cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NH to Florida in January

Kyedog
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided I want to spend a couple months in Florida this winter. I would like to leave NH in January and go home in March. I have a 30’ travel trailer. My question concerns probably just my first overnight out on the road. My camper will be winterized. I really can’t drive more than six hours a day which will put me in pretty cold weather for that first overnight. I usually go rte 7 to Albany 87 to 81.I hate 81.Anyway are there year round campgrounds? Also staying in a hotel with a trucker parking lot came to mind. Was hoping to get some experienced suggestions.
5 REPLIES 5

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Kyedog wrote:
I have decided I want to spend a couple months in Florida this winter. I would like to leave NH in January and go home in March.

Do you already have reservations secured? It's typically "challenging", to say the least, finding spots in Florida January-March.
2017 LTV Unity

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
Jonestown KOA on I-81 is open all year. It's our first stop from Vermont to Florida

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Where in NH are you? I'm in Merrimack and Newburgh is only 3.5 hours from here. With the weather we are going to get tomorrow I'd think about waiting until at least next week. It looks like there's going to be a warm-up next week. I would definitely stay in a hotel the first night. I'd target a city/town to stay in, get on Tripadvisor.com and see what's available in the area, then make a few phone calls to see if they can accommodate the rig. We've done that when we've had to change plans last minute.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Kyedog
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about that
6 hours brings me to around Newburgh NY

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with year round rv parks north of the Mason-Dixon but Falling Waters Campsites just over the Potomac River in WV is open all year as is Candy Hill in Winchester, VA. Both along I81. I'm too old to rough it in the cold so we spend the first 2 nights in motels. Used Google Maps to scope out parking and then called motel to be sure. We go to FL by way of Mobile but our first stop is at the Sleep Inn in Wytheville, VA at the intersection of I81 and I77 if you're going that far south. You may get more helpful responses if you say how far 6 hours is from home. Anyhow, hope you enjoy FL.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS