Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Opinions on a small block Chevy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Opinions on a small block Chevy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/22 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

Will the smaller engine create a larger payload capacity?

Than what? The same truck ( a GMT 800) with a 8.1L or Duramax?
Yes, on paper, it will, but the weight reduction will be all off of the front axle, which doesn't help your real world payload for a TC that sits over the rear axle.
And the difference is relatively small, maybe 100+ lbs for the big block and a few hundred for the diesel.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/22 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest concern, especially living in FL, would be adequate cooling. Some manufacturers offered oversized radiators in their towing package. This is something to look into.

Also. Check the rear axle ratio. You probably don't want anything lower than about 3.73.

Of course buying used means you will be doing normal maintenance: brakes, shocks, steering component. Might be a good time to add an extra leaf to the rear or go deluxe and add a springs (bags).

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/22 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

My biggest concern, especially living in FL, would be adequate cooling. Some manufacturers offered oversized radiators in their towing package. This is something to look into.

Also. Check the rear axle ratio. You probably don't want anything lower than about 3.73.

Of course buying used means you will be doing normal maintenance: brakes, shocks, steering component. Might be a good time to add an extra leaf to the rear or go deluxe and add a springs (bags).

He’s talking about a 2500/3500 truck.
There are no cooling system “options”. And by lower, you mean deeper gears, which will absolutely help the truck he’s buying….if his intended purpose is as a hauler, as stated.
And there is a great chance it’s a 4.10 truck. That said, 3.73s will work and I wouldn’t turn down an otherwise good truck for having taller gears for his purpose.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/22 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 3500 dually crew cab might be a little porky for a 6.0 gas, at least by today's standards, but for hauling a TC and towing a dinky boat in flat Florida you've got no issues there. I'd be more worried about electrical gremlins than powertrain problems, but who knows?

I'm not really a GM guy, but I did own a 6.0 powered 2500HD for several years that I used for landscaping. It had plenty of snort for anything I threw at it and always kept up with traffic. My old dad (diehard Ford diesel guy) went with me once to cut up a tree. Headed home in my truck with the bed stacked higher than the cab with green fir rounds pulling a 16' flatbed trailer loaded with rounds, I got on the freeway and stomped the gas. His comment- "Holy $h!z, this thing goes like a [email protected] ape!"

Never had any trouble with that truck at all, but it did like the gas.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/22 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be shocked if that truck didn't get a 4.10. They gave them out like candy in the 2500. I wouldn't sweat cooling, it's a 1 ton, I doubt they overlooked that. It'll hold overdrive better with nothing more than a PCM tune. Still won't win any races, but it'll get it done without killing itself. I'm shocked that they had the gall to put a 6.0 in that much truck though. You can always put a blower on it, don't let the mileage scare you. I put a blower on my 1500 at around 230k, it's 287k now. My dually has had a blower on it for a long, long time. So long that when I bought it I had to have the blower rebuilt. The dually only has like 160k on it.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/22 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you tow something with the camper? If you are pulling a 7k lb boat, that would change the calculations.

Just the camper, it should be fine. No it's not going to pull like the big turbo diesels but should be well within the motor's capabilities.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/22 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It just occurred to me that I have the same year and same model truck as the OP is looking at, but with the 8.1L.

If the cooling system can keep that fire breathing behemoth from melting down, it won't have a lick of trouble with a 6.0L. Any cooling issues will be age/mileage related, not design related.

* This post was edited 01/28/22 07:17am by mkirsch *

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/22 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

My 2011 2500HD has the 6.0 and this is how much oil it used in 5000 miles hauling my 4000 lb camper for every one of those miles.

This has been the most trouble free vehicle O have ever owned.

My best friend is an electrical engineer and the company he works for has 4 trucks like mine and they all have over 300,000 miles on them.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/22 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many other 6.0 gasser folks are saying, it is an engine that never gives up. My 2012 GMC with the 6.0 has NEVER been to the shop for anything (10 years old on April 13) with only oil changes, air filters, and one battery. There is a lot to say for longevity in an engine that isn't being squeezed for every HP that GM could have probably got out of it.

[image]

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, please post a pic of the front of your current truck....I'm really struggling to figure what that person's vision was with that front clip!

Also, if you like the rest of the truck and it runs good and the issues are only caused by that fugly nose, parts are dime a dozen to put an original front clip back on it. Unless you don't do that kind of work, then dump it, but you wont get much money looking like that and having issues.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Opinions on a small block Chevy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.