Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Reservations at federal parks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservations at federal parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mayor30 wrote:

Another rule at many of these parks is no early check in. So even if the site is open,you cannot use the site even if you wanted to pay for early arrival.Most commercial parks allow for early arrival or late departure if you pay extra.

If you want to arrive early, you simply make the reservation starting the night before. Even with campgrounds that have a "must occupy the site the first night", they don't cancel your reservation until checkout time the next day. So, if you want to arrive early on Monday, you book for Sunday night - as long as you arrive before check out time on Monday, they consider you to have " occupied" the site for Sunday night. There are few exceptions to this.

I was talking about if you drive 400 miles and pull into a COE campground. Check in time is 5pm. Because the weather was good,there were no accidents,you arrive at 4pm instead of 5. I have read several instances where they not only won't let you occupy your site, they won't let you pull over and wait. You must exit the campground and wait some where else.I agree if you want to arrive at 9am versus 5pm to make a reservation. This is for people that move from park to park towards their destination. It is not always possible to time your arrival perfectly.

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I routinely arrive at COE parks "too early."

The few times sites were still occupied I was offered parking in the lot by the boat ramps; if the occupants had already checked out I've always been permitted to go to the sites. At some parks of course there's no room to pull over and wait.

-jbh-

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is the concept of CC only for camping reservations even a discussion point?
How else would you make an online or phone reservation? Promise to send them $46.57 exact change? Lol.
CC would be easier at campgrounds that still only accept cash/check in the little envelope.
Last summer wife didn’t bring the checkbook. Hell, we only write about 5 checks a year.
Had to drive into town for change to pay the bill, lol. Needed boat gas anyway but not the point.
Although I understand it’s not possible everywhere or feasible. If no cell service, it’s hard to have a CC machine.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/22 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mayor30 wrote:

I was talking about if you drive 400 miles and pull into a COE campground. Check in time is 5pm. Because the weather was good,there were no accidents,you arrive at 4pm instead of 5. I have read several instances where they not only won't let you occupy your site, they won't let you pull over and wait. You must exit the campground and wait some where else.I agree if you want to arrive at 9am versus 5pm to make a reservation. This is for people that move from park to park towards their destination. It is not always possible to time your arrival perfectly.

So you just go park at the day use area for an hour. Or make a shopping or dining stop. Or fill up your tank.

One or two hours isn't really a major problem.

And as a camper, I'd get a bit annoyed if someone parked in fron of my campsite and just sat there for an hour waiting to move into another site.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/22 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 PM? really? I've seen 2 PM which is a PITA but not 5

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/22 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Yes,5pm at Canyon Lake in Texas and 7 Points, Raystown,Pa

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/22 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the number of public servants stealing cash being prosecuted it's no wonder they want a credit card.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/22 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Priority for federal park reservation system is that they are unable to solve the problem of insiders who block the choicest campsites for their friends.

I was booking a good campsite in the Village at Yosemite NP seconds after it's opening for the next calendar cycle. And lo and behold, by a stroke of incredible miracle, it's all already booked solid.

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y Sam, I would guess in your case it's the early 2 weekers booking sites before they actually plan to use them and then either letting them sit empty or cancelling later the dates they don't actually want. Got to find a way to end this practice.
JMHO

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Yes, some COE campgrounds have a 4pm checkout time. It works great for us as frequent weekenders as it means we can get up and do something at the park rather than just fix breakfast and pack up.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservations at federal parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.