Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pricing on used rv...bargaining etc
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pricing on used rv...bargaining etc

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/22 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay going to be upsizing to a small class A and bought last one (class C from private individual). If their dealer sticker "sale: price is $94,999....what should I offer? The young newbie sales person let fly that he gets 20%...what can I expect to get this for? Any rough ideas of what they could have gotten this for...don't know if it was trade in but I do know they are always looking for more rv's because they sell a lot. Its a 2018 winnebago sunstar 27pe or vista same size.

Our Blog

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/22 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seventy-five. Then final at eighty.

This one is eighty-five. https://www.rvtrader.com/Winnebago-Sunstar-27pe/rvs-for-sale?make=WINNEBAGO%7C2307464&model=SUNSTAR%7C764964401&trim=27PE%7C53708

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/22 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How badly do you want this unit?

Who knows what the seller will accept. They may be desperate to unload it because it's been sitting with no interest or they may have 3 people who called about it today. All that will play into how much they are willing to deal.

Being able to walk away gives you a lot of bargaining power but you may not get this unit.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/22 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. We did walk but and I do not need it now. In fact hubs and I said we were not going to buy yesterday. It also had an old leak that was fixed but musty smell in back storage basement...which I told them was a deal breaker for me.

I just really have no clue how much lower any dealer will go. Hubby thought start at 50 and I was thinking they will laugh in our face.

There are MANY units on this lot of many kinds and they sell a lot and the place was buzzing.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/22 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The young newbie sales person let fly that he gets 20%..."
I wouldn't take that to mean he is getting 20% of the 100K price tag. He may get 20% of the profit.
Start wherever you want to. I would make it below what I am willing to pay so they have the chance to counter offer. Also do a good inspection. If there are repairs needed and they're price is a little over what you want to pay, fix that first and we will sign for that price.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you continue looking, always keep in mind that this is a business transaction. In actuality, you have all of the power in this deal as you have the money that they want and you can simply walk away. Unfortunately, you really have no way of truly knowing what they have in a used unit. I am much more likely to make a low-ball offer on a used item for this reason. I don't know that I would have offered 50 on the unit they had, but I probably would have offered 60 with the goal of buying around 75-80. If they get insulted and don't want to sell to me, so be it. They aren't selling unicorns and I just move on. I've never failed to buy a vehicle/camper that I wanted. Also, I only deal in out-the-door price. For me, it makes the transaction easier and ultimately, it is the only number that matters to me since it is what I have to pay.

Good luck in your search.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that this is a USED unit, not a new one. All dealers pay the same price for new units, so the markup is pretty much identical.

When it comes to used units, however, you have no way of knowing what that dealer paid for that unit. He may have gotten a killer deal on it, or, he may have stepped up to the pump and paid a premium for it just to have it in his inventory.

Don't worry about how much a dealer makes on a unit, or how much a salesperson makes. None of your (our) business. Are you concerned about how much your doctor, or plumber, or grocer make?

Just pay what you feel is fair to you, no more and no less. Factor in how many of the exact type of unit you are interested in are available within a reasonable distance of you, and buy accordingly.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Keep in mind that this is a USED unit, not a new one. All dealers pay the same price for new units, so the markup is pretty much identical.

When it comes to used units, however, you have no way of knowing what that dealer paid for that unit. He may have gotten a killer deal on it, or, he may have stepped up to the pump and paid a premium for it just to have it in his inventory.

Don't worry about how much a dealer makes on a unit, or how much a salesperson makes. None of your (our) business. Are you concerned about how much your doctor, or plumber, or grocer make?

Just pay what you feel is fair to you, no more and no less. Factor in how many of the exact type of unit you are interested in are available within a reasonable distance of you, and buy accordingly.

Good advice and how I have always shopped for RV's. I know what the price of every one of that same year and model is going for and I pit dealers against one another. A tactic that has served me well. Gotta do your homework. That said, during the COVID demand you could throw all that out the window. High demand for used RV's means they know someone will come along and pay what they want. In other words, RV dealers are not desperate to earn your business. Too much demand and not enough supply.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Buyer Beware !". Any bargains on RV likely will need repairs and some may be hidden and/or very expensive to repair !

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whether purchasing a car or an RV from a dealer, they use similar tactics to make you believe you got a great deal, or a certain % off. The first question dealer will ask is if you have a trade in, that is where the game begins. If you are really focused on a particular rig gather as much info as possible about the unit including current market pricing, many buyers are woefully uninformed, be sure to know your vehicles towing limits if purchasing a towable RV.

We have purchased 6 RVs in 3 decades of RVing, 3 new and 1 used from dealer lots. The other 2 used units including our current class A were purchased from private sellers, by far we got better prices, more time to view/inspect RV, and without out all the hassles of shopping on dealer's lot. With used motorized RVs maintenance of powertrain, chassis, and current condition of coach is more important than branding, get an inspection before buying.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pricing on used rv...bargaining etc
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.