cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missing catalytic converter

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
So we live in Minnesota and I went to where we have our motorhome stored to check on the batteries. Decided to start the motorhome to warm things up a bit and as soon as I turned the key there was a big boom and what sounded like the Daytona 500. Sure enough they got our catalytic converter. This is getting to be a huge problem at least in this part of the country. Talked to the manager and one of their trucks was also hit. There is a commercial property next door and 12 of theirs were taken. Police donโ€™t seem too interested. Security system was not working but I donโ€™t know what they would captured anyway. Like I said itโ€™s winter here so everyone is wearing heavy jackets and masks. Talked to my insurance company (Progressive) and they were very nice and are going to take care of everything minus my $125 deductible. Canโ€™t we get some laws past to prevent this???? Or better yet why donโ€™t these people just get a job.
21 REPLIES 21

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
eend wrote:
We had a cat stolen last week off one of work trucks. It was off a F250 and that thing has 2 cats on it.
It was going to cost $3200 Cnd plus install. So we just straight piped it. So we will have to live with the check engine light being on.

Some places have inspections that you have to pass. (None in my area though) I think some of the newer vehicles will go into "Limp Home Mode" if you did that and then not run very good.

eend
Explorer
Explorer
We had a cat stolen last week off one of work trucks. It was off a F250 and that thing has 2 cats on it.
It was going to cost $3200 Cnd plus install. So we just straight piped it. So we will have to live with the check engine light being on.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Heard that too. 1 down 1000 to go!
On the same note , if this keeps up the whole city of Seattle will be shut down before long. I-5 express lanes are now out of service for however long. Wire theft. Killed the elect and ITS systems for the express lanes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Saw on tv last night where they caught a group that had stolen or had in their possession 6+ million $$ worth of converters in MO. So maybe they do investigate!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
One of the things people are doing around here is wrapping them in barbed wire. Wonโ€™t. It wonโ€™t stop a determined thief but apparently it adds enough inconvenience to make them move on to an easier target.

Thieves will be targeting an ever shrinking number of potential cars as EVโ€™s donโ€™t have exhaust systems.

I would think motorhomes and trucks are easier targets as clearance and space to work is easier under them.

Stay safe out there.

Better than barbed wire!! -
A guy I worked with told me a long ago solution to having his expensive hubcaps (Olds Fiestas) on his '50 Merc stolen. He lived in a 2nd story apt at the time, over his parking spot - no garage.

Epoxied razor blades to the wheel "behind" the hubcaps. Late one night he heard a scream! Went out to his parking spot, found a hubcap on the ground - along with many blood drops.

Knowing the story teller wasn't one to "embellish" - I had no doubt the story was true (and for sure his "style" of problem solving!).....but happened on something similar on one of the forums....

A farmer just outside a small, rural, town had an older Chevy pickup. He installed a nice AM/FM radio/combo with a built-in CD player.

Came out to his truck one morning,found a hole in his dash where the radio had been... plus the thief had cut any and all wiring under the dash that he thought went to the radio - for quick & easy removal.

Solution for the replacement: Wrapped the wiring with fishing line with *LOTS* of fishing hooks !!
Late one night (early morning?) he also heard yelling and lots of cussing - -saw a pair of legs sticking out the door of his truck.

Called the local sheriff - who came out, saw the situation.....and asked the farmer for a cup of coffee (they chatted for awhile inside the house) before working on removing the perp from his "entanglement" - prior to a ride to the local grey-bar.

:B...:B

BTW - Razor wire -if you can find it would be a much better choice!

~

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Canโ€™t we get some laws past to prevent this???? Or better yet why donโ€™t these people just get a job.

We have laws to prevent this. a couple of them. Grand theft and tampering with an automobile, both are felonies in most states.

And they have a job.. Stealing catalytic converters.

Your best defense is some trail cameras that photograph anything that moves.. also If the RV is in a storage lot even if the lot has a policy of "not responsible for theft" a good lawyer MIGHT be able to get past that and get you some compensation. It's also an insurance claim.

Oh and yes I was being sarcastic about them having a job.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I was in MN last summer for several months. There was a billboard near me from a local pawn shop stating that they buy catalytic converters.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recyclers in MD must have copy of valid ID to buy a converter. A friend has a recycle yard and has around 900 vehicles in there. He sells no parts just cuts off the cats and stacks the rest. Big money but not worth buying from the thieves.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
As Ava and Jax have said, in my area they stolen, not for resale as a unit, but for the metal, in particular the precious metal (platinum??) inside. The precious metal is taken out and then the remaining metal is discarded separately. There is a metal recycling company that pays XX$ a 100lbs. They donโ€™t even look at it before going in the crusher.
Itโ€™s inconvenient and mildly expensive (with insurance) for most people, but can be VERY inconvenient and expensive for some. Last year a company in the area found out. 7 cube work vans, 7 missing catalytic converters missing Monday morning. 7+ employees without trucks to drive to the job sites unknown if they were paid) , 7 disappointed customers and the owner (and his insurance) with a $20000 repair bill.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
One of the things people are doing around here is wrapping them in barbed wire. Wonโ€™t. It wonโ€™t stop a determined thief but apparently it adds enough inconvenience to make them move on to an easier target.

Thieves will be targeting an ever shrinking number of potential cars as EVโ€™s donโ€™t have exhaust systems.

I would think motorhomes and trucks are easier targets as clearance and space to work is easier under them.

Stay safe out there.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is that our law makers have de-criminalized thefts like this and there aren't any consequences and often aren't any prosecutions for these crimes. Also it's fast and easy to cut them off. Plus it's too easy to sell them. Recycling yards pay $150 cash on the spot for a cat converter. Some of the precious metals in a converter is worth more than gold. It should be illegal to sell a cat without documentation such as vehicle VIN and drivers license/ID. Society is just too soft on crime these days.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A daughter's Prius cat (which has substantially more precious metals than any other cat) was stolen in a large center where she managed a Barnes and Noble. Daytime hours. $2,500 to replace, of which AAA paid $2,000. A week after the replacement, it was stolen AGAIN, in her driveway in Sacramento Ca. She gave up on the car, letting AAA pay her off.
I gave my 2007 Prius to a grand daughter in Phoenix. Two weeks later....YEP...Cat stolen in her apartment complex. My AAA insurance paid to replace that one. I installed a shield over it this time, at a cost of $300. They would need a grinder to get it this time.
Prius are the biggest targets here in California. But, recently, they have started going after other vehicles.
Gold is at $1,800/oz, Platinum $1,030/oz, Palladium $2,165/oz, Rhodium $16,800/oz.
Crime pays, I guess. I don't know how much Rhodium a cat uses, but......

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to me just prior to Thanksgiving when I was getting ready to leave for Florida. Started with a bang and figured I had blown out the muffler but someone had stolen my converter. Cost of replacement would be about $3200. I have $500 deductible insurance but it would delay my departure so I bought a length of flex tubing and installed it in place of the converter. So far I have had no problems. I have two years to process the claim if I choose to do so.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If there is no market the thefts would stop. Go after the slime and the buyers and it will stop. They should be required to bring in the rest of the vehicle with the cat.