cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 w/ 3.5L POWERboost towing experiences?

rtapia
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking to get a ‘22 F150 Lariat w/ the 3.5L Powerboost engine and Max Trailer tow package. For those of you that have a similar truck…
How heavy is your travel trailer?
What type of terrain to you tow on? Mountains? Hills? Flat?
How does the truck perform?
26 REPLIES 26

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
Here is what my build looks like:

2022 Lariat PowerBoost with HDPP

$72,000?!?! The 39 month LEASE payment is $858!!!

Why muck around at those prices, if you're gonna tow heavy just get the 350 and be done with it.

We leased a 2018 Explorer Sport with the 3.5L Ecoboost and towed a double-axle enclosed U-haul trailer from NY to WI, sure it had power to spare, but you could set your watch by the fuel stops, every 2 hrs and 93 octane only...

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
I think that I have it figured out. You have to specify the 6 1/2ft bed, which I thought that I had this morning but apparently did not. When you do that the 3.73 axle ratio comes up with 4wd. Here is what my build looks like:

2022 Ford towing guide:
2022 towing guide

If you look on page 13 you will find this wording:
"F-150 HEAVY-DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE
(OPTION CODE 627)
Increases GVWR to 7,850 lbs. on XL and XLT
LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires
18" silver aluminum heavy-duty wheels
Upgraded springs
9.75" gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking
rear axle"

The towing guide for the hybrid is on page 22 and you can see that the 145" wheelbase (5.5ft bed) comes with 3.55 gears while the 157" wheelbase (6.5FT bed) come with 3.73 gears.

It is interesting that the info on page 13 only specifies the GVWR for XL and XLT models.

SUPERCREW®
Axle GCWR 4x2 4x4
Engine Ratio (lbs.) 145.4" WB 157.2" WB 145.4" WB 157.2" WB
3.5L Hybrid V61 3.55 16,700 11,000
16,800 11,100
18,4002 12,700 12,700
3.73 17,000 11,000 11,000
12,400 12,400

All I'm seeing is the Max Trailer Tow Package available on a crew cab lariat 4x4 6.5' bed with a 3.73 axle gears ratio?

I see no option to select the HDPP package with any of the Powerboosts. The Powerboost GVWR is slightly increased by default, but that's to help compensate for the extra weight associated with the hybrid system.

The HDPP package is not available on the standard Lariat either, only on XLT and down.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that I have it figured out. You have to specify the 6 1/2ft bed, which I thought that I had this morning but apparently did not. When you do that the 3.73 axle ratio comes up with 4wd. Here is what my build looks like:

2022 Ford towing guide:
2022 towing guide

If you look on page 13 you will find this wording:
"F-150 HEAVY-DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE
(OPTION CODE 627)
Increases GVWR to 7,850 lbs. on XL and XLT
LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires
18" silver aluminum heavy-duty wheels
Upgraded springs
9.75" gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking
rear axle"

The towing guide for the hybrid is on page 22 and you can see that the 145" wheelbase (5.5ft bed) comes with 3.55 gears while the 157" wheelbase (6.5FT bed) come with 3.73 gears.

It is interesting that the info on page 13 only specifies the GVWR for XL and XLT models.

SUPERCREW®
Axle GCWR 4x2 4x4
Engine Ratio (lbs.) 145.4" WB 157.2" WB 145.4" WB 157.2" WB
3.5L Hybrid V61 3.55 16,700 11,000
16,800 11,100
18,4002 12,700 12,700
3.73 17,000 11,000 11,000
12,400 12,400

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
^^^Agree. I couldn't build any configuration that allowed both PowerBoost and HDPP.

With the extra weights of the electric motor and battery, I don't see how they can offer the HDPP.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
You guys seem to be right about HDPP for 2022. With the 2021 build and price it came right up on its own. This year I can't get it. I didn't expect that to happen and this morning was the first time I could get all the way through the process for the 2022 model.

That was half the reason that I was interested in trading. I am very disappointed.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
^^^Agree. I couldn't build any configuration that allowed both PowerBoost and HDPP.

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Based on the 3.5ecoboost and this being an improvement, it should do great.

But as someone mentioned, payload will likely be your limitation.

Payload should be the similar as a 3.5 Ford raised the GVWR by 300lbs on the power boost models.

It is much easier now to get the Max Payload Package than it used to be and is especially easy on the 4wd Powerboost models. With MPP you should have adequate payload for most campers.

When I spec out a 4wd Lariat with 6.5ft bed and Powerboost MPP comes by default.

