck, it has a long, thin leaf spring that obviously gives it a nice ride, but then just under it is a THICK "helper" spring for weight capacity. It looks like 3/4 inch thick! But it seems to work.

The amount of electronics is crazy, EVERYTHING on the truck is electronic. I know most new vehicles are basically all electronic, but with this truck Ford makes it obvious. Honestly, it has one of the most distracting dashboards of any vehicle I've driven - something is always beeping at me, some new message pops up, etc.

Needlessly complicated to do some things... if I want to adjust where the heat is coming from, I can't just look at a button with lights on the dashboard to tell me what the setting is, and simply push it to change. Nope. I have to find the button with the picture of heat/AC vents, push it, then look up at a message that pops up on the display screen, read the options, then choose an option. This happens with other things - everything goes through the display screen in the middle of the dashboard. Until I got used to most of the system, I seemed to be always looking at the display screen while driving instead of the road.

You use an app on your phone to start the truck if you want. It comes as part of most option packages. Works "good" - about 1 out of 4 times it won't "connect" with the truck, and I have to restart the app. Speaking of which... it is Slow. With my wife's remote, you push the button, the car lights come on, just a couple seconds later the car starts. With my truck, I have to "open" the app on my phone, push the "start" button for about 5 seconds until the circling thing stops circling, then wait... and wait... and wait. I guess the system uses the cell phone system, so the phone and truck have communicate for a bit before the truck decides to start? Usually takes close to 30 seconds. Not terrible, but just used to the sub 5 seconds of aftermarket starters.

I am aware that other vehicles, especially "high end" ones, have had systems like this for awhile, but this is the first time I've owned one that has all this included at what seems to be the "new normal" price for "standard option package" trucks.

Price-wise it wasn't terrible, around $45000. For the level of options and capabilities of the truck, I don't think that is too high. I started buying trucks decades ago, and EVERY YEAR people complain about truck prices, lol!! Yes, the dealership had a $91,000 F350 on their lot, but just on the other side of it was a row of under $50k trucks - loaded with all sorts of what used to be options. Just don't buy one of the gold plated ones if you want to spend less than $90,000!

blt2ski
Me Again wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
I liked the power mpg of the 2.7 when looking for a new truck last year. None of them had the higher than 6600gvw packages. At least the ones I found. That ruled them out.

Marty

Ability to haul 1600-1800 pound of groceries is not that bad!

Compared to my GM at a shade over 2000 lbs....
Most of the ones I found were 1400-1600. Had 3000 or 3500 awr. Compare that to 3950 ea.....a bit less mpg.....power was better than the 4.3 u have. Supercharger us nice at elevation.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
I liked the power mpg of the 2.7 when looking for a new truck last year. None of them had the higher than 6600gvw packages. At least the ones I found. That ruled them out.

Marty

Ability to haul 1600-1800 pound of groceries is not that bad!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Explorer II
Explorer II
I am on my second Ford with the 2.7L twin turbo Ecoboost.
The wife's 2021 Edge makes it our 4th Ecoboost. They are fun to drive
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am on my second Ford with the 2.7L twin turbo Ecoboost.

2020 Edge ST and it was really fun to drive with the Ford Performance tuned suspension.

It tow the trailer with the Can Am Spyder North in July with ease.

I traded it in on a F150 with 2.7L for more than I paid for it 15 months earlier. I miss driving it!!!

Return trip to Arizona.

Here is the reason for the F150.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
2112 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Save your money for turbos!
He just bought turbos :h

I'm guessing dodge guy means, save your money for the turbos when they fail or need replaced?
Ah, got it.

So when should I expect mine to fail? They have 155k miles over 10 years on them, 76k of that is heavy towing. Is it time to start taking up a collection?

OP - Enjoy your new truck. She's a beauty. Careful not to step in the BS here.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Glad you got the pic posting handled!

Wow, thats a seriously nice looking truck there. And your first new one too.
Great choice, happy motoring, and camping!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m not a Ford guy but that truck is sweet looking!
Ford is doing an amazing job with power out of them little engines!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, OP. The new F-150 is a beautiful truck; I'm sure you'll be very happy with it! It would certainly be my pick if I was in the market for a 1/2 ton.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bgiroux
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the new ride. I have the 2020 Lariat with the 3.5 ecoboost and tow an 8K lb trailer without issue. Very comfortable ride with and without the trailer. You’ll love it. Enjoy!!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother has a similar 2017 model with the 2.7 and loves it. Fuel economy is great. Pulls up to 7,000lbs with no trouble.

I have two models with the 3.5 and the 2.7 seems to have nearly as much power with significantly better fuel economy.

It will run just fine on 87 Octane, no need for premium.

I have found that if you want an expert on the troubles with these engines you have to find someone that doesn't own one. The owners seem to be blissfully ignorant of the myriad issues the non-owners report.

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL thanks for the help with picture stuff. You are absolutely right about not being Pops old 150. I had a 1988 and a 2003 150 in the past and this thing is like a spaceship compared to them. It rides so smooth and the 10 speed transmission is seamless. As far as the price goes....yeah it's more than I've ever spent but it is not cheap to repair aging vehicles anymore.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM