cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY storm shield / cover for inverter generator?

tonyclifton
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody got a low-buck DIY solution to keep rain/sleet/snow off the generator while it is running? One time I set a piece of plywood on top which sufficed for some heavy snow but that wouldn't do if there was any wind. Curious what quick and easy ideas others have used.
23 REPLIES 23

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
tonyclifton wrote:
I thought old retired guys were more chill than this. Do folks get this way at actual RV parks?

Sometimes, especially when the discourse is alcohol fueled. :B

tonyclifton
Explorer
Explorer
I thought old retired guys were more chill than this. But men tend to bicker endlessly on most hobby forums I visit. I still can extract a tiny nugget of helpful information if I read between the distractions. Do folks get this way at actual RV parks?

Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, did any of this help?
It feels like being back in the 3rd grade here, doesn't it?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe we can forgo the chest beating and get back to the OP's question
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like this cover yer genny is getting fire up just like the rest of them.
The best part is watching people argue both ways and not consider that the answer is still super subjective. Yet very few qualify their answer or opinion. ( I did, btw)
If a guy says Iโ€™m camping in the rainy weather for months on end and I use my generator 2 hours a day, my Recommendation would be to stick it under the truck or camper when not in use.
But occasional rain or in use while raining , pffft, fire it up in the rain.
The constant belittling by some just appears to be part of their natureโ€ฆor superpower!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
MFL wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Maybe some of us value our equipment more and would like to keep them in good order for a much longer life?
I can always count on you to single me out for criticism.

Look at his trailer on profile page, then compare to yours. Envy can be cause for the less fortunate, to attempt to belittle the more fortunate.

Jerry

I don't "envy" anyone here but I can count on some to point out leaving $1K plus items out in all kinds of weather and bragging it never hurts it..

I rather spend less, fix things that others throw away because they abused it and use those items for a long, long time.. Yes, my stuff lasts because I care, it is the reason I have a 120 yr auto in working condition and 50 yr old antique auto that I am currently restoring :B

Making a nice dry shelter for any gen is a good idea, would rather have a dry gen with dry outlets than a rain soaked gen with wet outlets any day.. The bragger just might not wake up after touching their rain soaked gen..

I am with 2oldman on this one 100%. It is in no way abuse. The Hondas are very well protected.

I have WAY over 1000 (probably over 2000) hours on the Honda I bought new, and I have no idea how many hours the one I bought used had before I bought it, but it is approaching 1000 hours since I installed the hour meter on it. I used it for a couple of years before installing it.

If I think of it and I know the weather is going to get bad I will put them under the front overhang or under the slide. If I wake up and they are in the rain, they stay where they are. For the nervous Nancies that think I am going to die because I have my generator within eyesight of my camper, I have two CO detectors, and one of them I have verified is accurate. I know how to do that kind of stuff.

There is a reason the Hondas are worth what they cost. I have no idea how the cheaper gennies are sealed but I know what I have.

Also regarding using them when they are wet, where is the path to ground? I don't drive a ground rod for my generators.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I normally just tie a rope to 2 saplings and throw a 6 x 8 tarp over it in an A frame or leanto then either tie the corners to other saplings or bushes or stake them out to the ground.
A good cheap solution... until the wind starts blowing ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I normally just tie a rope to 2 samplings and throw a 6 x 8 tarp over it in an A frame or leanto then either tie the corners to other saplings or bushes or stake them out to the ground.

If no trees, I use a couple tent poles and stake the tarp out in an A frame. Another thing I will do is tie a rope to the center of the rear bumper and tie the other end to something near by, tie 2 ends of the tarp to the opposite ends of the bumper and stake out the other 2 corners. In all cases I make it high enough to crouch under it to put gas in, check the oil & pull start it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Things are different in different places.
They sure are. We don't get a lot of rain up here.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Bring those puppies down here and you will find out you do need a cover and will begin to look for a boat.

Things are different in different places. Why abuse your equipment and it is abuse.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I've used my honda generators outside in the rain (western oregon) the vast majority of time they have been in use.... Others with us have done the same.
The design of the case, like where the choke is, makes it difficult for water to intrude, unless you're also in a blowing gale. I will set mine under the front of the coach (sheltered) sometimes, but running in the rain has never been an issue. And the new ones have rubber shields over the outlets.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my honda generators outside in the rain (western oregon) the vast majority of time they have been in use. Yes, Honda says not to, but after 15 years and still running fine I'm ok with it. figure rain does less damage than a plastic tarp near the exhaust.

I just make sure it won't end up in a puddle/lake. Others with us have done the same.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Maybe some of us value our equipment more and would like to keep them in good order for a much longer life?

Look at his trailer on profile page, then compare to yours. Envy can be cause for the less fortunate, to attempt to belittle the more fortunate.

Jerry

I don't "envy" anyone here but I can count on some to point out leaving $1K plus items out in all kinds of weather and bragging it never hurts it..

I rather spend less, fix things that others throw away because they abused it and use those items for a long, long time.. Yes, my stuff lasts because I care, it is the reason I have a 120 yr auto in working condition and 50 yr old antique auto that I am currently restoring :B

Making a nice dry shelter for any gen is a good idea, would rather have a dry gen with dry outlets than a rain soaked gen with wet outlets any day.. The bragger just might not wake up after touching their rain soaked gen..

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Jerry