According to the Ford website you can not get the max payload option with any trim level with the Powerboost engine.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good info groover!
Bottom line, like any other vehicle it’s a personal decision.
Will it tow any better than a std ecoboost? No, not really. Will it be faster stoplight to stoplight when you drop the hammer? I’d sure as ____hope so. That I like!
Will the added cost be recouped by mileage savings and resale value X number of years down the road? Idk, and don’t really care as I’m not interested in one. But I would be if I was.
Will the added components and complexity result in addl cost down the road? Same answer.

It’s all about how much value you find in your personal investment.

I think Ford attached themselves to new features that no one else offers. (powerboost and pro power). That alone will sell some trucks. It’s all about marketing.
Pro power while a cool option provided it performs like advertised ( no reason to doubt it, just saying), seems somewhat useless to me, in my line of work. If the generator load has to stay within 50-100’ of my tailgate, it’s virtually useless to me, personally and professionally.
But some may find value in it ….if the marketing is good.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtapia wrote:
I’m looking to get a ‘22 F150 Lariat w/ the 3.5L Powerboost engine and Max Trailer tow package. For those of you that have a similar truck…
How heavy is your travel trailer?
What type of terrain to you tow on? Mountains? Hills? Flat?
How does the truck perform?

Since no-one here has offered any personal knowledge of how the powerboost performs I suggest that the OP go to YouTube and search for F150 Powerboost towing. Several good videos pop up.

The bottom line is that on level highways the hybrid option provides very little benefit but does reduce your fuel capacity by 6 gallons.

The benefits of hybrids come from reclaiming energy that would be lost to the brakes and re-using that energy the next time that a lot of energy is needed. However, the boost duration is limited by battery size and provided very limited benefit on a long continuous slope like TFL's Ike Gauntlet run. The small battery gave out quickly going up the hill and filled to capacity swiftly on the downhill run.

Coincidentally, yesterday my son pulled a 4,000lb utility trailer on a local route with short, steep choppy hills with his Tesla and reported that with increased regen going down the hills his net power use was the same with the empty trailer as with the full trailer. I suspect that the Powerboost would also do better on that application or any other where you are frequently shifting from the brake to the gas pedal.

The other big improvement with the Powerboost comes from shutting off the gas engine when stopped or at very low speeds. Unfortunately, Ford disable that feature while in Trailer Tow mode.

On the plus side, if you get the 7.2kw output option the truck makes for a heck of good generator when boondocking.

I am strongly thinking about getting a Powerboost because with my business I spend a lot of time pulling a heavy trailer on the local 2 lane roads with the short hills and frequent stop signs so I would get maximum benefit from the hybrid assist. Also, I really like the idea of having a great generator around.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mike134 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Payload should be the similar as a 3.5 Ford raised the GVWR by 300lbs on the power boost models.

The point wasn't to compare ecoboost to powerboost payload but 1/2 ton payloads in general vary wildly. Unless it's changed, even if you get the max trailer package, payloads are not always the same.

Have them pull the actual payload (and get it in writing, if the truck isn't on the lot where you can check the door sticker).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike134 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

It is much easier now to get the Max Payload Package than it used to be and is especially easy on the 4wd Powerboost models. With MPP you should have adequate payload for most campers.

When I spec out a 4wd Lariat with 6.5ft bed and Powerboost MPP comes by default.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I have not towed with one, but I did have a crew cab 4x4 6.5' box XLT for a company demo on Easter weekend of last year. I absolutely loved the truck and the power was instant and seamless; I'm not sure that any other stock pickup would have more off the line power than these. It also got 28 mpg driving it fairly easily in the mountains around here. It has the now tried and true 3.5L Ecoboost engine so I'm sure it will be reliable long term. We likely would have had several of them at my work by now, but the chip shortage has changed that, at least for now.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bionic Man wrote:
My neighbor got one as soon as they came out. He uses it to pull a 27 ish foot Reflection TT. He likes the truck but says it gets absolutely horrible towing MPG. I don’t know how fast he drives, but says that he gets 5 - 7 MPG. My guess is he is running 75 - 80. He never complains about power though.

I’ve actually changed my position on the EcoBoost. I like the engine. Power is great. Solo MPG is better than competitor engines. Power really is unrivaled in half tons (at least where I live at elevation). All that said, if TOWING MPG is what’s most important, I think you are better off looking in another direction. But how many miles do you tow vs drive solo?

Towing at 75-80mph, 5-7mpg is actually pretty good. Takes a lot of HP to maintain those speeds towing something with the aerodynamics of a brick.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV